Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I just realized something. The picture of the one I assume I will end up with didn’t have the grey bar on top. I think that’s why it looked odd. ?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The "grey bar" is the bezel. The older MacBook Pros and the older MacBook Airs had the all-silver physical bezel, one which was significantly thicker than the current black bezels on today's MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros.

How to enlarge the window and make it fill your screen:

How to Resize a Window on a Mac
  1. Move the pointer over the resize corner in the bottom-right corner of the window.
  2. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the mouse. The window grows or shrinks as you drag the mouse.
  3. Release the left mouse button when you're happy with the new size of the window.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
The "grey bar" is the bezel. The older MacBook Pros and the older MacBook Airs had the all-silver physical bezel, one which was significantly thicker than the current black bezels on today's MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros.

How to enlarge the window and make it fill your screen:

How to Resize a Window on a Mac
  1. Move the pointer over the resize corner in the bottom-right corner of the window.
  2. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the mouse. The window grows or shrinks as you drag the mouse.
  3. Release the left mouse button when you're happy with the new size of the window.

The resize corner can be any of the corners, top-left, top-right, bottom-left or bottom-right.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Though, I think I got an idea. I forgot all Mac notebooks had the name of the notebook on the bottom of the screen, but maybe I can stretch from left to right to fill my screen. Maybe the top as well. Thanks again! ?

Attachments

• 97647175-4E9A-44FC-A013-1DD55E83E818.jpeg
    97647175-4E9A-44FC-A013-1DD55E83E818.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 54

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
You'll have a black border around the screen, the bezels, just as shown in that photo, yes. You'll still have plenty of viewing space with your content filling the screen. Right now for instance I have my screen so that Macrumors and this particular page are filling it.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Though, I think I got an idea. I forgot all Mac notebooks had the name of the notebook on the bottom of the screen, but maybe I can stretch from left to right to fill my screen.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
It doesn’t look as wide as what my MBP had. If I confused (any of) you, I’m sorry.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
The boarder looks like it could be a very small compared to what I’m familiar with.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yes, the border (bezels) on your 2012 MBP are significantly thicker (larger) than the ones on any of Apple's current MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air. When you finally get a chance to see the current machines in person, it'll give you a much better idea of what to expect!

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Will there be new features other than the SSD? I ask because I may have missed something when reading on my phone.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
There will be a lot of changes from your 2012 MBP, yes..... I have not paid all that much attention to what specifically is new about the current 2020 MBA, but you should be able to find the basic description on the Apple site -- read the tech description, read the specific description of the model in which you are most interested. ALSO, look on MR and read posts from actual users who have already purchased the 2020 MBA and see what they have to say in various threads here, too......

One thread, for instance:

Reactions: a-m-k

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
You're welcome. Unless one is very wealthy and money doesn't mean a thing, it takes time and thought during a decision-making process when buying something that is fairly expensive such as a computer. I always analyze everything to death before finally making up my mind and then making the purchase. Back in 2015 I went through this when trying to decide if I should go with a MacBook Pro used as a desktop replacement rather than the iMac I'd thought I'd be buying that year....

As it happened, that was a good decision for me at that time and so three years later in 2018 I again analyzed everything and then went with a 2018 MBP and carefully reflected on the specs it should have before ever walking into a store and seeing one in person. It is important to ensure that the machine one is about to purchase will actually fill one's needs, so looking at the specs and the possibilities and also reading others' comments on their experiences with that model really can be very helpful.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
It was suggested to me long before I joined the BETA program. (I thought my MBP would have kicked the bucket months before it did.) Funny thing now, the person who suggested it doesn’t have a Mac anymore. ?

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I just thought of something. If I unexpectedly got to go out to buy my MBA, would it be advisable to get a mid-2020. I ask because my luck with mid-year MBPs is horrible. I won’t include the time table of when Macs are released. I’m sure you all know aready. Or do SSDs have a longer lifespan in general and I just have horrible HDD luck?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Buy the 2020 MBA rather than the older (2018?) MBA, yes. Don't worry about the time frame in which a particular model is released. Apple just fairly recently released the 2020 MBA and so my guess is that there won't be another refresh for quite a while now, probably not until 2021, if then.

I have not had any problems with lifespan on any of my machines with SSDs, and in fact my first-generation MBA, which was my first machine with an SSD, is still going strong even though it was released in early 2008. I don't own the machine anymore, I gave it to a friend who to this day is quite happily using it.

Reactions: a-m-k

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have a 2015 13" MBP and a 2015 27” iMac, the SSD in both is still going strong after 5 years of constant use. I suggest getting the AppleCare+ for your 2020 MBA.

Last edited:

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I’ll think about Apple Care... I’ve never had it.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
AppleCare is a MUST as far as I am concerned! For me, it is important when buying a machine or device which I’ll be carrying around or wearing a lot of the time, or when buying a machine which is primarily all soldered together on the logic board so that if one thing goes wacky, the whole thing goes wacky.... The new T2 component which is included now on all new MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros can be problematic and there are people who have had to have their machine repaired because they did a software update and something went wrong with the process, affecting that T2 thing or the entire logic board...... AppleCare is well worth the extra money!

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
The longer I stay home, the more likely I will have a healthy budget so when I do go out, my new MBA will be awesome! I’ve waited so long to do something.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
You have waited a long time, indeed! Yes, it's been easier on my budget, too, being at home so much, although I have bought stuff from Amazon and I notice that I'm buying more at the grocery store than I normally would, but some of that is due to the fact that I'm not going as often so therefore I need more when I DO go.

I've been thinking about a new lens for my camera and originally had intended to get it last month but decided that it would be a good idea to wait another month or so, especially since our weather has been so lousy most of this spring so far anyway and I wouldn't be able to get much use out of the lens until I can really get outdoors more frequently and spend some time walking around the area finding interesting things to shoot. Even better will be when the stay-at-home order is lifted and I can go other places besides my own neighborhood, too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.