Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heymrcarter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2023
After watching a number of videos, I wanted to toss out another couple of thoughts where I think the reality headset can go.

Mixed Reality Behavior

I personally think apples approach to mixed reality will be different to others in that instead recreating everything from the real world into the virtual, apple will simply block out unimportant elements of the real world and bring the important elements into a virtual world.

Mixed Reality Workstation

I think apple will take a different approach that the other's here. Instead of creating 'virtual' monitors that have low resolution and refresh rates, I think apple will look at taking your existing monitor setup on your workstation and map it into a 'virtual' environment. Fairly similar to how you can select a subject in the photos app, the headset could select subjects of monitors of your screen and place those objects into a virtual environment. This will allow you to have a workstation you are familiar with and be high performant as you are not creating additional external virtual displays that are too bright and low performant.

Additional functionality of the Mixed Reality Dial

There is a lot of buzz about the dial being able to move in and out of a virtual / mixed reality environment. I am not so sure there is a dial; However, if there is, I think the dial will also be used for navigation and menu selection in certain areas where hand gesture selection doesn't make sense.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I think it will be cheaper and be geared towards consumers. There isn’t one instance when Apple has introduced a product that wasn’t first geared towards the general consumer. Maybe servers, but that’s generally been after all the consumer products had been released first.

Reactions: srknpower

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
After watching a number of videos, I wanted to toss out another couple of thoughts where I think the reality headset can go.

Mixed Reality Behavior

I personally think apples approach to mixed reality will be different to others in that instead recreating everything from the real world into the virtual, apple will simply block out unimportant elements of the real world and bring the important elements into a virtual world.

Mixed Reality Workstation

I think apple will take a different approach that the other's here. Instead of creating 'virtual' monitors that have low resolution and refresh rates, I think apple will look at taking your existing monitor setup on your workstation and map it into a 'virtual' environment. Fairly similar to how you can select a subject in the photos app, the headset could select subjects of monitors of your screen and place those objects into a virtual environment. This will allow you to have a workstation you are familiar with and be high performant as you are not creating additional external virtual displays that are too bright and low performant.

Additional functionality of the Mixed Reality Dial

There is a lot of buzz about the dial being able to move in and out of a virtual / mixed reality environment. I am not so sure there is a dial; However, if there is, I think the dial will also be used for navigation and menu selection in certain areas where hand gesture selection doesn't make sense.

You could just have waited another day before creating an account and type all that :)

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Your predictions make no sense to me.
How would a virtual monitor be “too bright” when that brightness would be adjustable by the user? Why would the virtual monitor have a low refresh rate? Screens in VR devices operate at a higher refresh rate than the typical desktop monitor, which is 60Hz.

Do you think this is going to be a device with a transparent front? If that’s the case, pretty much every rumor about the device is wildly off the mark.

Reactions: windowsblowsass

heymrcarter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2023
Your predictions make no sense to me.
How would a virtual monitor be “too bright” when that brightness would be adjustable by the user? Why would the virtual monitor have a low refresh rate? Screens in VR devices operate at a higher refresh rate than the typical desktop monitor, which is 60Hz.

Do you think this is going to be a device with a transparent front? If that’s the case, pretty much every rumor about the device is wildly off the mark.

TL;DR

What I see in the AR space is overlaying virtual object in the real environment. I think Apple's approach might include this approach but they take a different approach by mapping physical content into a virtual space.

---

For example, from what I have seen with Meta's approach - Essentially what they have done is create multiple virtual monitors to bring into the virtual environment. (example
)

One problem I have seen with these approaches is that the resolution is small, the refresh rate is low, and the performance is poor. Additionally, I believe this requires a cable attached to your headset and has a certain system requirements for your pc to support it.

I personally think apples approach will be a bit different (at least for the mixed reality aspect). It's a bit hard to explain but imagine you're in your living room watching Apple TV or you're at your computer desk with multiple monitors (maybe a laptop display, desktop monitor, and maybe an iPad on a stand) and that room being pitch black (with the exception of the displays). When you move your head around, it gives the appearance the display is 'floating' if you will because everything around the display is black. So I think apples approach will be similar to this where it will have cameras on the headset that will crop out all of the 'black' areas and put those into a virtual world and those 'black' areas could be replaced with a virtual environment (i.e. in a virtual coffee shop, etc.).

By doing something like this I think you would be able to take advantage of the current features for your displays (i.e. custom display settings, pro-motion, making text larger or smaller, etc.).

Also, if one of your displays was an iPad (maybe controlled through universal control), It would be pretty pretty trivial to bring that display into the virtual space with the approach I am talking about.

Another example of this would be watching a movie through Apple TV with Friends / Family through Share Play. If both parties have a headset, maybe they could sit on the sofa and watch their respective **REAL** display in a virtual environment. If only one party has the headset, they could watch their **REAL** TV in a virtual environment.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
These Apple device and the one you linked above are opaque. The only way to see a real screen is to capture it with cameras and show that captured live video of the screen on the VR displays. That will always be worse quality than rendering the monitor/TV natively in VR.
And the main benefit of VR for these uses is that you can have screens of any size and configuration suited for the task you are doing.

People wouldn't bother with a physical 55"-75" screen if they could have a movie theater sized screen anywhere they are.
And my VR headset has a higher maximum refresh rate than any ProMotion display.

If you want a virtual environment, you can put that behind the virtual monitors. Put you workspace on a mountaintop or underwater in a coral reef.

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
spacetop_screens_1-100941483-large.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.