Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esh314

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
I like being able to see the status icons in the status bar, such as Do Not Disturb / Focus Mode, Rotation Lock, Battery Percentage, battery level of paired bluetooth device, etc. The notch took up so much space that you couldn't see those at a glance--you had to swipe down to the Control Center to see them. I was hoping that the smaller pill notch in the iPhone 14 Pro would free up space to show status icons, but from screenshots it looks like Dynamic Island actually shows even fewer status icons in some situations?

Example 1: Can't see bars during phone call​

In the middle phone below, the cellular bars and wifi icons are hidden to make room for a waveform image when you're in a phone call. So if the call starts getting choppy you can't glance at your phone and see how many bars you have?

dynamic_island__evt4vjxhxlsi_medium_2x.jpg

Example 2: Can't see time when receiving incoming phone call​

Receiving a phone call makes the Dynamic Island grow so large that it even hides the time. Want to make a quick decision about whether you have enough time to take this call before your next meeting starts? Too bad, you can't see the time.

iPhone-14-Pro-Dynamic-Island-3.jpeg

The Dynamic Island looks cool and fun and useful in a lot of cases, but these two examples make me sad. It's not a good day for those of us who still have iPhone 8/SE style phones and wanted to upgrade when the notch was small enough to show status icons again.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Apple could change any of this with software in the future. My guess would be removing the soundwave visualizer on calls, since this is purely aesthetic, whilst signal bars are informative and could go there. Who knows.

If seeing the time is paramount, you can add a clock widget to your home screen. Apple would rather you buy a watch and check the time there though ;)
My guess is you can silence the incoming call with a swipe up or something, but the call waiting icon may block the time, like it does on current iPhones. Myabe the call waiting icon will move into the island, revealing the clock.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Great observations. With enough feedback hopefully the DI will be updated via software to address these concerns. Even better if Apple made the DI user customizable in Settings.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Apple could change any of this with software in the future. My guess would be removing the soundwave visualizer on calls, since this is purely aesthetic, whilst signal bars are informative and could go there. Who knows.

If seeing the time is paramount, you can add a clock widget to your home screen. Apple would rather you buy a watch and check the time there though ;)
My guess is you can silence the incoming call with a swipe up or something, but the call waiting icon may block the time, like it does on current iPhones. Myabe the call waiting icon will move into the island, revealing the clock.

I hope they do change it but Apple has been on a trajectory for a while now of removing useful information in favor of visual flair, and making the experience worse for the sake of it (subjectively) looking better.

Reactions: esh314

Eco2Eco

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
Honestly, not a big deal to me. If I'm willing to take a phone call, I most likely also have my Apple Watch on.
As for a choppy, possible loss of signal phone call. I can't remember ever looking at my bars. I may look to see if a the call was dropped outright. But, don't ever remember looking at the bars 🤷‍♀️. Just not an issue for me.

Reactions: zecanard and chabig

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Honestly, not a big deal to me. If I'm willing to take a phone call, I most likely also have my Apple Watch on.
As for a choppy, possible loss of signal phone call. I can't remember ever looking at my bars. I may look to see if a the call was dropped outright. But, don't ever remember looking at the bars 🤷‍♀️. Just not an issue for me.

Maybe but they’re hiding time and signal strength in favor of showing you a fake oscilloscope and the caller’s contact picture, which I don’t know about you but most of my contacts don’t have.

Doesn’t seem like a good tradeoff. Just like wasting a millimeter at the bottom of my Mac screen with the “floating” dock, or hiding the interaction and dismiss buttons on notifications.

dogstar

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
What is the percentage of iphone users that use apple watches every day? Can't possibly be more than 10% can it?

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
This deserves a ton of upvotes. The dynamic island concept is clever but the ultimate functionality remains tbd. The more time I spend on the dynamic island, the more I think it’s mostly a visual gimmick. Hope to be proven wrong.

dogstar

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Since Tim Cook's advice for people who wanted RCS is to buy an iPhone, Apple's solution for this is for you to buy an Apple Watch.

Reactions: esh314
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.