Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Its been nearly a week, so I figured, a new thread about what I learned and what could be avoided during my build might be helpful.

My disappointments:
What disappointed me the most was having a DOA CPU/Motherboard, I was truly gutted, and the fact that the parts shortages caused me to fully shift gears and embrace Ryzen was another disappointment. Prior to purchasing anything I did a fair amount of research on Ryzen, and Intel vs. Ryzen, plus the various motherboards (which is confusing to be sure).

I'm generally content with my motherboard choice of a Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro/Wifi, but it wasn't my first choice and that alone is kind of a bummer. Its a fine motherboard, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't my first choice - I guess compromises have to be made during supply shortages ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Another frustrating point is the USB3 header on the motherboard. Could they make any more fragile, and hard to install? This isn't a Gigabyte complaint but the connecter/header design.

Noise: The computer is relatively quiet, but there is fan noise, especially when I'm gaming. I don't think its any louder then Razer, but its amplified simply because the rear of the case is close to me (see image below)

Ryzen CPU socket - I'm putting this in the negative, simply because of the fragile pins on the CPU - it is so easy to bend or damage the expensive CPU. I found in my travels, that when I secure an Intel CPU its there and not moving. To my horror, in removing the stock AMD cooler the CPU was ripped out of its socket. I nearly soiled myself, but providence shined down on me and while I had one bent pin, it was minor and the CPU was easily put back into the socket.

USB-C,/TB - lack of USB-C and/or Thunderbolt. Not a huge negative, but its there.

What I like:
I really did enjoy the research, purchasing and more so building. My wife said, it looked like the process required a lot of patience, and it did. I dry fitted things, re-did the installation multiple times to get the cabling and everything just so.

Performance - overall I'm really happy with the performance, the 3700x does blow the doors off my Razer laptop, but then I also expected similar results from the I5-10600k.

Temperature - I have to admit that this CPU runs a helluva cooler then what the Intel CPU could, so while I do have some fan noise, I suspect the noise would be more pronounced with Intel. So much so, I think an AIO would really be the best bet for an I5-10600k, so I'll give credit where credit is due, and I'm really pleased with the temps. I've made some tweaks to the bios, and I'm seeing about 43c as I type this post. Starting a stress test, pushes the temps just about to 70c, for real world usage, I've not seen anything north of 70, and in fact its sitting in the mid 60s at its highest. I could see even better results, by turning off Core Performance Boost, which I may. Its not terribly slower with that setting turned off and I see about a 10c degree drop.

Random thoughts:
Intel Vs. Ryzen. I still prefer Intel, but the numbers don't lie. Ryzen processors are faster and cooler.

Over clocking - I wouldn't call myself an over-clocker, but I was surprised how little impact that has on Ryzen chips. And even tweaking what you can tweak, has minimal impact - at least compared to Intel. I'm not saying this is a positive or a negative, just pointing out what I seemed to have found on researching.

ITX vs. ATX, I wanted a small form factor and in doing so, made my work infinitely harder. I don't regret the decision and I'll probably going for ITX again once but it is a lot of work, more then I thought in all honesty. I can't imagine using an even smaller case as others do - that definitely takes some serious skills which I currently lack.

Would I do it again? Definitely, it really was fun (and frustrating at the same time). Its something that has clear results, i.e., new computer that looks rather nice. In fact i can see myself replacing the motherboard with something that offers more features that I had wanted.

My work area is a bit crowded, but thanks to my KVM switch (that thing is a life saver), I can switch from my desktop, to my work computer (laptop in the left) to my Razer (still being used) :)

1611929223858.png

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Enjoy! After years of building PCs I still really enjoy the process. Right now though, it's absolutely garbage with the stock issues. You cannot buy any of the new GPUs, it's a very weird time to be building.

Stick the case under the desk out the of the way, enjoy the instant noise reduction :)

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
To my horror, in removing the stock AMD cooler the CPU was ripped out of its socket. I nearly soiled myself, but providence shined down on me and while I had one bent pin, it was minor and the CPU was easily put back into the socket.

Haha! That's been a right of passage of owning an AMD system for a very long time.

I'm glad everything came together. Looks good.

RE: ITX. See this is how it starts. Give it a few months and I bet you'll think 'this footprint could be smaller' and before you know it you're scouring TaoBao for weird knock-off Dan A4 replicas.

