Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2010
The 2nd generation Newton MessagePad (110, 120, 130) is one of my favorite Apple designs. It was the first Apple product designed by Jonny Ive and it is the clear progenitor to the curves and lines of the PowerBook G3 series, which is my all time favorite Apple design. Say what you will about the Newton OS and it's shortcomings, the industrial design is an absolute master work. Somehow this gigantic hunk of plastic and peeling rubber coating feels better and more natural in the hand than my iPhone 14 Pro or iPad Mini 6.

So, in celebration of me finding the MP 110 I bought at a swap meet 20 years ago in the bottom of a desk drawer (and coincidentally the 30th Anniversary of this design), I've set out to reverse model the shape/case of the Newton to recreate and fill it with modern tech. I've never done anything like this, and I have no idea if I'll ultimately succeed, so here goes nothing...

So far I've been able to use photos and measurements from the Newton to model the shape of the main body in Fusion 360 and make a successful 2-part 3D print. Currently I am playing around with scaling it down by about 15% to more naturally fit a 5.5" OLED touchscreen and still have room for a Raspberry Pi Zero 2, battery, and display driver. I'd love to do an eInk display, but I can't find anything affordable with touch capabilities and while I don't know how functional the device to be, I do know I want it interactive. Also researching how to apply a rubberized coating to the 3D printed pieces.

Don't know how long this will take, but will keep updating my progress here.

IMG_1188.jpg
MP6.jpg
MP1.jpg
MP2.jpg
MP3.jpg
MP4.jpg
MP7.jpg
IMG_1189.jpg

akator

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2016
I love this idea. Would you be willing to share your 3D print models?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.