Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zzz420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2018
Indiana, USA
So I’ve always kinda wondered this, my phone always gives me an ETA to work and home and on sundays when I go to my moms for dinner. I realize that is because I have a fairly regular schedule and it automatically tracks my location

The creepy part is, it gives me the “13 mins to home” notification as I get in my car. Not as I start to drive away, but as I sit in the driver seat and turn the vehicle on. How does it know when I get in my car???? Anyone else notice this?

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
From my understanding, it uses some combination of bluetooth and then location tracking (since it knows speed and distance). When you turn on your car, your bluetooth connects always.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Zzz420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2018
Indiana, USA
From my understanding, it uses some combination of bluetooth and then location tracking (since it knows speed and distance). When you turn on your car, your bluetooth connects always.
That makes sense, ig I had never thought about it connecting to my head unit. Thanks a bunch, that makes me feel a little less creeped out haha

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Fuzzy logic.
It has learned that you usually travel to a certain place at a certain time.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Yeah but it give me the notification as soon as I turn my car on

Right. Because that’s when it senses the Bluetooth it associates with your car. If you ride a bike and always used a Bluetooth headset while riding, it would probably do the same thing.

Reactions: mman454

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Yeah but it give me the notification as soon as I turn my car on
It does the same for me. <sarcasm>I trick it and drive home a different way.</sarcasm>
The iPhone uses several pieces of information to know when you get in the car. It remembers where you stopped moving at 40mph, wiggled around and stopped for 5 seconds, then began walking. Again Fuzzy logic. If possible it will also connect to bluetooth, but it is not necessary.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
It does the same for me. <sarcasm>I trick it and drive home a different way.</sarcasm>
The iPhone uses several pieces of information to know when you get in the car. It remembers where you stopped moving at 40mph, wiggled around and stopped for 5 seconds, then began walking. Again Fuzzy logic. If possible it will also connect to bluetooth, but it is not necessary.

I think the bluetooth is a big part of it because it only brings up the alert for me about to traffic to work or to home or to the gym only when I turn on the ignition in my car. I can be sitting in my car for 5 minutes, but only when it turns on does that alert pop up. Thats also how the automatic parked car pinning happens. It knows where your bluetooth disconnected.

Reactions: ZEEN0j

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
So I’ve always kinda wondered this, my phone always gives me an ETA to work and home and on sundays when I go to my moms for dinner. I realize that is because I have a fairly regular schedule and it automatically tracks my location

The creepy part is, it gives me the “13 mins to home” notification as I get in my car. Not as I start to drive away, but as I sit in the driver seat and turn the vehicle on. How does it know when I get in my car???? Anyone else notice this?
Not only does it know that you are in the car. But Siri acts like your wife. She starts asking you where you are going, and what time you’ll be back...

nephron8

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
Accelerometer data is big part of it. Google maps also does this. I took break while driving,within 2 minutes it marked location as your car parked here.
Tracking is too much.
Bluetooth connection to car is secondary data point.
[doublepost=1519270929][/doublepost]Eta estimation is based on traffic data gained from all car owners map usage.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I’m wondering if different BT devices, like cars, have a device type DNA, that allows the phonr to know what type of device it’s connecting to.

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
That makes sense, ig I had never thought about it connecting to my head unit. Thanks a bunch, that makes me feel a little less creeped out haha

I'm pretty sure it's mostly Bluetooth, although there's probably a good bit of AI going on, too, in terms of knowing where you're headed. It works almost all of the time in my wife's car, which has a built-in Bluetooth system. But in my older car, in which I use a 3rd-party adapter, it only started recognizing my car under the 11.3 betas (or maybe it was 11.2.5? I can't remember now).

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
Are we talking about Apple Maps here or Google Maps? I have both apps on my iPhone and once in a while (not always) Apple Maps will alert me "Parked Car Location" once I start walking away from my car. My iPhone connects to my car automatically via Bluetooth when starting the vehicle, and I never get the "Xx of minutes to get home or work" notifications the OP gets...

If I want to know how long it will take to Home or Work, I can enable the Google Travel Times widget on the iPhone and it will give me the time there....but it never pushes a notification, either does Apple Maps. I do have a brand new car too, IDK...

Reactions: Celerondon

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Significant locations provides some of this information. If turned on it knows how often you go to certain locations and bases on this.

ChiefB1

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
Yeah. Yeah. I understand all this Bluetooth in the car, a regular schedule stuff and even traveling 40 MPH... - HOWEVER, I have an OLD car (IE: no Bluetooth) and no regular schedule... I sit in the car; look at my phone and it says something like, “...don’t use while driving...”!?!? That is freaky...

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Yeah. Yeah. I understand all this Bluetooth in the car, a regular schedule stuff and even traveling 40 MPH... - HOWEVER, I have an OLD car (IE: no Bluetooth) and no regular schedule... I sit in the car; look at my phone and it says something like, “...don’t use while driving...”!?!? That is freaky...

That’s likely just the accelerometer and GPS in the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.