Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2021
A long-winded talk about my experience switching from iOS to Android

I have used almost every iPhone since the 4 (I think I skipped 11, but I upgrade almost every year). Most recently I downgraded from an iPhone 14 Pro to go back to my iPhone 13 mini because I like small phones. The iPhone 13 mini was mostly perfect for me, but the battery wasn’t lasting all day and the camera wasn’t very good. And Android is always playing with new sizes and form factors, so why not try something new? So I played with the Zenfone 9 for a couple months, debated trying an Xperia 5, and eventually settled on an S23 (the base 6.1” model).

I have dabbled in Android before, but the longest I have ever used one Android phone has been about 9 months. I even worked at Verizon Wireless for three years and was constantly being given free phones, but I always kept going back to an iPhone. Before my going full-time into iPhone, my favorite phones were a Droid 2, Droid X, and Galaxy Nexus. Then a lot of time in the iPhone world passed and I eventually got a Galaxy S8. Liked that phone a lot too. Then a lot more time passed and I got a Pixel 5a, but it was just a summer fling and I got the next iPhone that fall. Played with some other Android phones that belonged to friends, had a couple hand-me-downs, and bought a few just to play with before the return window closed. I always came back to iPhone and I still might, but I am enjoying my S23 so much right now that I needed to share my thoughts.

Outside of my phone, I use Windows at work and Windows at home for gaming. I have a 12.9" iPad Pro M1 for tinkering in front of the TV and an older iPad Air upstairs for reading comics and listening to podcasts in bed. I have used MacOS off and on for years, but it never clicked for me. For apps, I try to pick products from developers that are cross-platform and services that are web-based and platform independent. I don't have a lot of loyalty to Apple. On my iPhone, I did not use Apple's Mail, Calendar, Calculator, Weather, etc. apps. Almost every app on my phone was a 3rd party, making switching to Android pretty easy. This might not be the case for you, so don't take this as advice on how great the bright green grass is over here. I like it, but you might not.

So here’s my thoughts on the S23 vs iPhone 13 mini and Android 13 vs iOS 16. This is all just my opinion about two phones. You might not agree with me, but I am not asking you to prove me wrong. I am open to feedback though. If you see something important I missed on Android or iOS, let me know and I will try to weigh in with some more thoughts.

Hardware

The iPhone mini is one of the narrowest phones you can get. If you primarily use you phone with one hand and need to reach everything on the screen, this is the perfect form factor. Unfortunately, it’s also a dead end since Apple has no plans on making mini phones anymore. There is still hope that the next SE will keep a small form factor, but rumors don’t agree and last I heard it was going to be XR size, so not very small. We will have to wait and see. A naked mini is just 5 oz, and it doesn’t really need a case since you will always have a good grip on it unlike a big phablet.

The S23 is a bit wider, being about the same size and weight as an iPhone 13/14. It’s also one ounce heavier than the mini. Not a big difference, but it is manageable with one hand. This is getting in the range of where I might want a case, so that is another ounce or so for that. The S23+ and Ultra are definitely two-handed phones and I would not use one without a case.

Battery life on the S23 is incredible. I was worried at first because it is the smaller one and people complained a lot about the S22 battery, but there are no issues with the S23. I get 7 to 8 hours of screen time a day in a mix of cellular and wifi using a mix of GPS navigation, bluetooth audio streaming, internet browsing, and YouTube. I don't play games and I don't load up all my streaming services on my phone, so I am a lightish user. Still, the iPhone 13 mini averaged 3-4 hours screen time, so this is a big improvement. I did make a few changes to maximize the battery that I would recommend to anyone with battery anxiety: turn off RAM Plus, turn off Smart Lock, turn off Always On Display, turn off 5G, set performance mode to light (it's still plenty fast), and turn motion smoothness to standard (60 hz). I already had 5G off on my mini and it only has a 60 hz screen, so it wasn't even a change for me.

I am not going to do a full camera review, as I don’t use my camera for much. I manage a retail store, so most of my camera shots are UPCs for missing price tags or things I need to reorder. A few shots of damaged things that I should get fixed or replaced. Nothing that important. It’s just a way for me to take notes. The one thing I will mention is that the iPhone 13 mini does a horrible job on getting UPC codes in focus unless you back the phone way up and then you need to pinch and zoom to be able to read it, but the S23 does a great job at the close-up photos. The S23 takes good photos in other situations too, but I just don’t use it enough to compare the two.

Security

Now let’s talk about biometrics. My iPhone will unlock successfully most of the time with FaceID. It doesn’t matter if I am wearing sunglasses or a hat. It doesn’t care if I have grown my beard out or just shaved. The only time I have issues is when I am holding the phone too far from my face. I have great vision and just have a habit of holding the phone too far away. My fault, not Apple’s.

The gripe I have with FaceID is the animation. It’s a solid second and it adds up fast. (I feel it was even slower on the dynamic island animation, but I have not timed it.) Tons of apps use FaceID and lots of websites need FaceID to let me use Bitwarden, my password manager. The little FaceID animation is something I see at least 30 times a day. It is always accurate, but it starts to get annoying and make the phone feel slower when you are seeing that animation ALL THE TIME.