One thing I'm consistently happy with is just how snappy a desktop is all the time - even compared to my MBP. I guess that's what comes from not having to pay mind too much to power savings. I swear the thing cold boots in like 5 seconds. Ridiculously responsive compared to anything I've owned before. I'm sure measurably it's not that much but it feels great. It's not something I really noticed while I was using only notebooks.

Reactions: LeeW

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
before you know it you're scouring TaoBao for weird knock-off Dan A4 replicas.
LOL, going from a 23 liter case, to a 7.2 - that's more then I think I want.

it's absolutely garbage with the stock issues.
Yeah, its just not GPUs, that's the issue.

Stick the case under the desk
I might, especially if the sound wears on me, but the reason for the ITX case is to stick it on the desk, and not under, otherwise, I would have opted for a true mid tower. I'll see about re-arranging my desk a bit so that the rear of the case is pointing away from me. That might work

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Its been nearly a week, so I figured, a new thread about what I learned and what could be avoided during my build might be helpful.

My disappointments:
What disappointed me the most was having a DOA CPU/Motherboard, I was truly gutted, and the fact that the parts shortages caused me to fully shift gears and embrace Ryzen was another disappointment. Prior to purchasing anything I did a fair amount of research on Ryzen, and Intel vs. Ryzen, plus the various motherboards (which is confusing to be sure).

I'm generally content with my motherboard choice of a Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro/Wifi, but it wasn't my first choice and that alone is kind of a bummer. Its a fine motherboard, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't my first choice - I guess compromises have to be made during supply shortages ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Another frustrating point is the USB3 header on the motherboard. Could they make any more fragile, and hard to install? This isn't a Gigabyte complaint but the connecter/header design.

Noise: The computer is relatively quiet, but there is fan noise, especially when I'm gaming. I don't think its any louder then Razer, but its amplified simply because the rear of the case is close to me (see image below)

Ryzen CPU socket - I'm putting this in the negative, simply because of the fragile pins on the CPU - it is so easy to bend or damage the expensive CPU. I found in my travels, that when I secure an Intel CPU its there and not moving. To my horror, in removing the stock AMD cooler the CPU was ripped out of its socket. I nearly soiled myself, but providence shined down on me and while I had one bent pin, it was minor and the CPU was easily put back into the socket.

USB-C,/TB - lack of USB-C and/or Thunderbolt. Not a huge negative, but its there.

What I like:
I really did enjoy the research, purchasing and more so building. My wife said, it looked like the process required a lot of patience, and it did. I dry fitted things, re-did the installation multiple times to get the cabling and everything just so.

Performance - overall I'm really happy with the performance, the 3700x does blow the doors off my Razer laptop, but then I also expected similar results from the I5-10600k.

Temperature - I have to admit that this CPU runs a helluva cooler then what the Intel CPU could, so while I do have some fan noise, I suspect the noise would be more pronounced with Intel. So much so, I think an AIO would really be the best bet for an I5-10600k, so I'll give credit where credit is due, and I'm really pleased with the temps. I've made some tweaks to the bios, and I'm seeing about 43c as I type this post. Starting a stress test, pushes the temps just about to 70c, for real world usage, I've not seen anything north of 70, and in fact its sitting in the mid 60s at its highest. I could see even better results, by turning off Core Performance Boost, which I may. Its not terribly slower with that setting turned off and I see about a 10c degree drop.

Random thoughts:
Intel Vs. Ryzen. I still prefer Intel, but the numbers don't lie. Ryzen processors are faster and cooler.

Over clocking - I wouldn't call myself an over-clocker, but I was surprised how little impact that has on Ryzen chips. And even tweaking what you can tweak, has minimal impact - at least compared to Intel. I'm not saying this is a positive or a negative, just pointing out what I seemed to have found on researching.

ITX vs. ATX, I wanted a small form factor and in doing so, made my work infinitely harder. I don't regret the decision and I'll probably going for ITX again once but it is a lot of work, more then I thought in all honesty. I can't imagine using an even smaller case as others do - that definitely takes some serious skills which I currently lack.

Would I do it again? Definitely, it really was fun (and frustrating at the same time). Its something that has clear results, i.e., new computer that looks rather nice. In fact i can see myself replacing the motherboard with something that offers more features that I had wanted.

