Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Well, this "kid" has been stealing my code/layout since August, and before now I didn't mind it because he was just a new person at the web and I figured he'd find his own "niche".

But he hasn't, I just checked his site after he left a comment on one of my entries and I found something surprising!

My CSS file:
/*
Theme Name: Squible
Theme URI: http://www.squible.com
Description: Hacked more than a rat in a tin shithouse
Version: Alpha 1.5
*/

#pb {
background: url(http://media.amacgenius.com/pbapp.png) no-repeat top left;
width: 385px;
height: 21px;
}

#rightlogo {
background: url(http://media.amacgenius.com/ghost.png) no-repeat top right;
width: 35px;
height: 54px;
position: absolute;
top: 0px;
left: 95%;
bottom: 95%;
right: 5px;
}

#rightlogo a {
padding: 20px;
}

#bar {

}

#bar li {
display: inline;
}

#bar li a {
font: 8pt 'Lucida Grande', Helvetica, Arial, Sans-Serif;
color: #d19522;
font-weight: bold;
padding: 7px 15px 6px;
}

#bar li a:hover {
padding-top: -2px;
color: #FFF !important;
text-decoration: none;
}

His CSS file:
/*
Theme Name: Squible
Theme URI: http://www.squible.com
Author: Theron Parlin and James Carppe
Description: Hacked more than a rat in a tin shithouse
Version: Alpha 2.2
*/

#pb {
background: url(http://www.webersworld.net/media/Andrew_bar.png) repeat top left;
width: 385px;
height: 21px;
}

#rightlogo {
background: url(http://www.webersworld.net/media/Picture 4.png) no-repeat top right;
width: 50px;
height: 60px;
position: absolute;
top: 0px;
left: 95%;
bottom: 95%;
right: 5px;
}

#rightlogo a {
padding: 20px;
}

#bar {
background: url( http://www.webersworld.net/media/Andrew_bar.png) repeat;
margin: 0;
height: 25px;
}

#bar li {
display: inline;
}

#bar li a {
font: 9pt 'Lucida Grande', Helvetica, Arial, Sans-Serif;
color: #000000 !important;
background: repeat top left;
font-weight: bold;
padding: 0;
margin-right: 15px;
margin-left: 15px;
}

#bar li a:hover {
padding-top: -2px;
color: rgb(58, 118, 215) !important;
text-decoration: none;
}

Oh wow he added and subtracted a few things, but he even kept my div ids! I could see him copying my CSS and then changing the div id names but to copy it directly pisses me off.

I worked hard on my nav bar and new layout on my WP-Theme and this kid just goes to my site and takes whatever code he wants, it's not cool with me...now I hate to give him linkage but this is proof.

My site: Link
His site: Link

You'll even notice in the middle part he stole my format, heck, you can tell he copied my blog stats code because he even forgot to put it in a <div class="tooltitle"></div> tag.

I've just about had it with this kid, and I've asked him multiple times to stop, so what I'm asking really is how do I handle this situation, I've tried locking him out of my site but somehow he keeps coming back...

Help is welcomed in advance, thanks!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Just kind of curious why you care. Is he somehow making money off of you, or taking visitors away from your site? It's not like the sites look the same or anything. Most sites (including yours) are based on another site -- they build off that as a starting point.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
From what you've said, you've already contacted him and asked him to stop to no avail.

From here, I'd contact his host. Some more advice can be found here.

Hope you get this sorted out.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I've just sent him this email:

Dear Andrew,

You already know who I am, and this is your last official warning from me before I get a lawyer and other forces involved. I've asked you multiple times on AIM to stop stealing my ideas, and now you're even stealing my CSS code. Do not tell me you haven't been because I just compared the stylesheets.

Also, you've copied my whole layout including nav bar, "nifty" box, middle box and you even copied my blog stats code which you forgot to put a around.

I'm getting sick of me putting hard work into my site, just to have you go there, look at the code and copy it and pass it off as your own.

This is your LAST WARNING, or I will be forced to take legal action (isn't it great to have a lawyer in the family?).

I'm asking you nicely, please remove any content and/or code you've "taken" from me within 24 hours or I will take further necessary action to reclaim what was mine that was "stolen" from me.
I don't take this lightly, I take it as a "job" and to have somebody steal my work is like a slap in the face. If you wanted help, that would have been fine and you should have asked.

Sincerely,
Laurence Anderson

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
wordmunger said:
Just kind of curious why you care. Is he somehow making money off of you, or taking visitors away from your site? It's not like the sites look the same or anything. Most sites (including yours) are based on another site -- they build off that as a starting point.

He is stealing somebody's hard earned work. Whether he is stealing visitors or making money off it is irrelevant.

And the sites look practically identical, just with a different colour scheme.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
munkle said:
He is stealing somebody's hard earned work. Whether he is stealing visitors or making money off it is irrelevant.