However, on my S23, the fingerprint unlock has its own issues. Ultrasonic fingerprint is supposed to be faster than in-display, and the unlock is fast when it happens. It just doesn’t always happen when I expect it to. The screen is supposed to wake when I lift up the phone, but that is not consistent. So I put my finger where the fingerprint is supposed to go instead of double-tap to wake and then seek the sensor sweet spot. This usually works, but sometimes my finger is off center. I could use always-on display so I know where the fingerprint sensor is, but there is a battery impact. Muscle memory has improved this over the past couple weeks, so only getting occasional failures.

There is also face unlock on my S23, but don’t confuse this with the IR-magic that is FaceID because it only works when I am at work with bright white LED lighting everywhere. At home, a dim warm corner lamp just causes my S23 to fail constantly. Just not enough light in most of my rooms. This feature is practically useless for me and I just turn it off.

But if you don’t like biometric unlocks, don’t forget the S23 has Smart Lock too. You can put in an address or two and make sure your phone is always unlocked at those locations. This does mean a battery impact for some constant GPS activity, I’m sure, so I have only played with it briefly. It’s nice to have the option, but might not be for me.

So Android has a lot more options. None of them are an Apple-level of JUST WORKS, but you are more likely to find something that fits your needs if you play around with all the choices.

Biometrics in apps on Android is a bit of a mixed bag. Chase on Android has a fingerprint button next to the password box. Tap that and it prompts for a fingerprint on the sensor area, making you lift and place slightly lower and to the left of where you just were. Wells Fargo, however, just prompts for my fingerprint when I open the app. What you experience just depends on developer implementation, so your experience might differ from mine.

Now here’s something you will notice when you flip-flop between these OSes. Due to developer restrictions, I gather, 1Password, Enpass, Bitwarden, etc. operate differently on iOS that their counterparts on other operating systems. On Android, I can set Bitwarden to never lock. Those options just aren’t there on password managers for iOS and I assume that is an Apple restriction. Password managers on iOS will always trigger a FaceID check. I already complained about the constant FaceID animations on my iPhone, but that problem doesn’t happen on an unlocked Android phone. If I am already unlocking my phone, then I do not want Bitwarden to authenticate me ever again. And it works. No more animations or PIN requests. No more asking questions. Furthermore, Firefox on Android allows add-ons and the Bitwarden add-on supports autofill. This means as soon as you visit a website that requires a login, the form is filled and just waiting for you to submit it.

Notifications

Okta is an app I need daily to check my work email, approve timecards, access things off our intranet, etc. I go to the site I want (e.g. outlook.office.com) and sign in with my work account. Then Okta gives me a notification asking me to confirm it was me, so I tap on the notification to go to the Okta app, confirm the activity, and then swipe back to Safari. On Android, the notification is interactive. It asks if it was me, I click yes from the notification, and I never leave my web browser. This feature alone is a game-changer for my day.

Internet

Safari with a decent ad-blocker is a great internet experience. Most sites work. AdGuard can make some pages render incorrectly, but can be turned off with a refresh. Some infinitely scrolling pages just die on Safari, but not a frequent problem. Overall, I am very happy with my internet browsing experience on iOS.

On Android, there’s a lot of choice. I am used to a bottom navigation bar like Safari switched to in iOS 15, so my main choices on Android are Vivaldi, Firefox, and Samsung Internet. For a Bitwarden user, Samsung Internet and Vivaldi will both show login info in the keyboard (Gboard) and I can tap to fill. The issue is that it frequently says my vault is locked when I have already told Bitwarden to never lock. Not sure I this is an issue with other password managers or just mine. But, as I mentioned in my Biometrics section, Firefox works best with Bitwarden due to its add-on support. And uBlock origin on Firefox is better than any other adblocker. That said, Firefox has issues. It is constantly opening new tabs instead of just going to the link in the current window. You can set them to auto-close, but my neat freak brain makes me want to close them all the time. You can put shortcuts on your browser homepage like Safari, but there is no way to rearrange them, so I ended up having to delete and re-add several to get it to look the way I liked. Also, you can change Firefox’s wallpaper just like Safari, but you can’t choose your own, so I can’t get an AMOLED black the way I like, just the blue gray dark one Firefox provides. So it’s a good browser with a lot of power, but a few caveats.

Calendar and Mail

Weird that Google Calendar and Gmail apps on iOS are better than Android, but it’s true. Google recently revamped settings on Gmail for iOS and it is clean and easy to find things. Android still has the pre-2022 Gmail settings. Not bad, but it is behind. Google Calendar is the big disappointment on Android for me. Ever since Material You started with Android 12, dark mode on Google Calendar is an eyesore. The pastel events with the black text changed to bright neon colors with white text. You can play with the colors and find a few that do black text still (e.g. wisteria and banana), but most are painful to read. The Google Calendar web experience allows you to specify classic colors, giving me the same black text that iOS does, but the Android app does not respect that preference. After trying a few 3rd party calendar apps, I settled on Digical. It offers a high contrast option that makes it far more legible.

