Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

None Such

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
Is that normal?

It's been like that since I bought it and I thought it sounded odd but never asked anyone about it. It works fine however.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
I also wondered about mine. I thought the thing was going to self destruct the first time I put a disc in. Wow is that thing loud! I just didn't bother asking about it since it seems to function properly otherwise.

None Such

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
The sound it makes is a (in my best mbp impression) "reer reer reer chomp chomp" It does the whirring sound when reading a disc as well, which everyone mentioned. Is the sound I described(very poorly) normal as well?

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
My DVD drive in my Acer is messed up. If your computer is vibrating pretty bad, then no, that's not normal. It means that your DVD/CD is off balance. As to why it's off balance, I can't tell you.

None Such

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
I also wondered about mine. I thought the thing was going to self destruct the first time I put a disc in. Wow is that thing loud! I just didn't bother asking about it since it seems to function properly otherwise.

HAHAHA YES! exactly how I felt. sounds like mine is normal then.

None Such

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
My DVD drive in my Acer is messed up. If your computer is vibrating pretty bad, then no, that's not normal. It means that your DVD/CD is off balance. As to why it's off balance, I can't tell you.

It's not vibrating. It just sounds like it's literally chomping the disc.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Weeeeee....Cronk Cronk Cronk...weeee...cronk cronk...weee...cronk...

Like that?

None Such

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
yeah something like that. it just seems louder and i just hear the chomping when inserting a disc.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I laughed so hard at the thread title.

I asked a similar question recently, and it is evidently normal for your MacBook to make TERRIFYING SOUNDS.

None Such

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
hahaha I'm glad you were amused. I aim to please. What I laughed so hard at was klymr's post becasue it's so true. That's exactly how I felt the first time i put a cd in it. My wife was standing there when it first made that sound with this look on here face like, "yeah, you're right this $2,500 laptop was so much better than that $400 laptop that was on sale at Circuit City."

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
if i recall correctly... somewhere on the apple support pages, there is a FAQ for the portable machines that apple makes and actually has sound clips of what it is SUPPOSED to sound like. Very chomp chomp chomp indeed. Apparently they had enough people ask that same question they had to address teh crazy sounds :)

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
don't worry.... perfectly normal. i know exactly what you are talking about. I actually went to an apple store and loaded a cd into every one of their display mbp's and every one did the exact same thing. yeah, it freaks me out every time too but every mbp i've seen does it.

None Such

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
My my. If only we had some real recordings to go off of;)

hahaha, oh man. You gave me a good laugh. It's funny picturing that through someone else's eyes. Well I personally love my own impersonation. It's more fun. And just for the record it sounds exactly like "sample 1" of "inserting a disc".

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
hahaha, oh man. You gave me a good laugh. It's funny picturing that through someone else's eyes. Well I personally love my own impersonation. It's more fun. And just for the record it sounds exactly like "sample 1" of "inserting a disc".

Actually, your attempts did make me smile, and considering the stress I was under, it was welcomed:) I'm also glad that you now have proof that this is "normal" on the part of your macbook pro.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
I actually thought of those sound recordings when I first read the topic title, but didn't want to search for them. My MBP also makes a sound that is rather loud that is not included in those recordings. It sounds a lot like the spinning up an idle disc, only it makes a lot more noise, and not from the motor spinning. It sounds like it might be from the motor that moves the laser in and out. Maybe I should attempt to record it and figure out how to post it.

dominicansrul93

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
LMAO. The first time I opened my MacBook I though it was defective! How come PC laptops with the normal drives don't do that?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
LMAO. The first time I opened my MacBook I though it was defective! How come PC laptops with the normal drives don't do that?

Because PC laptops have drives that are noisy when you decide to click on them and open them. Plus they usually take up a bit more space. Although I agree with the poster above who said that in class it can really be awkward. Thank god more than half of the people in my classes use Macs!:)

dumoon

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
nuther vote for 'sample 1'....just played that on my dell notebook at work and my right elbow, which had been resting on the desk in front of the right side of the computer, reflexively jerked away from the 'exiting disc' :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.