Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I got two emails from sony, within two minutes of each other - one stating that my password changed (from France) and secondly my sign-in id was changed.

Took me the better part of 60 minutes on the chat to get it resolved.
I had to verify my email (by getting an email and clicking validate), supply what games I bought, where my account was activated (city/state), my serial number of the playstation. It was painful, but thankfully I got my account back. It still had my name, but a different PSN ID, which had friends, groups and messages that were not for me. My credit card info was still there, but the moment I saw I couldn't access my account I called AMEX and cancelled the card.

I lost my PSN ID, I'm back in the chat queue waiting to see if they can see what that used to be and/or re-use it.

What a pain, I'll bear some of the responsibility by not having 2FA turned on (the hacker turned it on for his phone), and I made sure I added security questions as well.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I needed a second chat session to recover my online id, but thankfully I was able to do it.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
I got two emails from sony, within two minutes of each other - one stating that my password changed (from France) and secondly my sign-in id was changed.

Seems like there's weird spam on PSN now too, I logged in to make sure all was okay on my PSN and I had 4 spam private messages. I was added to groups apparently. Did you have any of that?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As another member alluded to, I suspect the password was rather simplified, which is imperative that passwords are alpha- numeric. I’ve Reached a point where I don’t even log online anymore except for software updates and then I log back off. I have no online friends, no chats or any of that nature, I just prefer the ‘solo gaming aspect‘, but I do want to performance upgrades for stability, and then I just log out, unless of course, the game requires a consistent portal to Internet capability. (Like Doom or Tom Clancy for example.)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
As another member alluded to, I suspect the password was rather simplified
I don't know what controls Sony has in place but generally I get emails on failed attempts various sites, and/or three strikes and then an email saying that the acount was locked out. The password wasn't simple, but not overly complex. I had a mixture of letters, numbers and mixed case, what I didn't have is any special characters, i.e., @#$%.

I'm leaning more to that perhaps the password was stolen or floating on the so called dark web. It was a password that used to resuse but I long fell out of that habit. This was probably the last hold over and since I hardly go into my playstation account its password security fell by the way side as well

I've tightened things up, and I'll continue to improve my password controls, not just on playstation.com but else where.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.