RSS

For RSS, I am an Inoreader user. On iOS, I like Reeder because I can get the full text view without the extra swipe that Inoreader’s own app needs. On Android, I tried Pluma first since it was a pay once for lifetime access. But Pluma had a weird behavior with starring articles, where if I removed the star on Inoreader web, it stayed starred in Pluma. I would also get errors when I tried to refresh my feeds while it was already doing a background refresh. It would recover but you had to wait and refresh again. So I switched to FocusReader, which is very nice but is an annual subscription instead of a pay once app. It’s not a lot of money, so I don’t mind, but might check out other services in a year to see what has changed. Android has a TON of abandoned RSS apps and there are always new ones popping up. Neither of the two apps I have used are as pretty as Reeder, but they both work for my needs.

Podcasts

For podcasts, I never liked Overcast’s layout and was already a lifetime pro Pocket Casts user, so I just stayed with Pocket Casts on Android. It looks the same, syncs with my iPad and the web, and gives me zero headaches. 538 days of listening since July 2016 according to my stats page.

Weather

I miss Dark Sky on iOS. The iOS weather app is great, but it is too colorful and I just want a simple look. Today Weather on Android is awesome. All the data and I can turn off the pictures and radar and just get white text on a black background. It’s a basic look I love but with a ton of info. Great app.

Launcher

Springboard on iOS is old and kind of ugly. Some people complain that you can’t leave blank spaces or put apps where you like them, but my arguments are more about function than the cosmetics of the launcher. Since iOS 14’s first beta, I have been submitting feedback tickets on each and every beta through 16.3 to let them know that App Library is the worst layout ever. (Of course, the feedback is ignored, but I persevere.) App Library is just not organized well and it does not let you pick categories or move apps to the correct category when they are sorted poorly. In fact, they can change their folders sometimes on their own when you add or remove apps, as I once didn’t have an Entertainment folder, but once I hit a certain threshold of apps, they moved from Other into a new folder. I have so many Bluetooth accessories with their own apps, but some are under Utilities, some under Entertainment, and some under Health & Fitness. App Library can confuse further by putting an app in multiple places (e.g. Suggestions or Recently Added, in addition to their regular folder). It’s a real mess. So with the functionality of this feature being almost useless, I just swipe down for an alphabetical list every single time. So why is alpha-sort not the default view or a setting to toggle to make it my default?

Another issue with Springboard is you can’t rename apps or hide apps. I have a Soundcore Wakey alarm clock. I use the app twice a year to sync up daylight savings adjustments. I could uninstall the app until the next time I need it, but I would just prefer to hide it so I can only see it when I search for it by name. I also have Reeder on iOS, but hate the name Reeder. Why can’t it say RSS or Feeds? Let me nickname the apps.

Android has a ton of options and each launcher can be customized a lot. I have not used OneUI much, but Good Lock provides a lot of options to make it look the way you want and it fixes both of my complaints with Springboard. However, my love of small phones steered me towards a launcher that would be easy to use one-handed, so Niagra is my Android launcher of choice. It’s lean but clean. Pin a few favorites to the home screen and you can drag your thumb across the edge to get an alpha-sort of everything or swipe up from the bottom to search. It’s very minimal, so might not recommend it for people with tons of apps, but I can find everything quickly and easily.

Niagra’s homepage supports a few widgets. It can show time, weather, next calendar appointment, and a Now Playing screen. Just like notifications, these widgets are far more interactive than iOS widgets. For instance, you can tap on your calendar to see your entire agenda without launching a calendar app.

Niagra also allows you to rename apps and hide apps. Digical suggests you keep Google Calendar installed to fix potential sync issues and I also have Samsung Calendar that I can’t uninstall without a package disabler that might break something. But I can hide them both and the only calendar is Digical. And if I don’t like that name, I can rename it Calendar. Renamed Gmail to Mail, Pocket Casts to Podcasts, and Firefox to Internet. I make my phone bend to my will, not the other way around. That’s the beauty of Android launchers.

Automotive Experience

My car supports CarPlay and Android Auto wirelessly, so I have had a lot of experience with both.

CarPlay is pretty basic, but works well. App layout is forced alphabetical and no option to remove apps, so the screen is crowded with some apps I would never use.

Android Auto is wonderful though. It provides split-screen navigation with media playback and your most recent text all on the same screen. It switches between apps smoothly, allows you to customize the order of apps on the homescreen or remove some entirely, and is quite a bit snappier than CarPlay.

Interestingly, Siri is faster than Google. This probably has to do with more of the data being processed on device. My daily drive is through residential neighborhoods with tall trees and my signal strength can be a bit weak when moving, but always fine at red lights. Siri can just do more with an intermittent internet connection than Google. Google is a far better assistant however, so your mileage may vary (pun intended).

Last edited:

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Internet

Safari with a decent ad-blocker is a great internet experience. Most sites work. AdGuard can make some pages render incorrectly, but can be turned off with a refresh. Some infinitely scrolling pages just die on Safari, but not a frequent problem. Overall, I am very happy with my internet browsing experience on iOS.

