Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samosa

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
London
Hi Everyone, I'm after some advice, since getting this phone i've noticed from beneath the camera it begins to heat up and spread downwards and the across (imagine an L) initially i put it down to the restore function of itunes from 6s to xs as it would've been working it's rear end off due to 120gb of data.

My sister, sister-in-law and work colleagues opted for the XSMax, i've asked if they experienced the heat problem and they said no so i booked an appointment at Apple

I had a Genius(UK) appointment today and the Genius did their scan of the phone, said nothing is reporting to be faulty and showed me this on his iPad, even though my phone was pretty warm.

He put the issue down to restoring from iTunes rather than setting up as new when i received the iPhone, and insisted on upselling iCloud iCloud iCloud but, this is additional cost which i don't want or need as i have 120gb data and a 512gb iPhone.
It also contradicts https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201269#itunes which says i can restore in the manor i have been doing do.

My question is, as stupid as it sounds, can my old data effect the phone in such a manor that it's heating up, my 6S never did this?

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
It might be all that data getting sorted but it’s hard to say with certainty. I had overheating issues with all my X’s until the iOS 11.4 update came out. Not sure what changed with the update but I was glad it did because the phone would go into a very low performance mode and lag with every task to the point it was an unbearable experience to use the phone until it cooled. Apple had the phone themselves and never gave me a solution or reason why it did it just that in a nutshell I’m using the phone too intensively which was a poor answer because it didn’t matter how I used the phone it would just happen. Hopefully that isn’t what’s going on with your phone.

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
I would continue to monitor your iPhone. Restores can often cause the phone to heat up. Watch it.

samosa

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
London
Appreciate all the replies. I'm not concerned about the heat generated during the backup/restore as i expect the phone will be in overdrive mode.

The phone heats up on up when i'm browsing internet or on social media, same usage on my 6s didnt do this.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Appreciate all the replies. I'm not concerned about the heat generated during the backup/restore as i expect the phone will be in overdrive mode.

The phone heats up on up when i'm browsing internet or on social media, same usage on my 6s didnt do this.

Sounds like the same thing that happened to me then. This must be just due to the sandwiched hardware plus glass acting as a hotbox of sorts. Get Apple involved, they'll at least try to remedy it somehow.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Question is what were you doing when the device was heating up? Were you charging the device while using it? Depending on certain apps like Snapchat, YouTube, Netflix etc the device can get heated on prolong use of these apps. While it can be heated whhen charging, the device could be backing up data if connected to WiFi or its absorbing too much quickly for fast charging. After an update, the device may need to re-index and you may notice a decrease in battery life. I only had this once on my X while I was charging it, assuming it was doing an iCloud backup, and set it on my air purifier to cool the back of the device :p

It can also be a corrupted backup that may cause the device to heat up as well but there are ways to test this if you restore the device as new and sync it back up with iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.