Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Just sharing my awesome iPod. I’ve had this for about 2 years with high capacity battery and iflash mod. Battery last for a long time.

Recently I message a seller on eBay to install a Bluetooth chip. After about $100 which include the wireless module and Taptic Engine it works!!! Very cool and breathes life into this classic device. Apple please re-release an iPod with click wheel and Bluetooth! Range is pretty decent as long as I’m close to it there’s no stutter. Walls are its enemy.

Battery life is unknown right now with the Bluetooth mod. I’m still testing it.

Attachments

• IMG_3445.jpeg
    IMG_3445.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_3447.jpeg
    IMG_3447.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 102

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I wanna mod my iPod. It definitely needs a new battery with how old it is that battery degraded and expanded a little.

Problem is, I can't open it. It's a 7th gen unfortunately, and those things are bullet proof. I don't know how Elite Obsolete makes it look so easy to open, because this thing is so difficult I just gave up.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I wanna mod my iPod. It definitely needs a new battery with how old it is that battery degraded and expanded a little.

Problem is, I can't open it. It's a 7th gen unfortunately, and those things are bullet proof. I don't know how Elite Obsolete makes it look so easy to open, because this thing is so difficult I just gave up.
I recommend watching this video first:
With the correct tools, and taking it slowly it should not be too difficult.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Id rather just pay someone to open the 7th gen. I seen the procedure and you need multiple tools to pry it open.

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
Thank you for posting this. Very interesting and has me thinking again about what if Bluetooth was available on some of Apple’s older products.

I have a couple of iPod Nanos - 5th and 6th Gen and have often thought how nice it would be if they had Bluetooth. Sometimes I just want to work out or run an errand and would much prefer to just take a smaller iPod than my phone to listen to music.

It would also be easier on my commute to just have a small dedicated music player than fumble around with taking my phone out of my pocket while seated on a packed train.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.