On Android, there’s a lot of choice. I am used to a bottom navigation bar like Safari switched to in iOS 15, so my main choices on Android are Vivaldi, Firefox, and Samsung Internet. For a Bitwarden user, Samsung Internet and Vivaldi will both show login info in the keyboard (Gboard) and I can tap to fill. The issue is that it frequently says my vault is locked when I have already told Bitwarden to never lock. Not sure I this is an issue with other password managers or just mine. But, as I mentioned in my Biometrics section, Firefox works best with Bitwarden due to its add-on support. And uBlock origin on Firefox is better than any other adblocker. That said, Firefox has issues. It is constantly opening new tabs instead of just going to the link in the current window. You can set them to auto-close, but my neat freak brain makes me want to close them all the time. You can put shortcuts on your browser homepage like Safari, but there is no way to rearrange them, so I ended up having to delete and re-add several to get it to look the way I liked. Also, you can change Firefox’s wallpaper just like Safari, but you can’t choose your own, so I can’t get an AMOLED black the way I like, just the blue gray dark one Firefox provides. So it’s a good browser with a lot of power, but a few caveats.

I had the same issue with autofill and Bitwarden. There's another setting you need to enable. Go into your phone settings and then "Accessibility". From there select "installed apps". You should see Bitwarden in there, click on that and turn the option on. I also allow Bitwarden to appear on top of other apps. Should fix the locked vault issue.

You should also install the Dark Reader extension for Firefox. I swear by it with Safari on my iPhone, it works just as well. You can force all website backgrounds to true AMOLED black and it overrides other sites that won't run in dark mode. It also doesn't mess with the color on some sites like dark mode in Samsung internet does sometimes. Dark Reader, Bitwarden support, and uBlock are the main reasons why I use Firefox now on Android, it is a great experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: HouseLannister

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Outside of my phone, I use Windows at work and Windows at home for gaming. I have a 12.9" iPad Pro M1 for tinkering in front of the TV and an older iPad Air upstairs for reading comics and listening to podcasts in bed. I have used MacOS off and on for years, but it never clicked for me. For apps, I try to pick products from developers that are cross-platform and services that are web-based and platform independent. I don't have a lot of loyalty to Apple. On my iPhone, I did not use Apple's Mail, Calendar, Calculator, Weather, etc. apps. Almost every app on my phone was a 3rd party, making switching to Android pretty easy. This might not be the case for you, so don't take this as advice on how great the bright green grass is over here. I like it, but you might not.
Yes this makes switching very easy but you weren't using much of the Apple ecosystem thus handicapping your experience. It's like saying you had a supercar but never took it out of first gear so switching to a hybrid wasn't an issue. I mean everyone has to decide what they like but one of the biggest advantages of Apple products is how they integrate with each other in stock format. Sure you can replicate some of the features in other products but it requires doing stuff.

Hardware

The iPhone mini is one of the narrowest phones you can get. If you primarily use you phone with one hand and need to reach everything on the screen, this is the perfect form factor. Unfortunately, it’s also a dead end since Apple has no plans on making mini phones anymore. There is still hope that the next SE will keep a small form factor, but rumors don’t agree and last I heard it was going to be XR size, so not very small. We will have to wait and see. A naked mini is just 5 oz, and it doesn’t really need a case since you will always have a good grip on it unlike a big phablet.

The S23 is a bit wider, being about the same size and weight as an iPhone 13/14. It’s also one ounce heavier than the mini. Not a big difference, but it is manageable with one hand. This is getting in the range of where I might want a case, so that is another ounce or so for that. The S23+ and Ultra are definitely two-handed phones and I would not use one without a case.
Isn't the S23 more comparable with the regular sized iPhone rather than the mini? I have the larger size iPhone but really thinking of downsizing next time.

Battery life on the S23 is incredible.
Compared to the mini I would expect it to be. I hear they have terrible battery life compared to even the regular iPhone. As in not getting through an entire day bad. That's my judgement of good battery life. I don't care how long it lasts but it must not die during my day. I'm glad to see the new S23 is good with that.

I am not going to do a full camera review, as I don’t use my camera for much. I manage a retail store, so most of my camera shots are UPCs for missing price tags or things I need to reorder. A few shots of damaged things that I should get fixed or replaced. Nothing that important. It’s just a way for me to take notes. The one thing I will mention is that the iPhone 13 mini does a horrible job on getting UPC codes in focus unless you back the phone way up and then you need to pinch and zoom to be able to read it, but the S23 does a great job at the close-up photos. The S23 takes good photos in other situations too, but I just don’t use it enough to compare the two.
My question is how is the camera speed. I mean the time it takes to open the camera app to capturing the photo. I had an android phone ages ago and I hated that by the time I clicked the button the shot was gone. I hear some people complain about this now but not as much. I like that the iPhone is instant. My work phone is android but I haven't tested the camera. Maybe I need to check it out.

Security

Now let’s talk about biometrics. My iPhone will unlock successfully most of the time with FaceID. It doesn’t matter if I am wearing sunglasses or a hat. It doesn’t care if I have grown my beard out or just shaved. The only time I have issues is when I am holding the phone too far from my face. I have great vision and just have a habit of holding the phone too far away. My fault, not Apple’s.

The gripe I have with FaceID is the animation. It’s a solid second and it adds up fast. (I feel it was even slower on the dynamic island animation, but I have not timed it.) Tons of apps use FaceID and lots of websites need FaceID to let me use Bitwarden, my password manager. The little FaceID animation is something I see at least 30 times a day. It is always accurate, but it starts to get annoying and make the phone feel slower when you are seeing that animation ALL THE TIME.
I think Apple overdoes the slow animations. It artifically makes things feel slower and I don't know why they do it. They really need to speed them up!

