Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
Note before you read this thread: I completely understand iOS 12 is in it's early stage beta and that it won't be perfect. This isn't a thread saying to not update or that it's a terrible experience. This is my personal experience with the OS on my device. Oh and the device I'm testing on is an iPhone 6 Plus with the stock battery. Now, onto the thread.

When I first installed iOS 12 beta 1 on June 4th it ran amazingly, there were a few bugs here and there and my phone rebooted only 3 times while having the beta. But performance and battery life were outstanding for a first beta. Once beta 2 released that all changed though. While I have noticed some speed improvements, the phone does heat up quite easily now which engages thermal throttling. It doesn't help that my battery needs replacing and it loses charge quite quickly so charging the phone heats it up as well. I've experienced several crashes once I installed the second beta, mainly with using the App Switcher in landscape mode and some stuff with Grouped Notifications. My battery has died fairly quickly after installing beta 2, worst than beta 1. A few of my 3rd party apps aren't optimised for iOS 12 and don't work correctly or at all. But a lot were fixed from beta 1. Overall I've enjoyed using it and wouldn't downgrade back to 11.4 as that was terrible performance wise. Most of the crashes and slowing occurs when I've been using the phone for multiple hours in a row (Netflix binging and talking to friends on the phone or text) but for day-to-day tasks such as checking email, playing music, sending quick texts, and light web browsing (often checking these forums :p) runs quite well. I just need to keep the battery at a decent charge. I'm excited to see what beta 3 brings and if it fixes a few of the issues.

How is/are your device(s) performing on iOS 12 and is it a bump from iOS 11.4?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I’m not trying to give you crap here but this seems like walloftext.txt in an unreadable paragraph, which amounts to “my battery needs replaced and I know it”, plus a “how it is for you” afterthought to make it seem like it’s a conversation.The latter is answered by

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-12-beta-2-―-bug-fixes-changes-and-improvements.2123912/

The former, I hope you’re getting your battery replaced and submitting feedback for anything which isn’t obviously caused by a battery deficiency.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
I’m not trying to give you crap here but this seems like walloftext.txt in an unreadable paragraph, which amounts to “my battery needs replaced and I know it”, plus a “how it is for you” afterthought to make it seem like it’s a conversation.The latter is answered by

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-12-beta-2-―-bug-fixes-changes-and-improvements.2123912/

The former, I hope you’re getting your battery replaced and submitting feedback for anything which isn’t obviously caused by a battery deficiency.
Yeah I’m using the feedback app for stuff that’s actually a bug in the OS and not an issue caused by old hardware.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah I’m using the feedback app for stuff that’s actually a bug in the OS and not an issue caused by old hardware.

Ok, I’m glad you’re submitting feedback. Hopefully thinks look brighter for you when you get your battery replaced. I do get that it’s frustrating when things aren’t working well.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
Ok, I’m glad you’re submitting feedback. Hopefully thinks look brighter for you when you get your battery replaced. I do get that it’s frustrating when things aren’t working well.
The battery life being worst is just a part of the beta experience though, it’s one of the sacrifices to be made when beta testing. It’s well worth it though as beta testing is so much fun to do.

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
The battery life being worst is just a part of the beta experience though, it’s one of the sacrifices to be made when beta testing. It’s well worth it though as beta testing is so much fun to do.
I thought I was the only one that found it to be fun haha

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
I thought I was the only one that found it to be fun haha

Nope. I started beta testing during the iOS 7 redesign, and it was the worst. Every year since then, I've told myself I'm going to wait until later betas, but I'm always drawn in by both big features and small details. This year was no different. I credit Macrumors with my itch to jump into the latest and greatest, despite the so-called risks.

But overall, it's a blast. I love discovering "the little things" that start as hidden bullet points in the WWDC keynote. Even not as a real developer, I love tinkering with this stuff and even working through bugs, trying to figure out what's wrong.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
Nope. I started beta testing during the iOS 7 redesign, and it was the worst. Every year since then, I've told myself I'm going to wait until later betas, but I'm always drawn in by both big features and small details. This year was no different. I credit Macrumors with my itch to jump into the latest and greatest, despite the so-called risks.

But overall, it's a blast. I love discovering "the little things" that start as hidden bullet points in the WWDC keynote. Even not as a real developer, I love tinkering with this stuff and even working through bugs, trying to figure out what's wrong.
Yeah, it's a fun thing to do.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Personally in my experience of iOS 11, the betas were better performing than the actual release.

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Personally in my experience of iOS 11, the betas were better performing than the actual release.

Thinking back to last year, I would say this is true. Something went wonky in the later betas and never righted itself. The early betas were superior. I hope this path does not repeat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.