Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
I've been on 4G/LTE for ages, as I really didn't see the need for my pocket-computer phone have whiplash-fast internet.

I switched today, since the plan was actually cheaper, and I'm a nerd who loves this kind of nonsense.

Anyway, home wifi averaged about 2mb/s Wifi on a good day. Perfectly fine, when considering I'm a floor and a small house away from the router (with a ton of active gadgets in the house).

My iPhone 12 Pro with 5G switched on, hot-spot to my M2 MBA, through a VPN?! 10MB/s average... average~!!!!

Tech is amazing. The people who build this stuff deceiver more credit than I give them, especially considering the hours I spend reading/watching/talking about tech...

Real-world usage might not look impressive in a YT video on paper, but if you consider how fast 10MB/s is for anything I realistically need to do, it looks pretty damn good to me.

Cheers,
Computer Science (etc.) majors!

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
If your fiber is faster than 2MB/s but your wifi router is ancient then the router is your bottleneck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.