However, on my S23, the fingerprint unlock has its own issues. Ultrasonic fingerprint is supposed to be faster than in-display, and the unlock is fast when it happens. It just doesn’t always happen when I expect it to. The screen is supposed to wake when I lift up the phone, but that is not consistent. So I put my finger where the fingerprint is supposed to go instead of double-tap to wake and then seek the sensor sweet spot. This usually works, but sometimes my finger is off center. I could use always-on display so I know where the fingerprint sensor is, but there is a battery impact. Muscle memory has improved this over the past couple weeks, so only getting occasional failures.
Does the fingerprint work with wet or dirty hands? That's my gripe about fingerprint readers I've used is how if you have anything on your hands it will fail. I don't mean my hands covered in mud obviously but something like condensation from holding a soda or maybe I just washed my hands. I've never had anything with the ultrasonic reader so maybe that is better.

There is also face unlock on my S23, but don’t confuse this with the IR-magic that is FaceID because it only works when I am at work with bright white LED lighting everywhere. At home, a dim warm corner lamp just causes my S23 to fail constantly. Just not enough light in most of my rooms. This feature is practically useless for me and I just turn it off.
I don't think face unlock on android is very secure. I don't know if it's been improved on the S23 but I have an older Samsung phone (Maybe 2021?) and it warns me about this.

But if you don’t like biometric unlocks, don’t forget the S23 has Smart Lock too. You can put in an address or two and make sure your phone is always unlocked at those locations. This does mean a battery impact for some constant GPS activity, I’m sure, so I have only played with it briefly. It’s nice to have the option, but might not be for me.
I don't like this feature because that means when you are at these locations your phone is always unlocked. It doesn't know who's holding it. I guess for home it might be sort of okay but I wouldn't use it at work. Of course this is just me and maybe others might not feel the need for such tight security. I have friends that don't have any type of lock on their phone and that just blows my mind but it works for them.

Notifications

Okta is an app I need daily to check my work email, approve timecards, access things off our intranet, etc. I go to the site I want (e.g. outlook.office.com) and sign in with my work account. Then Okta gives me a notification asking me to confirm it was me, so I tap on the notification to go to the Okta app, confirm the activity, and then swipe back to Safari. On Android, the notification is interactive. It asks if it was me, I click yes from the notification, and I never leave my web browser. This feature alone is a game-changer for my day.
Is that just for the one app or are other apps like this? I can see how that would be annoying.

Internet

I think web browsing will change soon on iPhone. Right now all browsers are basically reskinned Safari but the EU is looking into this and I think it's going to be interesting. Before someone says it my explanation was a stupid oversimplification.

Calendar and Mail

Weird that Google Calendar and Gmail apps on iOS are better than Android, but it’s true. Google recently revamped settings on Gmail for iOS and it is clean and easy to find things. Android still has the pre-2022 Gmail settings. Not bad, but it is behind. Google Calendar is the big disappointment on Android for me. Ever since Material You started with Android 12, dark mode on Google Calendar is an eyesore. The pastel events with the black text changed to bright neon colors with white text. You can play with the colors and find a few that do black text still (e.g. wisteria and banana), but most are painful to read. The Google Calendar web experience allows you to specify classic colors, giving me the same black text that iOS does, but the Android app does not respect that preference. After trying a few 3rd party calendar apps, I settled on Digical. It offers a high contrast option that makes it far more legible.
I've heard this about Instagram as well. I wonder if it's easier to make a good app on iOS. I use Calendar 5 because I can't stand the iOS dot calendar. I want to see my events on the month view!

Podcasts

For podcasts, I never liked Overcast’s layout and was already a lifetime pro Pocket Casts user, so I just stayed with Pocket Casts on Android. It looks the same, syncs with my iPad and the web, and gives me zero headaches. 538 days of listening since July 2016 according to my stats page.
I love Overcast but to be fair I've never tried others except the default Apple podcast app.

Weather

I miss Dark Sky on iOS. The iOS weather app is great, but it is too colorful and I just want a simple look. Today Weather on Android is awesome. All the data and I can turn off the pictures and radar and just get white text on a black background. It’s a basic look I love but with a ton of info. Great app.
Same here. Dark Sky was awesome. The default weather app is okay (but not great) and it's what I use now. I don't mess with 3rd party weather apps because of the GPS tracking. If they want to track me I feel I should at least get paid for it.

Launcher

Springboard on iOS is old and kind of ugly.
I agree... There's no getting around that and the customization on android in this area is far superior.

Automotive Experience

My car supports CarPlay and Android Auto wirelessly, so I have had a lot of experience with both.

CarPlay is pretty basic, but works well. App layout is forced alphabetical and no option to remove apps, so the screen is crowded with some apps I would never use.

Android Auto is wonderful though. It provides split-screen navigation with media playback and your most recent text all on the same screen. It switches between apps smoothly, allows you to customize the order of apps on the homescreen or remove some entirely, and is quite a bit snappier than CarPlay.
My car doesn't have CarPlay but I had a rental and was able to have navigation and music on the same screen. I don't know about texts though. It was only for a few days. Also it made my phone screen inactive so that was annoying but maybe a setting I could have changed.

I hope you enjoy your new Samsung phone. If I was going to go Android I think I would go with Pixel or Huawei if it ever becomes available in the USA.

