Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomTox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
In the absence of larger-screen iMac upgrades from Apple, I'm considering buying the Microsoft Surface Studio 2+ with an Intel Core i7-11370H processor, 32GB of RAM, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 graphics, and a 28-inch display. Are there any disadvantages apart from the lack of macOS?

IMG_2952.jpeg

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
It's an all-in-one, which is a form I would avoid in general. I would only consider this one if you're planning on using what I assume its main features will be (the touchscreen, drawing, etc.)

Otherwise, don't let the shape get you hyped up. A standard desktop will be much easier to fix or upgrade, a bigger case has better air-flow, you're not limited to parts that the all-in-one dictate like the screen, etc.

I'd also try to avoid getting Windows 11 if possible, and that looks like 11. Windows 10 is still good. Normally I would recommend Linux over Windows, but I don't know your computer skills level, and Linux is becoming more accessible but honestly still isn't that good at holding your hand like Windows or OS X (again, no idea what your skill level is)

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I like all-in-ones mainly because of appearance. I have an iMac near the middle of my living room, seen from all sides, and I don't want boxes, dongles, cables, etc. cluttering it up (other than a single power cable which is unavoidable, unless one gets a laptop).
So in my opinion is it basically about looks. Sometimes all-in-ones can be a cost-effective complete package.
If you get an all-in-one then proceed to add external drives, dongles, docks, cables etc, it defeats the purpose and is then the worst of both worlds, IMO. Conversely, if you get an all-in-one and don't care about looks or where it is located, then there seems little point.

Reactions: VaruLV and Andrey84

Rich B22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
In the absence of larger-screen iMac upgrades from Apple, I'm considering buying the Microsoft Surface Studio 2+ with an Intel Core i7-11370H processor, 32GB of RAM, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 graphics, and a 28-inch display. Are there any disadvantages apart from the lack of macOS?

View attachment 2347967
When you ask about disadvantages, other than no macOS, IMO, that is a huge disadvantage. While Apple is no longer the "it just works" experience that it used to be, I find that I have far fewer issues than friends of mine with Windows. Then again, you would have to decide what your needs are before buying anything, and also, what OS are you currently using and are comfortable with. Making a switch in either direction creates a strong learning curve.
If already on Mac, why not get a Mac Mini or Studio, which can be easily hidden or even mounted below or on the back of a large monitor to essentially create your own iMac with a larger monitor. Then you don't have to give up anything, other than adding 1 cable to connect the CPU to the monitor. It would also be more cost-effective, as the Surface Studio 2+ starts at $4,500, while the Apple M2 Pro with 10‑core CPU, 16-core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine, 32GB unified memory & 1TB SSD storage can be had from Apple for $1,900 & oftentimes less through other dealers, leaving a lot of extra cash for a great monitor. Even a Mac Studio would be in the low $2,000's, unless you went for the maxed out version.
Good luck with whatever you decide

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Such a shame what happened to the iMac. A seminal icon that apexed with the deeply cool Pro iteration before being axed, replaced with a halfhearted effort that never really captured the imagination, and has effectively been left to die on the vine ever since. Has to go down as the greatest ever crime against computing 🤮

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
When you ask about disadvantages, other than no macOS, IMO, that is a huge disadvantage. While Apple is no longer the "it just works" experience that it used to be, I find that I have far fewer issues than friends of mine with Windows. Then again, you would have to decide what your needs are before buying anything, and also, what OS are you currently using and are comfortable with. Making a switch in either direction creates a strong learning curve.
I'll echo this. I've been "bilingual" since 1989 (MS-DOS/Windows at work, Atari/Apple at home) and I'd dread every time I couldn't get something to work/run at work, calling IT, hearing "You are caller number.... 27.... in line, please hold" and then having to listen to John Phillips Sousa patriotic marches for up to 3 hr 20 minutes (music that I got thoroughly sick of back in high school band). It seemed to get worse as the years went on, and honestly if my home computer gave me such issues (especially without an IT dept) I wouldn't own one. I've been retired now for just over 4 years, and not having to wrestle with a computer that wouldn't work has been one of the unexpected bonuses of Retirement.
To be fair to microsoft, I spent most of my career on military bases, with extra layers of malware/hacking security, so that may have been part of the issues. Since retirement I've acquired my first iPhone, iPad, and recently an Apple TV, and have really come to appreciate the "ecosystem", so that may be a part of your decision.
Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

Reactions: picpicmac

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Such a shame what happened to the iMac. A seminal icon that apexed with the deeply cool Pro iteration before being axed, replaced with a halfhearted effort that never really captured the imagination, and has effectively been left to die on the vine ever since. Has to go down as the greatest ever crime against computing 🤮
Just get the studio display, that will give you an iMac like experience.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
maxresdefault-3347294444.jpg

Seriously? You're just looking at the 2001 desk lamp iMac and going "yeah, that fits". OK man!

I'm over here loving the thin profile, gorgeous display and performance of my M1 iMac (orange). Like the OP, mine is in my living room and I love how it has a minimal visual impact. And the return of color is an awesome callback to the original 1998 version. But whatever, you do you.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
View attachment 2353148
Seriously? You're just looking at the 2001 desk lamp iMac and going "yeah, that fits". OK man!

I'm over here loving the thin profile, gorgeous display and performance of my M1 iMac (orange). Like the OP, mine is in my living room and I love how it has a minimal visual impact. And the return of color is an awesome callback to the original 1998 version. But whatever, you do you.
Alas, I am going in the opposite direction from the iMac...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.