Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
I did some time with AirPods Max. They look and feel really nice, and they sound good. That’s where the good stops.

Problems with the AirPods Max:
  • Too heavy. Really heavy. Terrible for headphones. Extended listening sucks and it’s hard not to feel these on at all times because of their weight.
  • Cold. Damn. Really cold. Terrible choice of material making these out of metal like this.
  • The top bra is too fragile and not really functional. I get why they did it: because the thing is so big and heavy they tried to compensate for it on the top of the head. I believe I would rip/damage this mesh fairly quickly.
In the end I will keep my Bose QuietComfort earbuds and use them for everything. I thought a larger quality headphone would be good for at home listening… the Bose are pretty amazing and weigh almost nothing and are small.

If I was to buy larger over the ear headphones, I would buy Bose or Sony. Much better design.

My conclusion is that the AirPods Max have a flawed design and for that reason I won’t buy them.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
No comment on how they sound?

High end cans are often heavier and made of metal for durability. The weight isn't a problem if they fit your head well. And that is going to vary from person to person.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I agree with you OP

Great sound that is hampered by seeming "over design" on the materials in efforts to make them TURBO PREMIUM.

In reality they are too heavy, with too much clamp force.

Apple is amazing with plastics. I would love for their take on this product with an emphasis on getting the weight down and comfort up.

Say what we want about Bose, but their QC 35/45's are pure heaven on the head.

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
All of our heads and ears are unique! These are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. Do I wish they were a little lighter, sure. Do I prefer wearing Sony or Bose, definitely not. AirPods Pro are amazing, but they do not work for my ears at all.

It's OK to not like a product, even an Apple one. It doesn't mean it is bad, it's just not for you.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
These are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.

I'm jealous!

Differences aside, less weight would still be better.

Heavy headphones are much more prone to shifting if your head moves or the angle changes (can come right off if not careful and you look down, etc), particularly if you don't have very short hair. Longer hair makes it much easier for heavy headphones to slide on the top

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
Yeah, I don’t know how people walk with them. Just moving around my apartment is enough to realize the weight. However, I put them on when I really want to sit and get into music or watch shows/movies in Spatial Audio.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
OP you are commenting on headphones that you didn't even buy and don't own?

Last edited:

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I gave up with using bluetooth headphones at home, and went back to the old fashioned wired style.

Philips Fidelio (X2HR/00). Not good if you wanted to isolate the sound (they're open-air), but that's not something I need and they sound amazing

Reactions: turbineseaplane

foggygray

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2021
I find them to be fairly comfortable. Not as comfortable as my wired Beyerdynamics but not too bad. Yeah they're heavy but the clamping force isn't too bad and they don't bother me as a glasses wearer.

Now if you want to talk about uncomfortable give some Grados a try.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I find them to be fairly comfortable. Not as comfortable as my wired Beyerdynamics but not too bad. Yeah they're heavy but the clamping force isn't too bad and they don't bother me as a glasses wearer.

Now if you want to talk about uncomfortable give some Grados a try.

This is all fair -- I just feel like, with how they are priced at MSRP, they shouldn't be so subjectively compromised.

I'm glad some people love them -- but the sheer amount who don't and who try and return -- it all adds up to a disappointing product overall that is very likely headed the way of the HomePod.

So much about the APM reminds me of the HomePods actually.
Extremely niche target market and pricing to match with some odd design and functionality choices

Reactions: booksbooks

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
No comment on how they sound?

High end cans are often heavier and made of metal for durability. The weight isn't a problem if they fit your head well. And that is going to vary from person to person.
I said in my original post they sound good. No doubt about that.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
The problem with the Bose and Sony cans is that they are made out of plastic which makes that annoying plastic-squeak noise every time you turn your head or adjust the fit.

Once you've heard it, you can't un-hear it.
I've had three versions of the Sony headphones and none has ever squeaked. I love the WH-1000XM4. Super comfortable with excellent noise cancelation.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
Two hours is definitely not enough time to get used to them… I’ve had them a year now and they are my default for virtually every activity - despite being over the ear. Of course we’re all different so perhaps they’re too heavy for you, but I wear them for hours at a time and don’t have any issue. No issue with durability of the ‘bra’ either after a year. I can agree on the coldness, though they warm up fine for me

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I'm glad they work for some folks, and you guys are happy and loving them!
That's great!

It's also hard to imagine they aren't falling a bit short of Apple expectations though, also.
They are routinely on pretty large discounts nowadays (vs MSRP), and that started well before even being a year old.

They sound wonderful -- I just wish they'd revise them and try again (rather than just cancelling them after stagnating for a few years - Ala the HomePod route)

Reactions: ouimetnick
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.