Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
Hi guys

Ive maxxed out my MBP mid 2012, and when i go to edit 4k 60fps recorded from my Iphone 11ProMax it just can't play it back.

So, Im thinking of recording in 1080 60fps and see how that works then converting to 4k once finished editing.

Apart from buying a new MBP any suggestions?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I don’t see any point in upscaling to 4K after recording in HD. You will not gain anything.

As for the stuttering, you are out of luck unless you have a model that allows you to upgrade the video card.
I am in the same boat with my 2015 MBP.

EDIT: I’ve just re-read your post and realised that I have assumed the ‘stuttering’. What you are saying is that it just doesn’t play back, at all. In which case there could be an issue with Codecs compatibility. What are you using to play back? Is the problem the same in iMovie as ell as QuickTime? Have you tried converting using Handbrake first?

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
I don’t see any point in upscaling to 4K after recording in HD. You will not gain anything.

As for the stuttering, you are out of luck unless you have a model that allows you to upgrade the video card.
I am in the same boat with my 2015 MBP.

EDIT: I’ve just re-read your post and realised that I have assumed the ‘stuttering’. What you are saying is that it just doesn’t play back, at all. In which case there could be an issue with Codecs compatibility. What are you using to play back? Is the problem the same in iMovie as ell as QuickTime? Have you tried converting using Handbrake first?
Thanks

I’m pretty sure it’s because my comp can’t handle the 4K. I’ve tried different players and different editing programs but it’s the same. It does play, but just stutters.

So do you think 1080 at 60 should be ok?
I’ll look into the codecs but pretty sure it’s just recording on standard iPhone settings

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Thanks

I’m pretty sure it’s because my comp can’t handle the 4K. I’ve tried different players and different editing programs but it’s the same. It does play, but just stutters.

So do you think 1080 at 60 should be ok?
I’ll look into the codecs but pretty sure it’s just recording on standard iPhone settings
If it plays back (albeit badly) then it has nothing to do with codecs.
As I said, I have the same problem on my 2015 MBP, although probably not as pronounced.

Upscaling from HD (1080) to 4K will not add any detail to the footage. It will just make the file bigger.

Reactions: FyerFyer

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
If it plays back (albeit badly) then it has nothing to do with codecs.
As I said, I have the same problem on my 2015 MBP, although probably not as pronounced.

Upscaling from HD (1080) to 4K will not add any detail to the footage. It will just make the file bigger.
Thanks man

I’m new to this so still on the basics. Hopefully then 1080 at 60 should be ok then..?

Weird , as I’m sure my 6s I recorded stuff at 4K and it was fine. Maybe I’m misremembering

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Thanks man

I’m new to this so still on the basics. Hopefully then 1080 at 60 should be ok then..?

Weird , as I’m sure my 6s I recorded stuff at 4K and it was fine. Maybe I’m misremembering

As far as I know, your MBP should handle HD (1080) without problems.
As for whether HD quality is sufficient for you, all I can say is that unless you need to produce professional level footage (in which case i'd suggest you buy better equipment), you should be absolutely fine.

I watch 1080 HD movies on my 1080 HD television and never once I have wished I had a 4kTV.

Reactions: FyerFyer

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
As far as I know, your MBP should handle HD (1080) without problems.
As for whether HD quality is sufficient for you, all I can say is that unless you need to produce professional level footage (in which case i'd suggest you buy better equipment), you should be absolutely fine.

I watch 1080 HD movies on my 1080 HD television and never once I have wished I had a 4kTV.
Thanks mate. I’m gonna try today and see how I get on

Reactions: Wando64

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
Just to update, the 1080 options plays fine, all FPS’s, but in my editing software (Wondershare Filmora), same issue..?

Even weirder the 1080 60fps plays and edits fine in IMovie…!?!

I have a Final Cut licence somewhere so I’ll try it in there to see what’s going on.

Any thoughts why one software is ok and the other not so much?
Again, weirdly, the stock clips in Filmora play fine and are high quality but my clips from my phone play awful..

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
If the 4k footage is encoded with HEVC aka h265 then its going to stutter as that model lacks any h265 hardware accelerators for smooth playback. What you can do is convert the 4k files to Prores and then try editing them. I suggest to put those in a fast drive like an SSD. I have the same (I guess) 2.6ghz 1Gb vram & 16Gb ram 15" 2012 MacBook Pro and I am able to edit on Final cut pro x 4k files from cinema cameras without any issues most of the time.

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
If the 4k footage is encoded with HEVC aka h265 then its going to stutter as that model lacks any h265 hardware accelerators for smooth playback. What you can do is convert the 4k files to Prores and then try editing them. I suggest to put those in a fast drive like an SSD. I have the same (I guess) 2.6ghz 1Gb vram & 16Gb ram 15" 2012 MacBook Pro and I am able to edit on Final cut pro x 4k files from cinema cameras without any issues most of the time.
Thanks, I'll give the conversion a go!

Ive been experimenting a bit and it does seem the main issue was the software I was using (Wondershare Filmora). Tried recording in different formats and most except 4k 60 work in Final Cut and iMovie when playing back (not sure about editing).

However, my Final Cut Pro keeps crashing now upon booting (10.4.7)
Ive been researching what is most compatible as I can't upgrade because it isn't compatible with Catalina.

QUICK UPDATE: Im using 10.5.1 now and so far it seems pretty stable with my MBP mid 2012.
Ill keep playing with it but honestly, the cutting/editing is really easy and I enjoy most on my Iphone using Imovie

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.