Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehdee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2006
i got my 1.83 MBP about a week before the first price drop/speed bump [early May] (ended up being compensated).

to my chagrin, it was an early build week, and had the dreaded whine. i toughed it out, and waited for the 'fix'...

i brought my mbp into the campus hardware service centre at my school [Dalhousie in Halifax, Nova Scotia], and pretty much told them what the problem was, and what they needed to order me, etc... they phoned me yesterday morn and told me my logic board was in.

so i brought it in, and within a couple of hours they had the new board in.

after a solid 24 hrs with it, I can say this computer is QUIET. dead QUIET. i can't believe the difference. brand new computer. while i will admit that it seems a bit warmer (could all be in my head), the trade off is worth it.

anyone with a whiner, just get it in for the l.b. swap, and you'll be pleased.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
The new logic board lowers the "electric whine" by 4.5 dB. It is still apparent on my MacBook Pro but I am fine with it because it is getting replaced next week...

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
did you get a speed bump? also my mbp whines but not consistently im thinking about sending it in. but ive heard some horror stories.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.