Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Microsoft, Google and Samsung offer varying levels of services. One can make a point those that don't are more focused on providing a specific product, rather then being distracted by other non-core services. Apple sees the future on services, they want you to buy the hardware and hook you on the services.

When my mom's MacBook Air had a problem a couple of weeks after the warranty expired, she went to the Apple Store and they fixed her computer for free. I bet you can guess which brand she chose when she wanted a smartwatch.

The attitude of Apple wanting to "hook" people on the services misses the point. Some of Apple's customers aren't expert, know-it-alls and appreciate the customer service.

The stores actually offer an experience that hasn't really been replicated by anyone.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Meanwhile tbh it all makes me consider a refurb 2017 if I have to replace my 2012 MBP.

The 2017 MBP has the major keyboard faults of which the 2018 MBP somewhat fixed.

Many people recommend getting a 2015 MBP which has a good keyboard and no T2 chip.

I'm hoping that the 2019 MBP will have a T3 chip which will fix all the issues with the T2.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The 2017 MBP has the major keyboard faults of which the 2018 MBP somewhat fixed.

Many people recommend getting a 2015 MBP which has a good keyboard and no T2 chip.

I'm hoping that the 2019 MBP will have a T3 chip which will fix all the issues with the T2.

Thanks for that heads up, I appreciate it. I'm hoping my 2012 will hold up ok awhile yet anyway, it's still under AppleCare+ another year since I got it as an Apple-refurb in 2016. But since I liked that model so much (I'm on the third one), I haven't kept up with later options, of which there are also assorted model/years offered as refurbs.

Keyboards, yah.. i got a problem w/ the 2012 kb right now, been using a wireless while stalling out on the idea of shipping it out to get replaced. Time to get on that before the FedEx guy delivering the box ends up in another early nor'easter.

Anyway with a little luck I'll end up buying a 2019 only after it hits refurb-availability!

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Apple charges premium pricing for the premium product that often pushes boundaries of technology. Despite numerous snafus with hardware and software, their ecosystem is unmatched and their products are still more polished and easier to use than competition. Their warranty and post warranty support is fantastic. Unfortunately, corporate pressure pushes Apple to keep rising prices but most people I know are now willing to use older products to alleviate Apple tax and get well made device that just works. Hopefully, their high R&D budget and top engineering talent will help to bring more products that are truly innovative and joy to use.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.