My work area is a bit crowded, but thanks to my KVM switch (that thing is a life saver), I can switch from my desktop, to my work computer (laptop in the left) to my Razer (still being used) :)

View attachment 1721461
Like that curved monitor. May post a picture of my messy area, but I have to clean up some paperwork first.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Nice, this may inspire me to build a small desktop as project, been toying with the razer egpu box but small foot print of your build would be the same

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Well, that's the pain and gain of building your own PC. Used to love the process. But I just don't have the time and patience today :D. Cool rig set-up though!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I was playing with the fan curves, for both the case/cpu but also the GPU, and I now have a silent PC - at least for much of the non-game playing activities.

I noticed playing CP77 that the GPU temp hits about high 60s to low 70s and unless I push the fans to 100 percent, there's little improvements. I can largely flatten that curve and not only keep the GPU at a decent temp even gaming but have a quiet experience. I have a spare 120mm fan, and space to power it, so I'll probably squeeze that on the bottom of the case to pull air up and through the gpu, and that might allow lower gpu fans while gaming

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Did my suggested fan curve help?

Look to add some slim Noctua fans at the bottom as intake for the GPU. Noctua nf‑a12x15.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Interesting - so, why do you prefer Intel? Merely brand loyalty?

When I built my gaming PC, I went with Intel (2017). In 2020, when I built my wife's new gaming PC, I went with Ryzen, because the CPU was cheaper, cooler, and faster.

You don't owe companies anything :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Yeah, for me its a known commodity, no real logical reason. I know what motherboards to get, I have an expected performance from it. I play mostly games and up until recently, that also meant just Intel.

Reactions: pshufd

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

When I built my gaming PC, I went with Intel (2017). In 2020, when I built my wife's new gaming PC, I went with Ryzen, because the CPU was cheaper, cooler, and faster.

You don't owe companies anything :)
Intel to me is a known quantity, the hardware isn't fussy and just works. Even though in 2020 the Zen 3 outperformed the 10900K (is mostly on paper and will change/flip-flop in 2021 anyway).
- real world general mainstream consumers will not likely notice a difference between the top intel and top amd chips
- specialized applications such as youtube 4k video editing will likely choose a threadripper
- hardcore pc gamers, those who count every fps, will most likely choose amd
- i know people who build their own computers and they have thoughts similar to maflynn.

In 2021, the flip-flop of the fast ipc and most cores, will likely flip-flop, but again the winners are the consumers with mainstream general users not likely noticing any difference in usage between top amd chips and boards and top intel chips and boards.

And I agree I don't owe companies anything, but using cars as one example, there are many ways to get from point a to point b and in many styles.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

My disappointments:

What I like:

Random thoughts:

View attachment 1721461

My daughter trashed a Ryzen and Motherboard a few years ago on a build. I examined the socket and chip afterwards. We bought an Intel CPU/MB and installing was a piece of cake. This was Zen 2 so maybe things are better today but she found lots of complaints on putting CPUs in. I went with Intel because I'm comfortable with them and the parts were available. I'd love a 5950X or similar but parts are very hard to get right now.

I was going to buy an Intel iMac but I really don't like Big Sur and iMacs seem to have cooling issues, even today. It would be a long wait for an M1X iMac I think. So I may just continue to live with a cluster of old hardware for now.

I put my desktops on the floor under my table - it may help with the noise or my system might just be super-quiet. I don't game though. It's about 60 degrees in the basement now so that may be a factor as well.

Reactions: I7guy and maflynn

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020

My disappointments:

What I like:

Random thoughts:

View attachment 1721461

Few weeks ago, I picked up Intel Core i3 10100 with 16GB RAM (which was laying around) and MSI B460 motherboard. The whole reason for me to pick Core i3 10100 is because it is only processor available at the time of purchase. I would purchase Core i5 later.

Admittedly, Ryzen is faster than 10th gen. Intel processor, but Ryzen processor are no longer cheap and not available. For reference, I could not find any Ryzen processor that is on par with Core i3 10100. Even the old Ryzen 3 3200G is 10 dollars more expensive than Core i3 10100 ($159 Canadian vs $149)... Ryzen 5 is already more than 250CAD before tax.

For now, Intel processor is actually more price competitive. With the bonus of easy Hackintosh installation.

