Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Right now, all of the trees are starting to bud, and i decided to try out my new camera. It is a canon sd500. Some of the pictures really turned out amazing. I put the camera on macro, with automatic, and then i also put it on the scn foliage. I know im using automatic, but these shots turned out pretty nice for auto.
#1, whats the difference between the two, and which one should i use for shots like this?>
#2, how come a lot of the shots turned out blurry, not like on my old d camera where its because i moved it, but the foreground is blurry and background is not.. I have a lot of examples i could show but i only posted one or two. Anywaqys, here are some of my good shots.
This is the thing im talking about, its blurry. On some its like this, and on others both foreground and background are out of focus. Is it because i stood to far away or something? I try not to use the zoom with macro shots, i like to get closer.
sry, they were to big, i posted the link underneath http://flickr.com/photos/77909005@N00/?saved=1

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Could you make them bigger please, I *really* want to gaze over every single pixel you make...

(hint, lower the res or dump them on flickr.com)

I didn't really look at them either because of their size, you're giving me a reason to upgrade from a 12" screen to a 30".

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
lol yeah i thought so too, but sorry i had to show off my 7.1 mp camera :p nah not really, just didnt no how to resize them lol.. ok i will try resizing them.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
The automatic setting wouldn't change anything other than focusing for you (when talking about blur) at the moment I am being lazy (due to issues of time) and all I use is auto. Very rarely do I switch to manual focus, when I do, it does it quicker, but I have to be mindful of it before clicking otherwise I get blurred images.

If you want your subject to not be blurred, then aim the crosshair at your subject, focus on that, then it shouldn't be blurry. Either that or you are not in the right range for taking the photo. You can't take long distance shots in macro mode! :)

You should check out some of my photography at the site and here http://www.homepage.mac.com/crackedbutter

My latest (and unfinished stuff) is at flickr.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.