Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterto11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
I have a very strange problem with hey siri. I can't complete the setup with my voice. I bought an m1 macbook pro last year and when i try to setup hey siri, it kept saying "i didn't quite catch that please try again". I recently got an iphone 13 pro and i have the same problem. I tried saying "hey siri" in different accents, voice pitch, outdoors, indoors no matter how much i try it does not understand me. I got my parents and 2 friends to try, and they all complete the setup with ease on my devices. Even the voice from google translate has no problems. I have also tried using my voice to setup hey siri on a friends iphone and macbook because i thought my apple id might have problems?.But no. I can't complete the hey siri setup on his devices also. The problem is my voice. But when i manually trigger from the power button siri understands every single word. I can request songs, i ask it to tell jokes, i ask about the weather or to control my homekit devices and it understands me every time. On my iphone and on my mac. I cant figure out what the problem is.

Hey siri setup doesn't understand me on my mac
Hey siri setup doesn't understand me on my iphone
Siri understands me perfectly when triggered manually

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
It looks like it understood when you say “hey” so it activated but when you say the Siri part it doesn’t pick up on your accent. Basically, it thinks you were going to talk to it but when it doesn’t pickup on Siri it deactivates.

When triggering Siri manually you don’t need to say “hey Siri” so it understands the sentence you asked (tell me a joke) which is why that works.

Bottom line, it doesn’t understand how you pronounce Siri so either stick with manually activating it (no need to say “hey siri” when doing this) or practice enunciating the word Siri.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have a very strange problem with hey siri. I can't complete the setup with my voice. I bought an m1 macbook pro last year and when i try to setup hey siri, it kept saying "i didn't quite catch that please try again". I recently got an iphone 13 pro and i have the same problem. I tried saying "hey siri" in different accents, voice pitch, outdoors, indoors no matter how much i try it does not understand me. I got my parents and 2 friends to try, and they all complete the setup with ease on my devices. Even the voice from google translate has no problems. I have also tried using my voice to setup hey siri on a friends iphone and macbook because i thought my apple id might have problems?.But no. I can't complete the hey siri setup on his devices also. The problem is my voice. But when i manually trigger from the power button siri understands every single word. I can request songs, i ask it to tell jokes, i ask about the weather or to control my homekit devices and it understands me every time. On my iphone and on my mac. I cant figure out what the problem is.

Hey siri setup doesn't understand me on my mac
Hey siri setup doesn't understand me on my iphone
Siri understands me perfectly when triggered manually

So after watching your videos, there definitely is a slight language barrier the way you’re pronouncing the words, which is causing Siri not to invoke action based off what you’re requesting.

I would try to annunciate your words as clearly, slowly and concisely as you can, which might take some practice, but you’ll find the results will be a lot better, being that there is some issues with your tone and delivery with your dialect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.