And for USB 3 header, I actually managed to break one of the PIN during the installation. Now, only one front USB 3 will work :(

IMG_0272 2.jpeg
截屏2021-01-31 22.42.56.png

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy and pshufd

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
My daughter trashed a Ryzen and Motherboard a few years ago on a build. I examined the socket and chip afterwards. We bought an Intel CPU/MB and installing was a piece of cake. This was Zen 2 so maybe things are better today but she found lots of complaints on putting CPUs in. I went with Intel because I'm comfortable with them and the parts were available. I'd love a 5950X or similar but parts are very hard to get right now.

I was going to buy an Intel iMac but I really don't like Big Sur and iMacs seem to have cooling issues, even today. It would be a long wait for an M1X iMac I think. So I may just continue to live with a cluster of old hardware for now.

I put my desktops on the floor under my table - it may help with the noise or my system might just be super-quiet. I don't game though. It's about 60 degrees in the basement now so that may be a factor as well.

Well, you can easily trash Intel CPU and motherboard easily. Need to be careful for either processors, but i have fund that Intel CPU is easier to install because not only you have golden triangle for reference, but also you have two notches on either side of the processor for reference also.

About noise, I put my newly build Core i3 10100 into a mircoATX case and the noise is auditable. Maybe because i didn’t invest on good cooling hardware...

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
The reason why Ryzen processors and AMD motherboards are currently so hard to get a hold of is because AMD has been stomping on Intel in both performance-per-watt and performance-per-dollar metrics.

This is essentially Intel's fault: their troubled 14 nm process node issues. They have spent five years on the same CPU architecture stuck in the archaic 14 nm process node. In order to stay competitive on performance, they have tossed aside efficiency.

Heck, my guess is that a big part of the reason behind Intel's new ginormous LGA 1200 socket is because they need massive die sizes (again on the 14 nm node) to support all of those transistors.

Meanwhile AMD has moved to a smaller process node and is able to squeeze out more performance while maintaining the same power envelope with their trusty old AM4 socket.

Apple saw Intel's problems coming years ago. This is one reason why Johny Sroudji repeatedly pounded the "performance per watt" emphasis during his portion of the WWDC 2020 keynote.

If thermals aren't a concern, go ahead and enjoy Intel right now.

If Intel can get their process node roadmap on track then they will likely strip AMD of their current (and just barely there) performance crown. However right now AMD is killing Intel on power efficiency with their desktop CPUs.

This is why my recent builds have been AMD Ryzen (Zen 2/3) on B550 motherboards. I will be happy to consider Intel CPUs + chipsets once they become competitive with AMD on a performance-per-watt basis.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The reason why Ryzen processors and AMD motherboards are currently so hard to get a hold of is because AMD has been stomping on Intel in both performance-per-watt and performance-per-dollar metrics.
Actually, I found it easier to get Ryzen, at least at Microcenter. Its the lack of intel components, that forced me to switch. If I had my druthers, I'd still be on Intel. I'm not knocking Ryzen, and in all truthfulness, my 3700x is running a lot cooler and faster then my intended I5-10600k. I'm just pointing out that where I live, Intel seems to be selling out more then Ryzen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: LeeW

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
My comment above on general availability is based on online retailers since I have no visibility into inventory at every single bricks-and-mortar retailer.

For what it's worth my favorite local bricks-and-mortar mini-chain shows decent in-store availability of a lot of the mid-tier CPUs like Ryzen 3700X, 5600X and Intel i7-10700 an i5-10600 at prices near MSRP with a minor upcharge.

I live in Silicon Valley so admittedly this is a special market for bricks-and-mortar computer parts retailers. Those stores cannot get away with excessive price gouging because the customers (including many of the hardware engineers who design these semiconductors) aren't going to take kindly to it.

For example, a 5600X lists at this B&M retailer for $315.95 which is $16 over the $299 MSRP. The 3700X currently lists at $325.95 about $45 more than the $279.95 MSRP I paid back in July from Newegg.

Is there some sort of prioritization given to a Santa Clara bricks-and-mortar retail shop given that it's in the same city as AMD, Intel and Nvidia headquarters? Perhaps, perhaps not.

One thing amusing is that the sales staff of this B&M mini-chain is not aggressive. They know that their customers might know more about this stuff than any general clientele on the planet. There are hardware engineers shopping there during their lunch hour.

