Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I have been working with computers since the early 1980s and started tinkering around web design/development since around Oct 3, 1999 when I create my first web page. I have made all the types of mistakes a person can think of when it comes to creating a web page and I think the first mistake was using Frontpage. My biggest fiasco was create a website completely out of Adobe's Flash after I took 2 or 3 college courses in Flash. Talk about a stupid move, but it's true that people learn from their mistakes. Though in my defense I really did take web design & development seriously until around 2009/2010.
I was laid off from my job as a Shader (color matcher) for an automotive paint manufacturer, so I decided to go back to college where I earned an Associates Degree in Computer Graphics. I took a bunch of website courses in college after earning my degree to buster my knowledge on the web. Though the one regret was learning jQuery better than Vanilla Javascript in college as the instructor was a big fan of jQuery. After that I decided to teach myself PHP which I have become pretty good at. During that time my hobby of Photography took a serious turn and I am trying to go professional with that profession as well has Web Design and Development.
I have created an online trivia game https://www.miniaturephotographer.com/game.php that has seen many version over the last 3 or 4 years as it went from jQuery to vanilla javascript. I'm in the process of teaching myself NodeJS and React though it's tough finding more that 24 hours in a day. ? My current version of my website is this -> https://www.miniaturephotographer.com/

It still has a ways to go, but it is the best so far that I have done over the years. I really don't want any online critiques as I have had those in the past and most of the time it has left me feeling negative about my work. Most people are good at critiquing, but it only takes that one person to rip a person's work that ruins it for me. One of my college courses the instructor told me (the class) when you critique another person's work always say some positive things about their work. It seems some people online don't seem to think that is necessary. I can understand if they are doing some stupid like building a website out of Flash. :):):) Don't bother to put the effort into their work. That is what I mean by what I just wrote. I know I have spent hours on designing and developing my website / javascript game, plus I always thinking of ways to improve both of them. Heck, I even dream about code and design when I'm sleeping. It's funny as I sometimes sleep better when I am dreaming about that. ;):D

Reactions: amgff84

NorbertBroaddus

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2020
New York
Hi, @Strider64
I am glad that during your life you have learned many skills. I watched your trivia game, as for me there is not enough interactivity. Now it’s hard to surprise people with ordinary quiz. You also need to work on the site and fill it with more content that will be relevant and unique. Do you have a desire to continue to work with the project? I could help you with the layout of the site or with the content.
BR

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Hi, @Strider64
I am glad that during your life you have learned many skills. I watched your trivia game, as for me there is not enough interactivity. Now it’s hard to surprise people with ordinary quiz. You also need to work on the site and fill it with more content that will be relevant and unique. Do you have a desire to continue to work with the project? I could help you with the layout of the site or with the content.
BR
I been slowly working on the trivia game. I just added a login/registration system that I am going to used for gameplay and I already have a maintenance portion done where questions can be added and edited that should make it easily to add better gameplay. I had a real nice trivia game done in Adobe Flash that was also a Hangman Type game that I did years ago that was actually kind of fun to play though it was limited to only one player as at the time I had a basic knowledge of PHP. Anyways, as I was writing I have the login/registration part and in the process of changing the gameplay, plus I want to add back the responsive CSS back where it is playable on smartphones and tablets. I do have a github repository here : https://github.com/Strider64/Chalkboard-Quiz, so feel free to contribute to the project if you want and I thank you in advance if you do.

With summer months coming I am probably not going to be as active in coding as I'm concentrating on my photography and Michigan is slowly opening back up. I hope it continues to do so as I imagine everyone living here does as well.

NorbertBroaddus

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2020
New York
Hello again. It is very nice to hear an answer from you. I will look at your github and try to study everything in detail. In any case, I would like to share with you some ideas and other suggestions about this subject. I will be glad to be useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.