Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
It's been awhile since I posted my home website. I've taken college courses in HTML & CSS, earned a degree in Graphic design and self-taught myself PHP. I have had so many variations of my website that it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. I could kick myself for not getting into website design and development earlier than I did, but back then I was more interested in building computers and farting around playing video games. It's not the greatest, but I think (I hope) it's better than my earlier post here at MacRumors. It's still a work-in-progress, but it's much further along than it's has ever been. It's responsive and has graceful degradation so that it will work if someone disables javascript (Hopefully :oops:) Here's the link: https://www.pepster.com/index and I have even have a Github repository of my website: https://github.com/Strider64/Slice-of-Technology

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
It's been awhile since I posted my home website...
First, great job in learning... it seems the more I learn with web applications the more I do not know!

Couple of things that popped out at me:
1) The background does not scale across entire width of display. Try looking at it with a 5K monitor, you get something like this:
Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 9.31.21 PM.png

2) When changing browser width manually, going from 3/4 screen width to 1/2 screen width there is a 'pop' as the media queries take over ( responsive design ). I would just transition the elements from the main to vertical instead of two horizontal and use CSS transitions to make it 'slide' instead of pop... keeps from disorienting the user.
responsivepop.jpg

3) The calendar elements overflow in smaller media formats... like portrait phone viewing.
calendar.jpg

Great job and I know it is tons of hard work. Web developers are truly under appreciated!

PS. Ahhh the good old days of BBS's, Wildcat! was the bomb! Still can hear my hard drives clicking from the next room back in the day! Back when I started college in 1990 we had to manually dial in for classes. I built am autodialer and had a huge party while everyone waited for the dialer to interrupt the music, letting us know it got through. Too much fun!

PPS. If you need a little happiness, come on down to Destin. I'll treat you to the best shandy in the world. No kidding, we have a home town brewer that puts up Rochefort level beer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.