They did close their doors to in-store browsing when COVID-19 lockdowns started ten months ago. I miss browsing their aisles and hopefully they will let people in the door someday in the not too distant future.

There is no Microcenter within several hundred miles of where I live. I suppose the closest comparison would be Fry's Electronics but that chain is mostly dead (many of the stores have closed and the surviving ones have spookily empty aisles).

The Japanese have great computer retail shops (Yodobashi, Bic Camera, etc.). Maybe next time I'm there I'll try to drop by.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
My comment above on general availability is based on online retailers since I have no visibility into inventory at every single bricks-and-mortar retailer.

For what it's worth my favorite local bricks-and-mortar mini-chain shows decent in-store availability of a lot of the mid-tier CPUs like Ryzen 3700X, 5600X and Intel i7-10700 an i5-10600 at prices near MSRP with a minor upcharge.

I live in Silicon Valley so admittedly this is a special market for bricks-and-mortar computer parts retailers. Those stores cannot get away with excessive price gouging because the customers (including many of the hardware engineers who design these semiconductors) aren't going to take kindly to it.

For example, a 5600X lists at this B&M retailer for $315.95 which is $16 over the $299 MSRP. The 3700X currently lists at $325.95 about $45 more than the MSRP I paid back in July from Newegg.

Is there some sort of prioritization given to a Santa Clara bricks-and-mortar retail shop given that it's in the same city as AMD, Intel and Nvidia headquarters? Perhaps, perhaps not.

One thing amusing is that the sales staff of this B&M mini-chain is not aggressive. They know that their customers might know more about this stuff than any general clientele on the planet.

We mainly just have Best Buy and their inventory is awful right now.

There is a place in Boston, maybe Microcenter - I've never been there but I'd have to pay sales taxes. I'm just getting by on old equipment and my Windows 10700 box.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Actually, I found it easier to get Ryzen, at least at Microcenter. Its the lack of intel components

I was helping a neighbour pick parts for a PC last week on Amazon, we ended up with AMD, no shortage of them as intel was non-existent. Here in the UK at least. Stock has now arrived though and we managed to switch it back to intel.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I was helping a neighbour pick parts for a PC last week on Amazon, we ended up with AMD, no shortage of them as intel was non-existent. Here in the UK at least. Stock has now arrived though and we managed to switch it back to intel.

Can you guys get the 5950X? Or the 12-core version?

I now wish I got a 10900 instead of a 10700.

Still thinking about an iMac with a 10700K or 10900K. At least I could get the parts.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
5900X is available on Amazon, 5950X is available from some local retailers from what I can see from a quick search.

They are technically available on Amazon in the US. For $500 over MSRP. I was looking for MSRP.

5900x, MSRP $549, Amazon $1,037.
5950x, MSRP $799, Amazon Not Available but I saw them for $1,299 a few days ago.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
I built a PC for the first time last year. All went well except I was shipped a bad stick of RAM and had to work with 8GB while I waited for a replacement. I have to admit that the system has collected a layer of dust since my PS5 showed up though :p

Reactions: pshufd

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
RE: ITX. See this is how it starts. Give it a few months and I bet you'll think 'this footprint could be smaller' and before you know it you're scouring TaoBao for weird knock-off Dan A4 replicas.

One thing I'm consistently happy with is just how snappy a desktop is all the time - even compared to my MBP. I guess that's what comes from not having to pay mind too much to power savings. I swear the thing cold boots in like 5 seconds. Ridiculously responsive compared to anything I've owned before. I'm sure measurably it's not that much but it feels great. It's not something I really noticed while I was using only notebooks.

Thankfully, I don't really game anymore so the tiny part has gotten easy. For desktop use (web, Office, etc), the Intel NUCs serve us just fine.

We've got NUCs with (low power) Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake i3 and i5s and honestly, they don't feel slower compared to my new M1 MacBook with the aforementioned workload.

The thing I like most was how ridiculously easy it was to put together. Just add 32GB RAM ($100) and 1TB NVMe SSD ($100) which took all of 5 minutes. The most time consuming part was installing Windows but with the SSD, even that went by fairly quickly.

The only other computer I have that was even easier to set up (hardware-wise) was the Raspberry Pi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.