Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
The house I've been renting has ethernet, phone, and cable ports in every bedroom and a couple other rooms. Our house has wireless but I have a 360 in my room and would love to have it wired in for Xbox Live.

So I was wondering if there was some easy way to have all the ports in the house have ethernet that was standard in these situations. That way I don't have to move the router or buy a wireless adapter. ;)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Find out where the other end of the ports go. Probably somewhere in the basement there will be a patch panel. Find the port down there that corresponds to the port you want to use, plug that into the router with a short piece of CAT5, and you should be set.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Find out where the other end of the ports go. Probably somewhere in the basement there will be a patch panel. Find the port down there that corresponds to the port you want to use, plug that into the router with a short piece of CAT5, and you should be set.

Or plug the patch cord from the jack that goes to your room into the jack that goes to where the router is. Then use another patch cord from that jack and put it into one of the LAN ports on the router.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I have the same setup in my house. Like 'notjustjay' said, you need to find where the internet is coming into the house - in mine I have a central box in my master bedroom closet where my satellite, phone, and internet come in. There are cables from each room (CAT5) that are labeled. Right now I only have my office enabled so the office cable plugs directly into the incoming cable - but I plan to throw a switch or something on there later to get the other rooms going. Then I have my modem connected to the port in the office and then go from there.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Server (such as powermac) with all files in basement.

Use CAT5e (not just cat5) cable or better for gigabit ethernet, and you can stream files / movies from the server.

hmmfe

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2003
Find the point where all the cabling terminates (sometimes in a patch panel, but in residential wiring sometimes not) then buy a switch with enough ports to connect each of the runs. Now all of your ports are active everywhere in your house and you can plug your router, Xbox, ip enabled toothbrush, etc. where ever you want. Of course your router will need to be located somewhere near your service demarc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.