Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I have had a G4 Powerbook for about 2 years now. It has been nothing but amazing until recently, it has been moving really slow. It has an 80 gb hd and it says I have 16 gb left, so I think I have plenty of room. I have 1.5 gb of memory as well so I do not think that is the problem. Is there any way to speed this thing back up to how it was the day I got it aside from deleting all my music (40 gb) and other stuff?

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It just takes a significantly larger amount of time to load programs and also the software update that I just installed took A LOT longer than it ever has before and it was less stuff to download than other times. I recognize that the second example is probably because of internet connection and not the computer though. Still, any help is appreciated. Is there any sort of cleaning or maintinance that should be done every once in a while?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Well, you have plenty of disk space.

You never mentioned which version of OS X you were running. Knowing that will let us know what "maintenance" needs to be done (if any).

As a troubleshooting measure, you should try logging in as another user (create one if you need to) and doing similar tasks you know are "slow". Does the slowness effect that user as well, or is the "slowness" restricted to your normal user?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.