Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
This is kind of sensitive for me to write, but I decided to share my experience since Apple is actively promoting these new features of the latest iPhones. Its gonna be short, but what it tells us is that Apple does have its pulse on what really matters. I am sure many have seen my post in threads always saying I won't upgrade from my trusty old iPhone X until iPhone 15. But I likely got a reason I might sooner than later.

crash 1.png crash 2.png

Last week I was in a very serious car accident, my first and actually got to witness in action car detection. My conclusion, it works! A few weeks ago, my co-worker upgraded from his iPhone 11 Max to an iPhone 14 Plus. Since spring, I have been carpooling with him. This was just another ride home, he got onto i5 and within about 5 minutes, we saw several vehicles backed up and not moving. Co-worker pulled on his breaks, but at the velocity we were moving, it didn't give us enough time to stop. His car rammed right into a taxi. The jolt from the impact made a statement. Behind us, a brand new Mercedes SUV just off the lot rammed into us - those vehicles are built like a tank, hardly had a scratch except for a broken headlight. My co-workers car on the other hand was pretty much written off.

crash 3.png crash 4.png

There is a surreal experience, because you are witnessing the crash about to take place and also experiencing the impact of it. All I can say about this is wearing your seatbelt more than anything probably saved me from getting injured. Upon impact, my co-workers iPhone 14 Plus announced 'it seems you have been in a serious car crash'. My mind was not in a state to pull out my phone and record this. What I can remember is my co-worker trying to turn it off. But it immediately made the announcement, called 911 and he got through to an operator who took details, asked if we were injured, knew our location on the highway. And thats basically it.
crash 5.png crash 6.png

The what ifs that make Crash Detection so vital is if you are injured and unable to move or make a call, the peace of mind is there that emergency response will automatically be reached with no physical intervention on your part required.

crash 7.png

While on the road side, I was telling my co-worker congratulations on using a feature Apple doesn't want you to use on your new iPhone. He chuckled. State patrol, emergency services were on the spot in minutes. The taxi we rammed into, a passenger was in back and might have been injured, they had to be put in an ambulance. Except for being sore and shaken, most of us were ok. The lady driving the Mercedes, her husband and father in law came on the scene. Her father in law took her home and the husband took us home in the still drivable Mercedes.

I don't know why Luke Miani never got it to work, but we sure did.

germaocruz

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
Madrid
Thanks for sharing this, I had a terrible car accident some years ago and I couldn’t have called emergencies by myself as I was out of mi mind, in shock. Thank god someone saw the accident and called.

Reactions: Mr. Dee

turbochgd

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
Thank you for sharing. It’s always nice to hear technology like that works as it was designed. So glad you didn’t get injured.

Reactions: Mr. Dee

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It’s an experience that no one should have but it’s good to hear a real world example of the Apple crash detection technology working. I’m glad you’re all okay and didn’t suffer any serious injuries or worse.

Reactions: dotatoc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.