Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
What can I do?

I live in the UK and was just browsing the internet on my Mac when nearby my house was hit by lightning. I didn't realisewhat was going on at first because as I sat in my living room the room flashed white and I felt a shock as I quickly noticed a white flashed left my Powerbook to my hand, a split second later I realised it was lightning due to the bang of thunder outside.
Now after my Powerbook flashing I can't get it to work properly, the hard drive keeps making wweird noises and the screen flickers. I can't seem to get it to work properly any ideas? Also do any of you guys know whether this would be covered by insurance as my laptop seems pretty broke now.

sonofapplepm

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
Wheatland, Ia
I'm pretty sure that homeowner's or renter's insurance would cover it! I think that if you had it looked at by an Apple repair shop, they could see the damage was from a power surge! I had a friend who's brand new big screen tv got replaced after a lightning strike!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
An example of where a surge protector is very important on valuable electronic equipment. I also have a battery backup for my desktop. APC (American Power Conversion) is a company that I highly recommend. You can find more information using the country that you live.

http://www.apc.com/

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So lightning struck your PB and you saw it transfer over to your hand?!!?!? :eek: Amazing.

And not to be a downer, but I don't think Homeowner's insurance would cover this, as they don't cover "natural disasters." Actually, some natural disasters are covered, but not the semi-common ones. So flooding would be covered if there was a flood where you live, but a large rainstorm causing damage to your roof wouldn't be. Lightning may not be covered if its just your PB that broke.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Abstract said:
So lightning struck your PB and you saw it transfer over to your hand?!!?!? :eek: Amazing.

And not to be a downer, but I don't think Homeowner's insurance would cover this, as they don't cover "natural disasters." Actually, some natural disasters are covered, but not the semi-common ones. So flooding would be covered if there was a flood where you live, but a large rainstorm causing damage to your roof wouldn't be. Lightning may not be covered if its just your PB that broke.
Actually, flood insurance is separate from homeowner's insurance (at least in the United States). If there is a flood, your homeowner's insurance does not cover it. But it does cover tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, fires, wind damage (falling trees and the like), etc. Basically anything EXCEPT floods. Strange, but true.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I can't decide whether this is an example of clean living or bad karma! Either way, whatever you do, don't move. You know what they say about lightening striking...

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Your HD may be ok. If you think the computer isn't worth fixing, and you don't or can't spend the money on repair, you might consider removeing the drive and mounting it in another enclousure.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Download---G4-Aluminum-15-Powerbook-Take-Apart-Manual-p-16559.html

Even if the insurance policy covers your computer, the policicy's deductable may be greater than the computer is worth. You can call an insurance company and not identifi yourself. You can ask questions about a policy that you want to have. Find out if reporting the lightning strick will raise your rates, even if they don't intend to pay out.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Your HD may be ok. If you think the computer isn't worth fixing, and you don't or can't spend the money on repair, you might consider removeing the drive and mounting it in another enclousure.

How to take apart a 15 inch G4 PB

Even if the insurance policy covers your computer, the policicy's deductable may be greater than the computer is worth. You can call an insurance company and not identifi yourself. You can ask questions about a policy that you want to have. Find out if reporting the lightning strick will raise your rates, even if they don't intend to pay out.

Sorry, I feel your pain. I was wacked by a car while on my bike (They think.), and my old tangerinE clamshell faired about as well as I did. I hope you can find a way to get the data off and to get a new computer.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
im pretty sure its broke and cant really be bothered to take it apart, as i don't have the time

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Abstract said:

Yea :eek: Thats just what I was thinking

I think you should be happy you're not hurt or dead after that. Lightning is dangerous stuff ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.