Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
I am constantly getting the dreaded beachball. :mad:

I have done all the usual things to try and speed up my computer. I have deleted my cashe, cookies, shut down all things "running in the background", I have even resorted to PC strategies such as restarting my computer or some form of "defragmenting."

I have run memory apps to free up memory and have plenty of extra memory space and storage.

What can I do to get my MBP to stop freezing?

Help!!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I have run memory apps to free up memory and have plenty of extra memory space and storage.

What can I do to get my MBP to stop freezing?

Help!!

For starters, stop using memory clean apps. They do more damage than good.

I'm not sure what system you have, so let's assume you have an HDD and not an SSD. Please could you run through the troubleshooting in the order below. If there is an issue identified, don't worry about the other stages after that; stop, reply/quote this comment with what has an issue, and we'll go from there.

1) Check HDD isn't corrupted by verifying SMART data

2) Run Disk Utility volume verification

3) Ensure OS X is fully up-to-date

4) Restart with reopen windows when logging back in disabled/unticked.

Speak soon.

Reactions: jusacruiser

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
What system do you have? and which year?

How much memory? SSD?
I have a 2010 MBP and NOT the Solid State Drive. 4GB of Memory
[doublepost=1469132753][/doublepost]
For starters, stop using memory clean apps. They do more damage than good.

I'm not sure what system you have, so let's assume you have an HDD and not an SSD. Please could you run through the troubleshooting in the order below. If there is an issue identified, don't worry about the other stages after that; stop, reply/quote this comment with what has an issue, and we'll go from there.

1) Check HDD isn't corrupted by verifying SMART data

2) Run Disk Utility volume verification

3) Ensure OS X is fully up-to-date

4) Restart with reopen windows when logging back in disabled/unticked.

Speak soon.
Ok.....I will run through the steps above. But I don't have SSD. I have a 2010 MBP and 4 GB of Memory. Let me work on your suggestions now.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Ok.....I will run through the steps above. But I don't have SSD. I have a 2010 MBP and 4 GB of Memory. Let me work on your suggestions now.

That's great, thank you for taking the time to run through the steps. Do let know the news either way! :)

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
That's great, thank you for taking the time to run through the steps. Do let know the news either way! :)

Keys.....Finished all the steps successfully! But the real test is to see how my computer behaves over the next day or so. So far, so good.

Thanks for your help. Especially since, it was very specific.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
2010 MBP on original hard drive? Keep a backup handy, that hard drive's getting a bit on the old side of things for a laptop.

All mechanical hard drives will fail, it's a question of when, not if.

Hard drives tend to slow to a crawl (and thus slow the whole computer down) before croaking. I'd be wary of yours if you've been getting those beachballs out of nowhere.

Reactions: old-wiz

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
If the problems persist and the HDD isn't failing, it could also be the SATA cable.

If you plan on keeping the computer for much longer I'd also suggest upgrading to a SSD. It is the absolute best upgrade you can do on nearly any computer.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Keys.....Finished all the steps successfully! But the real test is to see how my computer behaves over the next day or so. So far, so good.

Thanks for your help. Especially since, it was very specific.

Did the SMART data come back clean or kick up a warning?

In all honesty as other posters have mentioned, I'd recommend replacing the HDD with an SSD. The latest OSs don't run smoothly on spinning drives at the best of times, but as you've got a 5-6 year old drive, wear-and-tear dictates that it'll be much slower than new anyway.

Double the RAM to 8GB, HDD for an SSD, and it'll be running better than new :)

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Last edited:

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
Agree on the HD cable, there are numerous reports of this (use google) where the only symptom was the beachball all the time

I had some beachball issues when my disk got too full. Cleaning up the disk to provide some free space mad a big difference. OP: How full is your drive?

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
2010 MBP on original hard drive? Keep a backup handy, that hard drive's getting a bit on the old side of things for a laptop.

Hard drives tend to slow to a crawl (and thus slow the whole computer down) before croaking. I'd be wary of yours if you've been getting those beachballs out of nowhere.
My computer has been getting very slow again. And I appreciate your warning below, about my computer croaking. My memory app says that it is my Safari that is the culprit in using up memory. Any suggestions to prevent my Safari Memory from being choked to death? Thanks!

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
My computer has been getting very slow again. And I appreciate your warning below, about my computer croaking. My memory app says that it is my Safari that is the culprit in using up memory. Any suggestions to prevent my Safari Memory from being choked to death? Thanks!

Did you read the suggestions that I and others posted above ?

Reactions: jerryk

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
I once had an unresponsive script operating on my MBP from a certain website that was showing me a beach ball everywhere. I got a hold of a Firefox extension called YesScript (a Javascript blocker) and I blacklisted the script from appearing. No more unresponsive script and no more beach ball.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Double your RAM to 8 gig, replace the hard drive with an SSD, done.

Reactions: jerryk

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
You don't need a memory app, activity monitor comes with OS X and already monitors all of that.

If you go into activity monitor when you feel the slowdown, in the memory pane, look at the graph on the bottom of the window. It the graph is green coloured, you don't need more memory.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The advice you have been given above about upgrading to an SSD is THE BEST advice you'll get.

You can buy a 240gb SSD for about $60 now (or even less). Installation takes about 15 minutes with the right tools. Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved (it's easy).

If you want to "cure the beachballs", THIS is the way to do it.

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
Before the issues with the power controller and the flickery screen, my mid-2010 13" was getting ridiculously slow. Put it this way, my iPad 3 running iOS 9.3 was faster! Apps taking 10-20 bounces to open, then beachballs after opening apps, slow to boot and shut down.

Had it not died, I'd been planning to at least double the ram, then look at an SSD. Moving to the 2015 rMPB is like another world, I know it's a 4-5 year newer machine, but the specs (on paper) aren't much higher but the user experience is so much more satisfying. I now find myself wanting to use the computer, not putting it off!

natallica

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA

Actually ALL drives will fail. I do data recovery and can tell you that SSDs have their own issues (board problems, crappy NAND chips in the cheaper models, and major firmware bugs) so you should NEVER be unprepared for a failure. Always have current backups in more than one location.

Otherwise, I will be perfectly happy to help in the event of a failure, but it won't be as cheap as having proper backups!

;)

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
You don't need a memory app, activity monitor comes with OS X and already monitors all of that.

If you go into activity monitor when you feel the slowdown, in the memory pane, look at the graph on the bottom of the window. It the graph is green coloured, you don't need more memory.
Activity Monitor.....I need to be looking in there more....and hunting for and shutting down memory hogs!

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Besides the hardware reasons slowing down the machine, couldn't there be a possibility of malware slowing down the machine? Heck, there could even be some software program causing the slowdowns. The memory cleaner program could be deleting caches that the computer constantly tries to rebuild. On an HDD that would be a death sentence for productivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.