Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Too Many Toys

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
Midwest, USA
Just got my new 17" HD glossy MBP on 8/30/2007. Now I'm getting the dreaded hard drive clicking. In two past Apple laptops this was soon followed by a complete hard drive meltdown (they were both older, but still within 18 months of new).

Am I being too anal worrying about this? As much as I love Apple's products I seem to have more hard drive issues then I've had w/ Winblows systems. I try to be very gentle with my laptops, but I do transport them in sleep position.

Thoughts?

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
You know, of the 2 Macs I've bought in the past 1.5 years, both their hdd's have died.

I know Apple doesn't make them, but what's the deal here? Good thing my PowerBook has AppleCare, or I would have been screwed.

If I were you, I'd have that checked out pronto. You don't want to risk losing data.

What does the SMART status in System Profiler say? (under ATA)

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Just got my new 17" HD glossy MBP on 8/30/2007. Now I'm getting the dreaded hard drive clicking. In two past Apple laptops this was soon followed by a complete hard drive meltdown (they were both older, but still within 18 months of new).

Wow, do you live in Arizona, without air-conditioning, have a large rare earth magnet collection on your desk, and like to rip DVDs all day?! :eek:

How can you blow through HDs like that? That sucks.

I've had a few HDs die on me over the years. The clicking only goes away when it locks up and dies. So get it repaired now before it dies on you!

~~Hello~~

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
I had a dell laptop, and from the beginning i used to get random clicks. The hard drive lasted for 2 and a half years though.

Too Many Toys

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
Midwest, USA
Wow, do you live in Arizona, without air-conditioning, have a large rare earth magnet collection on your desk, and like to rip DVDs all day?! :eek:

How can you blow through HDs like that? That sucks.

I've had a few HDs die on me over the years. The clicking only goes away when it locks up and dies. So get it repaired now before it dies on you!

I figure I'm done for my lifetime with bad hard drives, got them all out of the way :D

As an update, the hd seems to have stopped clicking now.

DA-Steve

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
Adelaide Australia
mine is going from bad to worse!! it sounds like an old clock now.. constantly tick tick tick tick tick... driving me nuts!! thankfully going to get serviced next week!

wuSHUMast3r

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2006
So this happened to me today, after 11 months of perfection (luckily I'm still under warranty). Is there still hope that my data is still there or is that a long shot?

coogee

macrumors regular
May 28, 2007
So this happened to me today, after 11 months of perfection (luckily I'm still under warranty). Is there still hope that my data is still there or is that a long shot?

Doesn't sound good, there'a a post here (about 5 down) that details the technical reason for the click. Just had a 3.5" Seagate HDD fail on me. Did manage to recover some data post-click but lost maybe 30% (spread into everything) :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.