Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpeedDemon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
I used to have:

Mac 512k
Mac Plus
Mac SE/30
Mac PowerBook 140
Mac PowerBook Duo 280
Mac Quadra 610
Mac PowerBook G3 Series

I currently have a PowerBook G4 1GHz Ti w/ SuperDrive, 1GB of RAM, and a 60GB 7200 RPM drive. I really just wish though that I hadn't got rid of all my old computers as I bought the new ones. I gave pretty much all of them away to friends and family. After the Quadra 610 I pretty much became a PC user for a long time and became an IT Consultant. Once I used OS X for the first time though (Jaguar), I just had to have one.

Oh and btw, another cool piece of info. My Dad actually owned the Mac 512k, and gave it to me when I was 2 years old just to use as a toy :). Then when I was 3 he gave me his old Mac Plus. I didn't get the SE/30 till I was like 6 or something though. I remember though when I was like 4 or 5 when my dad got the SE/30, he thought he was hot **** with his 16MHz CPU (for those who don't remember the Mac Plus had a 8MHz CPU :cool: ). We had a race loading Outnumbered onto the computer, and I was so sad when his actually loaded almost twice as fast as mine. It was a great memory even though it may be corny.... I remember that my Uncle was there with us and we were just marveling at how cool the SE/30 was. The Quadra 610 was my first color computer and I think that my Grandma bought it for me when I was 9 or 10. BTW, when I was 6 years old, my elementary school had me teaching the computer people how to do stuff on the Macs ;).

Good times :)

BTW, I was born in 1984 with the Mac, so I started pretty early on :D

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
:D

Luckily I've saved all I've had, even the defect powerbook 100.
I'm still very impressed about how usable man of the computers are,
like the pb 180 and the duos. With os 7.6 and Claris Works 4 they can do most work i'd do today (except much internet stuff), text editing, databases and even html editing.

And yeah, I've got a working backlit-portable (running os 6.07) ...

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
This is why I am very hesitant to sell any of my old machines (not to rub it in to you or anything.)

I'm looking for a PB100. I really like the form factor and want one for my collection, but so far I can't find any over here. :(

I never had a Mac when I was growing up, just a PC XT. I didn't switch until 2001, but I've made up for it with my collection :D

SpeedDemon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
I guess I've kind of had a renewed interest in Macs lately too. I've been for some reason lately seeing a lot of my customers with old macs and I've been replacing them with new iMac G5's. Which by the way are incredibly cool, and I'm using a 17" one right now.

It's hard to think that in 6-7 years from now I'll be able to pick up an iMac G5 for close to nothing. I remember I used to feel this way about how cool I thought like the old high End Quadras were so cool, but I couldn't have one because no 9 year old has $9000, and nobody was about to buy me one ;).

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
MacDawg said:
Anybody else ever use the old portable??
It was a thing of beauty! :p

Most excellent!

:D

Attachments

• Picture-2.jpg
    Picture-2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 534

racepres

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
central Michigan
I still have too many old macs.. been thinking maybe someone might be interrested in a couple of em... if so I will get pix etc and post em on the "sale trade forum" . Basically started w/ a se/30, then a PB150, a PB160 (obtained recently, and was online w/ it ((sort of)) yesterday) a performa 550, a PM5260, 7500, 7600,a PB1400.... also have a power computing powr base 240 and a power mac 8600, but I'm still using 'em. If ya aint figgered it out I have a hard time parting w/ certain posessions!!! Heck I even almost like the PM5260!!! Course my everyday rider is a 71 honda too!!! SICK huh? Later..... :cool: :cool:

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
Started out on an IIci
...then my dad upgraded to a then state-of-the-art G3 266
...I got my first own mac, a Rev. D iMac DV400, X-mas '99
...sold it when I went to college in the US;

...found Macrumors.com and waited for the 1Ghz tiBook update...
...bought a tiBook 1Ghz w/ superdrive the day they were updated
...graduated and brought the tiBook over to Germany;

...bought a working SE/30, 1 broken SE, another broken SE/30
...bought a loaded black Powermac 5400
...my dad gave me his old G3
...sold the 5400 and the G3 since I did not have use for them...

I'd like to have:
- Newton 2100
- Laserwriter IIc
- Classic II

vSpacken

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I would love to have a Newton 2100. With that out of the way...

Some kind of classic Mac, when I was six I upgraded the RAM (my dad helped.. well I watched and he did it) to 1MB. That lasted a couple of years. 100MB SCSI hard drive the size of a computer nowadays. :eek:

Then on to a Performa-- don't remember what kind. That was a family computer and quickly donated to a school.

Power Macintosh 8100/AV-- Did not have this for long either... but it was a nice computer. I learned OS 8 on it. I scavenged it for spare parts not so long ago, due to the low memory in it and the ultra slow processor and its annoying tendency to demand more memory for doing nothing. Then I moved on to the

PowerTower 225 Pro. This computer I used for a number of years. It still runs today as a guest computer. I love using it... OS 8 is "grr8!" It can do anything, really. Just slightly slower than you might want. But Word 98 works quite well; Excel 98 also runs very nicely on this computer.

iMac G4. See sig. Dad bought it at an open box sale... learned OS X on it.

PowerBook. See sig. I saved up and bought this myself. I love this thing more than can possible be healthy... ;)

And if anyone wants to give their Newton 2000 or 2100 to a nice Macintosh home... I am here!

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
2 years ago my brother got an old Performa I think, unless it was a Centris. I'll look and see here in a few months. We used that, and played around with it, then it got pushed to the back of the closet.

Quadra 600 - Basilisk II, so its not a real mac but it works.

1-2 Months ago I bought this Powerbook G3 Wallstreet off this forum from this kid who was 13 or that. Very mature, and willing to help me get my first Mac that supports an OS. - Read Siggy.

Possibly in 2-3 weeks, an iBook G3 - 300MHz, 128MB RAM, 6GB HDD, Panther :)D :D :D).

Other than that, I've used G3's, G4's, and G5 desktops in my GD and Web Design class.

Mechcozmo said:
I would love to have a Newton 2100. With that out of the way...

And if anyone wants to give their Newton 2000 or 2100 to a nice Macintosh home... I am here!

Well, I can't give any of my Newtons away but a "hook-up" might be posable, as I have 100's of Newton 2X00's, and many more 1X0's... Do you have any thing for trade?...

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I remember my first Macintosh, a Mac Plus. I got it when I was young. The screen stopped and I got rid of it. I tried to replace it with another Mac Plus but it was not the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.