And the sites look practically identical, just with a different colour scheme.

They would like a lot more similar if I put my old css file back (I'm currently using a "Halloween Theme" until Monday when I put my old one back.)

Edit: Thank you munkle, I'm glad at least somebody understands why I'm mad.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
I would be kind of a proud on place if someone was to look up to my code as an inspiration. Just face it, in web design and more clearly the code is often taken from other sites and put together.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I don't understand the confusion WordMunger.

Yes the site is based on a WordPress, an open sourced platform, and a freely available theme. The issue isn't with the use of WP or the theme. But rather copying the work done by amacgenius to the theme, which he DID NOT make freely available to the public.

Or are you suggesting that because his site is built from freely available software, that he doesn't have the right to his own work?

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Doesn't seem like something to get that worked up about; take it as a complement. Maybe you can ask him to put a reference to you in the html and css files, commented out? Your next steps seem to be talking to his host, and then finding a lawyer. But is it worth it?

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Phatpat said:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Doesn't seem like something to get that worked up about; take it as a complement. Maybe you can ask him to put a reference to you in the html and css files, commented out? Your next steps seem to be talking to his host, and then finding a lawyer. But is it worth it?

You don't understand, this kid found me on macteens one day and then kept asking for help and how to do this and that, then it turned into him blatantly copying me, without asking, without tell me. If it were anybody else who had at least told me, I wouldn't be upset.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I agree that I'd be pissed if some one we're lifting my graphics/code you do have to take a step back here and realize that your design isn't really original. I mean you took very heavy style queue's from OS X and Apple's website.

So as frustrating as this is for you I'm not sure what, if anything you can do because you certainly can't lay claim to your nav bar, color scheme or the powerbook graphic.

So as annoying as this is I'm not really sure how much of a leg you have to stand on here because technically no harm is done to your site but him doing this. And secondly you didn't really create or conceive very much.

I hate to sounds like a jerk, but that's my 2 cents.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
munkle said:
I don't understand the confusion WordMunger.

Yes the site is based on a WordPress, an open sourced platform, and a freely available theme. The issue isn't with the use of WP or the theme. But rather copying the work done by amacgenius to the theme, which he DID NOT make freely available to the public.

Or are you suggesting that because his site is built from freely available software, that he doesn't have the right to his own work?

Sorry, I edited my original post. No, I think he does have a right to his own work -- but I didn't think the underlying code was particularly important, especially since BOTH of them copied most of the code from other places -- the important part is the way it looks to the public.

I hadn't see how much of the site was copied until he changed back to the pre-halloween theme, and now it makes much more sense why he's complaining.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
carpe diem said:
Sue the B%£$%^$£

burgers
fries
5 litre bottles of coke
'sue the bastard'
cheap fuel
millions of different variations of coffee and ways to cook eggs

god damn i love america! ;)

I would like to see what your 'lawyer' says when you tell him or what he intends to do about it.

sorry your site was ripped.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Dude I understand your frustration with him stealing your code.....but it is a blog site and to get lawers and auterities involved is kinda going overboard. That and on his site, he credits you with some of the code. Come on give this kid a break and be a little more tolerant. Hmmmm I like your code.... I may just have to create a site lol jk.;)

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
dukebound85 said:
Dude I understand your frustration with him stealing your code.....but it is a blog site and to get lawers and auterities involved is kinda going overboard. That and on his site, he credits you with some of the code. Come on give this kid a break and be a little more tolerant. Hmmmm I like your code.... I may just have to create a site lol jk.;)

I struck a deal with him, that's why he credited me finally.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
While it sucks to have your hard work ripped off, there's really not much you can do about it. I'd say that calling in a lawyer is a bit extreme and excessive. It sucks, but you've done your best to get him to stop.

I usually put the following at the top of my css, because it does take awhile to write and I don't want to be taken advantage of.

-Everything here has been written by me by hand. Feel free to look at the code, study it, and try to find ways to incorporate new ideas into your websites. Afterall, 'human knowledge belongs to the world.' However, make it your own, don't use it in full. Learn from me, don't copy me. Writing your own code isn't as intimadating as it sounds.

The way I see it, there's a fine line between learning and copying. Make the line bold, and be as firm as possible while attempting to be nice.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Funny topic. There was another thread a few weeks ago about ripping peoples sites and most people thought it was okay if you're not making a profit. It think it total BS and you should take action until he does something about it.

TrumanApple

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
amacgenius said:
For comparison sake, here's two screenshots:

Andrew Webers' Site:

My Site:

To be completely fair, doesnt your backround image of a laptop display a 12" iBook where he displays a 12" powerbook.... the differnece between those two computers is huge... ibook doesnt even have mini dvi

I honestly dont see why you are complaining, those websites are totally different.

Err

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2005
call a lawyer? over a few dozen lines of css? stored in a public directory as plain txt, sorry no case...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.