Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
I've had my MBA to the workshop twice because of the grey horizontal lines. Now the fun thing is that they have rejected to replace the MBA and tried to repair the problem. So far they have replaced the screen twice and, of course without success :/
Dont know how some companies can waste money and service like this :)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
You could tell them to call Apple and have them release the supposed soon to be firmware "fix" to correct for once and all. I still believe this has something to do with power or interference of power from either the LED power or display itself... I tried a bunch of stuff with a computer engineer and couldn't repeat anything... I believe Apple knows what the deal is and if was a "simple" fix would already be finished... UNLESS that means they have to RUIN the capabilities of the battery performance thereby not qualifying it for the "gold" power ratings for battery performance and etc... makes sense to me!

BTW, my rev C MBA once had lines and now it doesn't but I cannot repeat or identify why??? seriously sucks!!!

EDIT - sucks because I couldn't identify or help others... doesn't suck as I have NO LINES on my rev C anymore.

Good luck.

23isbackagain

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
have been through this over a five week period - apple are not willing to admit there is a problem you need to hope that your service agent agrees with you. they replaced my rev b screen twice even though the tech said it wouldnt fix the problem. they then tried to replace the logic board twice and the screen one more time - the only reason i think they gave in is because they sent out a faulty logic board in week 5 and i complained and finally got a rev c replacement - its still got lines but gonna have to live with it - but the fans issues and video playback are a little better on rev c than b...

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
So the Rev A's never suffered this fate? I have a refurb Rev A that had a bum screen on arrival (ghosting when going from black to white, but no lines). The screen was replaced in 2 days with a new one, no lines either and no ghosting. Its perfect.

As for the OP, my guess is that when a repair place takes out a display to swap, they look over the one they send it back to Apple and if its fine by their standards it gets circulated back into the replacement cycle.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
So the Rev A's never suffered this fate? I have a refurb Rev A that had a bum screen on arrival (ghosting when going from black to white, but no lines). The screen was replaced in 2 days with a new one, no lines either and no ghosting. Its perfect.

As for the OP, my guess is that when a repair place takes out a display to swap, they look over the one they send it back to Apple and if its fine by their standards it gets circulated back into the replacement cycle.

The A's had better screens all around, the Bs and Cs are not as good. Period.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007

I had 3 REV A's, and while they had many defects (hence the three models), they did not really suffer from the line issue. One of them did have a major screen problem with gagged black lines popping up all over the screen, although I think it was due to a graphics issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.