Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OKBucks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
OK, USA
I just recently purchased an iMac M3, 16GB and 1TB. So far so good but there are a few hiccups in transitioning from my 2010 27” iMac.

I migrated everything over and I don’t seem to be missing anything, a few programs will need downloaded again but otherwise, good. I’m running the latest version of Firefox and for some reason am unable to edit/delete/move any of my current bookmarks. I highlight and select delete but nothing happens, same for trying to move a bookmark folder.

Also, on my older iMac, almost all bookmarks had a little icon beside it but now, just a globe with a few exceptions. I’d like the icons.

Searching online has been less than helpful. I saw sync mentioned several times but from what I can tell, I don’t have sync selected anywhere.

Has anyone had the same experience and a possible resolution?

Keep in mind, I’m not too much of a computer guy when it comes to changing code/lines somewhere.

Thanks for the help…..

Reactions: Andrey84

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The missing icons called ICO are downloaded when you actually visit the bookmarked sites. You'll have to visit them again and they should slowly fill in as they were on your 27". The globe is the generic placeholder for ICOs until you visit the sites and replacements are downloaded and then databased to your bookmark.

As to the bookmark issues themselves, that is a huge time hop from 2010 to 2024. Perhaps there is a bit of a format difference or something. You might have to manually rebuild your bookmarks by visiting the sites and then saving them in a new bookmark folder as a new bookmark. When you basically have an old bookmark folder replaced with a new one, delete the old one and let the new one take over. Repeat for the next group of favorites, etc until you get all the way through them. Basically, at the end you'll delete the last "menu" of old bookmarks because a newly-created duplicate of it is now fully filled in with your favorite websites.

If you don't see those ICO graphics filling in when you visit sites, that too could be some incompatibility with the old bookmarks. So when you make new ones, whatever formatting bug might be in play in the old WON'T in the new and the ICOs will likely fill in for them too.

Enjoy your new iMac. That's such a massive leap forward, it should seem amazing in many ways.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Yeah bookmark problems happened on my Old iMac Late 2013 Catalina and synching with my old MBA 2017 running Monterey. They would fail to sync when I add, move, remove bookmarks on the iMac. Monterey would ignore it. What HobeSoundDarryl post might be the only fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.