Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hi so I have apple music and I have playlists of songs in them. Some playlists have songs that were added a couple of years ago. Now I've added new songs to this playlist but for some strange reason the stock music player keeps playing the older added songs when in shuffle mode! Why is this so? Please advise. thanks!

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Apple's "shuffle" feature is complete s***. I've posted about this in the past and it'll probably never change. The only solution I've been offered to change the shuffle order is syncing with iTunes. Not sure how this will work with you since you're using Apple Music.

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
Yep - Shuffle needs work. I do not subscribe to Apple Music, but instead buy songs from iTunes and download them. I have 1,053 songs on my iPhone, when I select Shuffle or ask Siri to shuffle my music, I hear the same songs over and over. I swear it shuffles the same 50 songs every time. There are songs I forgot I own, because I never hear them when using Shuffle.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Yep - Shuffle needs work. I do not subscribe to Apple Music, but instead buy songs from iTunes and download them. I have 1,053 songs on my iPhone, when I select Shuffle or ask Siri to shuffle my music, I hear the same songs over and over. I swear it shuffles the same 50 songs every time. There are songs I forgot I own, because I never hear them when using Shuffle.
It's worse than you make it sound because it plays the same songs in the same order.

Ridiculous.

Reactions: AMTYVLE

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
That's sad, this is a simple feature that should work all the time! WTH is Apple doing?

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I have over 800 songs and it plays the same 100.

Worst part is if you listen on shuffle throughout the day and you’ve shuffled through however many songs, once you charge your phone at night and you start listening again the next day shuffle starts over. Even if you never close the app. So again the same songs will play.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Shuffle sounds like it's messed up, for sure.

Have you tried creating a new playlist, adding the songs from the old one, then deleting the old one? That might shake things up.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Yes Brian as per your advice I'll create a new playlist to test things out. Thanks!

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
So I created a new playlist that is a mixture of old songs and new songs. However the same thing happens, Apple Music keeps playing the older songs in shuffle mode!

Is there any apple url I can submit feedback to Apple music department about this obvious bug? Thanks!

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
You could always create a shortcut to play randomly selected music and exclude anything played in the last X days, months, etc.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I was going mad when using Apple Music app (not Apple Music) before because of this. Now I just shuffle the song myself.
You could always create a shortcut to play randomly selected music and exclude anything played in the last X days, months, etc.
Well, this should never happen in the first place right? The “shuffle” should not always shuffle the same 100 songs over and over, or start to play the same song whenever shuffle is enabled. Unless, Apple has a completely different and maybe obscure definition of “shuffle”.

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
I was going mad when using Apple Music app (not Apple Music) before because of this. Now I just shuffle the song myself.

Well, this should never happen in the first place right? The “shuffle” should not always shuffle the same 100 songs over and over, or start to play the same song whenever shuffle is enabled. Unless, Apple has a completely different and maybe obscure definition of “shuffle”.
Totally agree. It’s been like this for a long time and I’m not holding out hope for any changes. Using shortcuts addresses my problems with it.

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
How do I create a shortcut? Thanks!

You'd need to download the Apple Shortcuts App from the App Store.

Here's an overview of the Shortcuts App:
https://support.apple.com/guide/shortcuts/shortcuts-at-a-glance-apdf22b0444c/2.1/ios/12.0

Attached is a screenshot of the Shortcut I created.
BetterShuffle.png

Reactions: shankar2

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
Thanks I tried shortcuts app for the first time using your settings and I can see I get more granularity now

Very cool.

Shortcuts have really enhanced my music listening experience. I’ve got a few others that I use all the time too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.