Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I sold off my 12.9 pro and my mini 6, and decided to just go with an Air 5 because I got another iMac, and really didn’t need two iPads, plus I was ditching cellular ipads to reduce my insane cell phone bill. ;-p

I have been super pleased with the Air 5 with the exception of one thing. I didn’t think I would be bothered, but I miss Face ID a lot more than I thought I would. I guess you just don’t realize how often everything just works automatically because of face ID.

I don’t know if I’ll wind up going back to a pro because of it, but it’s definitely more of a plus than I realized.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
For me, the jump from Touch ID to Face ID really wasn't all that spectacular. Of course, for my first ever time using it, I was ecstatic for the first few days. After that it was just seen as a "neat perk".

It only shaved one or two seconds off of unlock time, and just like Touch ID, if you don't face head on it might fail occasionally, one or two times enough that it made me enter my passcode. But overall, I wouldn't treat it so heavily that I'd get heavy buyer's regret just from it alone being missing.

(also, half expected this thread to be about the lack of ProMotion, since everyone seems to get addicted to that)

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
As often as we have been using Face ID, it becomes our habit. It can be difficult to change our habit on existing way for another way. It is just our human nature. When another way becomes so inconvenience and too distracting our mind/life/lifestyle , it is time to return to what it was before, like returning using Pro. Hopefully, you will make best decision to overcome adjustment issue. Let us know what you decide.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I sold off my 12.9 pro and my mini 6, and decided to just go with an Air 5 because I got another iMac, and really didn’t need two iPads, plus I was ditching cellular ipads to reduce my insane cell phone bill. ;-p

I have been super pleased with the Air 5 with the exception of one thing. I didn’t think I would be bothered, but I miss Face ID a lot more than I thought I would. I guess you just don’t realize how often everything just works automatically because of face ID.

I don’t know if I’ll wind up going back to a pro because of it, but it’s definitely more of a plus than I realized.

For me, FaceID is most useful on the 12.9" iPad which I often use docked to a keyboard. Plus, the new power button TouchID fails 99% of the time when I use the fingers on my left hand so I find it a lot less useful than the home button TouchID.

I will be buying FaceID iPads for my parents for conevience's sake when their old home button iPads bite the dust. Probably won't be until 2025-27. Don't need the latest and greatest although I do plan on getting them M1/8GB minimum.

Reactions: dominiongamma

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
That’s why I decided against getting an iPad Mini when I sold my 12.9” Pro. I just don’t think I can get used to Touch ID again.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
For me, the jump from Touch ID to Face ID really wasn't all that spectacular. Of course, for my first ever time using it, I was ecstatic for the first few days. After that it was just seen as a "neat perk".

It only shaved one or two seconds off of unlock time, and just like Touch ID, if you don't face head on it might fail occasionally, one or two times enough that it made me enter my passcode. But overall, I wouldn't treat it so heavily that I'd get heavy buyer's regret just from it alone being missing.

(also, half expected this thread to be about the lack of ProMotion, since everyone seems to get addicted to that)

I don’t really have buyer’s regret - just didn’t realize how much I used it (or didn’t use it actually - it just opened stuff with no effort).

Reactions: Ghost31

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
First world problems . . LOL . . but yup, Face ID is very convenient to have. Totally understand.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
First world problems . . LOL . . but yup, Face ID is very convenient to have. Totally understand.

Oh 100% - just thought maybe someone on the fence might think again, because I really didn’t think it would bother me at all To go back to touch ID

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I don't mind the Touch ID on my Mini 6 but as I like it so much on my M1 12.9, I think I'd also miss it on a non-Mini iPad. In use, I hold the Mini 6 in my hands all the time so the touch isn't inconvenient (though it took a bit to get back used to) but with the 12.9 in an MKB, it's really nice to have the Face ID.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I sold my 12.9 and kept my mini 6… overall very happy, except I agree Face ID was nice in that you didn’t even have to think about it. It just did it. With the mini I keep it in landscape 99% of the time and it’s an awkward reach for Touch ID

Reactions: Ghost31

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
For me, FaceID is most useful on the 12.9" iPad which I often use docked to a keyboard. Plus, the new power button TouchID fails 99% of the time when I use the fingers on my left hand so I find it a lot less useful than the home button TouchID.
Agreed. I remembered pressing spacebar on my Smart Keyboard to turn my iPad Pro Display on, waiting for Face ID to trigger, then hitting spacebar again to enter my home screen. Pretty cool when it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.