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2021
Isn't the S23 more comparable with the regular sized iPhone rather than the mini? I have the larger size iPhone but really thinking of downsizing next time.
Absolutely. I am just comparing the two phones I own. If there were a smaller Android phone, I would have probably gone that way. The Zenfone 9 is slightly smaller, but hardly noticable. The Xperia 5 is narrow but tall. The Z Fold 4 is also nice and narrow, but weighs twice what my mini weighed. I feel I missed out by never getting a Blackberry Android phone when I had the chance to try one, but that lineage is truly dead now.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Absolutely. I am just comparing the two phones I own. If there were a smaller Android phone, I would have probably gone that way. The Zenfone 9 is slightly smaller, but hardly noticable. The Xperia 5 is narrow but tall. The Z Fold 4 is also nice and narrow, but weighs twice what my mini weighed. I feel I missed out by never getting a Blackberry Android phone when I had the chance to try one, but that lineage is truly dead now.
I just mentioned that because it seemed like you were saying it was an improvement going to Samsung vs just an improvement going to a larger phone.

I don’t really small think phones like the mini are going to be sold by mainstream manufacturers. Even Apple tried this and discontinued it after only two years. If that’s not a failure, I’m not sure what is.

Even the customers that say they want a smaller phone are turned off when they find out how bad the battery life is. The problem is at that point they already bought the phone so you have an alienated customer. I know lots of people disagree with this type of comment but sometimes the customer doesn’t know what they want. Most people I know that work customer service will tell you the customer doesn’t know what they want. I can’t think of the brand but there was an android phone where they made it based on everything customers said they wanted. The phone didn’t sell 😂

Battery life is the one thing that makes me second-guess my wanting for a smaller phone but I’m going to try it with my next upgrade. If it’s absolutely terrible I can sell it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
A long-winded talk about my experience switching from iOS to Android

I have used almost every iPhone since the 4 (I think I skipped 11, but I upgrade almost every year). Most recently I downgraded from an iPhone 14 Pro to go back to my iPhone 13 mini because I like small phones. The iPhone 13 mini was mostly perfect for me, but the battery wasn’t lasting all day and the camera wasn’t very good. And Android is always playing with new sizes and form factors, so why not try something new? So I played with the Zenfone 9 for a couple months, debated trying an Xperia 5, and eventually settled on an S23 (the base 6.1” model).

I have dabbled in Android before, but the longest I have ever used one Android phone has been about 9 months. I even worked at Verizon Wireless for three years and was constantly being given free phones, but I always kept going back to an iPhone. Before my going full-time into iPhone, my favorite phones were a Droid 2, Droid X, and Galaxy Nexus. Then a lot of time in the iPhone world passed and I eventually got a Galaxy S8. Liked that phone a lot too. Then a lot more time passed and I got a Pixel 5a, but it was just a summer fling and I got the next iPhone that fall. Played with some other Android phones that belonged to friends, had a couple hand-me-downs, and bought a few just to play with before the return window closed. I always came back to iPhone and I still might, but I am enjoying my S23 so much right now that I needed to share my thoughts.

So here’s my thoughts on the S23 vs iPhone 13 mini and Android 13 vs iOS 16. This is all just my opinion about two phones. You might not agree with me, but I am not asking you to prove me wrong. I am open to feedback though. If you see something important I missed on Android or iOS, let me know and I will try to weigh in with some more thoughts.

Hardware

Battery life on the S23 is incredible. I was worried at first because it is the smaller one and people complained a lot about the S22 battery, but there are no issues with the S23. I get 7 to 8 hours of screen time a day in a mix of cellular and wifi using a mix of GPS navigation, bluetooth audio streaming, internet browsing, and YouTube. I don't play games and I don't load up all my streaming services on my phone, so I am a lightish user. Still, the iPhone 13 mini averaged 3-4 hours screen time, so this is a big improvement. I did make a few changes to maximize the battery that I would recommend to anyone with battery anxiety: turn off RAM Plus, turn off Smart Lock, turn off Always On Display, turn off 5G, set performance mode to light (it's still plenty fast), and turn motion smoothness to standard (60 hz). I already had 5G off on my mini and it only has a 60 hz screen, so it wasn't even a change for me.

Security

So Android has a lot more options. None of them are an Apple-level of JUST WORKS, but you are more likely to find something that fits your needs if you play around with all the choices.

Biometrics in apps on Android is a bit of a mixed bag. Chase on Android has a fingerprint button next to the password box. Tap that and it prompts for a fingerprint on the sensor area, making you lift and place slightly lower and to the left of where you just were. Wells Fargo, however, just prompts for my fingerprint when I open the app. What you experience just depends on developer implementation, so your experience might differ from mine.

Now here’s something you will notice when you flip-flop between these OSes. Due to developer restrictions, I gather, 1Password, Enpass, Bitwarden, etc. operate differently on iOS that their counterparts on other operating systems. On Android, I can set Bitwarden to never lock. Those options just aren’t there on password managers for iOS and I assume that is an Apple restriction. Password managers on iOS will always trigger a FaceID check. I already complained about the constant FaceID animations on my iPhone, but that problem doesn’t happen on an unlocked Android phone. If I am already unlocking my phone, then I do not want Bitwarden to authenticate me ever again. And it works. No more animations or PIN requests. No more asking questions. Furthermore, Firefox on Android allows add-ons and the Bitwarden add-on supports autofill. This means as soon as you visit a website that requires a login, the form is filled and just waiting for you to submit it.

Notifications

Internet

Calendar and Mail

RSS

For RSS, I am an Inoreader user. On iOS, I like Reeder because I can get the full text view without the extra swipe that Inoreader’s own app needs. On Android, I tried Pluma first since it was a pay once for lifetime access. But Pluma had a weird behavior with starring articles, where if I removed the star on Inoreader web, it stayed starred in Pluma. I would also get errors when I tried to refresh my feeds while it was already doing a background refresh. It would recover but you had to wait and refresh again. So I switched to FocusReader, which is very nice but is an annual subscription instead of a pay once app. It’s not a lot of money, so I don’t mind, but might check out other services in a year to see what has changed. Android has a TON of abandoned RSS apps and there are always new ones popping up. Neither of the two apps I have used are as pretty as Reeder, but they both work for my needs.

Podcasts

Weather

Launcher

Springboard on iOS is old and kind of ugly. Some people complain that you can’t leave blank spaces or put apps where you like them, but my arguments are more about function than the cosmetics of the launcher. Since iOS 14’s first beta, I have been submitting feedback tickets on each and every beta through 16.3 to let them know that App Library is the worst layout ever. (Of course, the feedback is ignored, but I persevere.) App Library is just not organized well and it does not let you pick categories or move apps to the correct category when they are sorted poorly. In fact, they can change their folders sometimes on their own when you add or remove apps, as I once didn’t have an Entertainment folder, but once I hit a certain threshold of apps, they moved from Other into a new folder. I have so many Bluetooth accessories with their own apps, but some are under Utilities, some under Entertainment, and some under Health & Fitness. App Library can confuse further by putting an app in multiple places (e.g. Suggestions or Recently Added, in addition to their regular folder). It’s a real mess. So with the functionality of this feature being almost useless, I just swipe down for an alphabetical list every single time. So why is alpha-sort not the default view or a setting to toggle to make it my default?

Another issue with Springboard is you can’t rename apps or hide apps. I have a Soundcore Wakey alarm clock. I use the app twice a year to sync up daylight savings adjustments. I could uninstall the app until the next time I need it, but I would just prefer to hide it so I can only see it when I search for it by name. I also have Reeder on iOS, but hate the name Reeder. Why can’t it say RSS or Feeds? Let me nickname the apps.

Android has a ton of options and each launcher can be customized a lot. I have not used OneUI much, but Good Lock provides a lot of options to make it look the way you want and it fixes both of my complaints with Springboard. However, my love of small phones steered me towards a launcher that would be easy to use one-handed, so Niagra is my Android launcher of choice. It’s lean but clean. Pin a few favorites to the home screen and you can drag your thumb across the edge to get an alpha-sort of everything or swipe up from the bottom to search. It’s very minimal, so might not recommend it for people with tons of apps, but I can find everything quickly and easily.

Niagra’s homepage supports a few widgets. It can show time, weather, next calendar appointment, and a Now Playing screen. Just like notifications, these widgets are far more interactive than iOS widgets. For instance, you can tap on your calendar to see your entire agenda without launching a calendar app.

Niagra also allows you to rename apps and hide apps. Digical suggests you keep Google Calendar installed to fix potential sync issues and I also have Samsung Calendar that I can’t uninstall without a package disabler that might break something. But I can hide them both and the only calendar is Digical. And if I don’t like that name, I can rename it Calendar. Renamed Gmail to Mail, Pocket Casts to Podcasts, and Firefox to Internet. I make my phone bend to my will, not the other way around. That’s the beauty of Android launchers.

Automotive Experience

Interestingly, Siri is faster than Google. This probably has to do with more of the data being processed on device. My daily drive is through residential neighborhoods with tall trees and my signal strength can be a bit weak when moving, but always fine at red lights. Siri can just do more with an intermittent internet connection than Google. Google is a far better assistant however, so your mileage may vary (pun intended).

I love SmartLock, but I don't use location based, as it doesn't seem to work well for me. I use it with Bluetooth devices. So if I'm using my BT buds or in my car, my phone neve auto locks unless it's out of BT range or locking it manually.

I like the FaceID animation for unlocking and ApplePay. But for everything else, it does get old and slightly annoying.

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2021
Continue to learn new things about Android every day. It is definitely an operating system for tinkerers, but also lacks some common sense here and there. I like it a lot, but wish some things were just more intuitive. Of course, I have had similar complaints about iOS here and there. Just wish more developers took the time to think about ease of discovery.

For instance, today I was wondering why I never get a pop-up notification for emails and just a vibrate and menu bar notification. Went to settings, notifications, app notifications. Everything is turned on. Went to Gmail, settings, general, manage notifications. Same screen as before. Now I go to Gmail, settings, my account, manage notifications. There it is! A show as pop-up option in the third place I looked. That took way too long to find.

I also fixed some Bitwarden vault locking issues by long-pressing on the app, going to app info, going to battery settings, and making this app unrestricted for battery usage. That option isn't in the main settings app under battery, though maybe preventing it from deep sleep is the same thing. But I fixed it, so not going to change anymore settings.

I also keep finding new settings. Lots of things that look like an on/off toggle in settings can also be tapped to get to a new sub menu that is completely hidden. Just wish these things were a little more organized and easier to find.

Reactions: ozaz

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I just downloaded FocusReader! I love it. Super clean and minimal. This app finally solves my RSS issue on Android. Thank you!

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Continue to learn new things about Android every day. It is definitely an operating system for tinkerers, but also lacks some common sense here and there. I like it a lot, but wish some things were just more intuitive. Of course, I have had similar complaints about iOS here and there. Just wish more developers took the time to think about ease of discovery.

For instance, today I was wondering why I never get a pop-up notification for emails and just a vibrate and menu bar notification. Went to settings, notifications, app notifications. Everything is turned on. Went to Gmail, settings, general, manage notifications. Same screen as before. Now I go to Gmail, settings, my account, manage notifications. There it is! A show as pop-up option in the third place I looked. That took way too long to find.

I also fixed some Bitwarden vault locking issues by long-pressing on the app, going to app info, going to battery settings, and making this app unrestricted for battery usage. That option isn't in the main settings app under battery, though maybe preventing it from deep sleep is the same thing. But I fixed it, so not going to change anymore settings.

I also keep finding new settings. Lots of things that look like an on/off toggle in settings can also be tapped to get to a new sub menu that is completely hidden. Just wish these things were a little more organized and easier to find.
I think you're thinking of things in terms of iOS' way of doing settings. In Android, the settings for that app, is in that app. You don't leave that app to go to a different part of the phone, just to change the settings for that app.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
I love SmartLock, but I don't use location based, as it doesn't seem to work well for me. I use it with Bluetooth devices. So if I'm using my BT buds or in my car, my phone neve auto locks unless it's out of BT range or locking it manually.

I like the FaceID animation for unlocking and ApplePay. But for everything else, it does get old and slightly annoying.
I find it amazing that simple things like that still haven't made their way to iOS. The smart dialer is another example of that. Being able to just spell out the name of the person you're calling (with the numbers) is so fast. Instead of searching through contacts, you just start dialing. That feature has been around for like a decade and a half, yet for some reason it still hasn't made its way to iOS.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
I find it amazing that simple things like that still haven't made their way to iOS. The smart dialer is another example of that. Being able to just spell out the name of the person you're calling (with the numbers) is so fast. Instead of searching through contacts, you just start dialing. That feature has been around for like a decade and a half, yet for some reason it still hasn't made its way to iOS.

“You’re doing it wrong”

Apple

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Although I agree with you, I can understand why Apple doesn't have it. When making the iPhone, I feel like Apple tried to throw away any old concepts about a mobile phone and start fresh from a computing device perspective. The smart-dialing/T9 was developed due to limitation of hardware keypads in searching an alphabetical list. But when one has the option for full QWERTY keyboard with contacts database, Apple probably saw smart-dialing was "legacy" and ignored it. I remembered Jobs presentation of the original iPhone, and the idea was to call a person from a contact list, bypassing the dialer completely.

Reactions: animalx

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Although I agree with you, I can understand why Apple doesn't have it. When making the iPhone, I feel like Apple tried to throw away any old concepts about a mobile phone and start fresh from a computing device perspective. The smart-dialing/T9 was developed due to limitation of hardware keypads in searching an alphabetical list. But when one has the option for full QWERTY keyboard with contacts database, Apple probably saw smart-dialing was "legacy" and ignored it. I remembered Jobs presentation of the original iPhone, and the idea was to call a person from a contact list, bypassing the dialer completely.
You're probably right. The funny thing about that though is, smart dialing was around in the Windows Mobile days, and so was dialing from your contacts. So to me it doesn't make sense to adopt one, and eschew the other. The times when I had to use the iPhone for work, I absolutely hated having to dial numbers. They had all the company's contacts in it, so scrolling wasn't feasible, and typing took so much more effort. If I'm driving, it's so much easier for me to just press 64 if I'm calling Mike, tap the screen and I'm done. Little things like that add to or take away from the experience. For a phone they claim to be so polished, I'd expect it to have basic functionality like that.

Reactions: daveathall

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
You're probably right. The funny thing about that though is, smart dialing was around in the Windows Mobile days, and so was dialing from your contacts. So to me it doesn't make sense to adopt one, and eschew the other. The times when I had to use the iPhone for work, I absolutely hated having to dial numbers. They had all the company's contacts in it, so scrolling wasn't feasible, and typing took so much more effort. If I'm driving, it's so much easier for me to just press 64 if I'm calling Mike, tap the screen and I'm done. Little things like that add to or take away from the experience. For a phone they claim to be so polished, I'd expect it to have basic functionality like that.
For the driving thing, Apple’s answer is to use Siri.

There are a lot of interesting choice that Apple took, such as the limited number of recent call list (which shouldn’t have any limitation for a smartphone with hundreds of gigabytes of storage).

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
For the driving thing, Apple’s answer is to use Siri.

There are a lot of interesting choice that Apple took, such as the limited number of recent call list (which shouldn’t have any limitation for a smartphone with hundreds of gigabytes of storage).
Yeah...and Siri was its own source of frustration. Having been accustomed to how good Google Assistant is, using Siri was an exercise in frustration. It was bad to the point I stopped using it.

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2021
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.