Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
I'm realy hopefull that the new intel ibooks will now come with a line in input for the soundcard and it would also be nice if the soundcard itself was upgraded to 24bit from 16bit athough I doubt that apple would do that since they will probably want to make that a feature for the pb only. Then I hope they use a faster hard drive in them preferably 5400rpm instead of the slow 4200 now. A DVI port on the ibook would also be nice but not as inportant ;)

Oh well only time will tell me impatiently waits untill the big event next month to see what happens :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My hopes.

1 - A faster processor obviously, but not a stripped down one like the Celeron M. They Suck.
2 - 5400 RPM drive minimum with 60gb min size
3 - Seperate GFX card with its own memory and not an onboard Intel option (although seeing as though devloper macs use onboard intel 915 gfx, I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the ibook).
4 - A reduced price all round, but again I doubt the price will fall by that much
5 - Superdrive standard. In a year or two it wil all be about HD-DVD & BluRay, to not have a DVD R burner as standard is just mean.
6 - Improved displays with higher resolution - not the ones from the new 15" PB's though.

I think essentially and spec wise we can expect the new ibooks to be similar to budget pc laptops, but with a larger price tag.

grizzlybrice

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Playa Del Rey, CA
With the current trends from Apple, I wouldn't be surprised to see either a black finish on the the iBook or Powerbooks. Go back to the good ol' tuxedo days.

B

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Ok given the fact I have no idea what intel has this is what I would want for my iBooks

2.0GhZ Intel Pentium M
512MB Ram
60GB 5400 RPM Hard Disk
Superdrive
64 MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200
Airport EX,Bluetooth 2.0
USB 2.0 Firewire 400
Built in iSight
IR for Apple Remote and Frontrow

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
MacRumorUser said:
My hopes.

1 - A faster processor obviously, but not a stripped down one like the Celeron M. They Suck.
2 - 5400 RPM drive minimum with 60gb min size
3 - Seperate GFX card with its own memory and not an onboard Intel option (although seeing as though devloper macs use onboard intel 915 gfx, I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the ibook).
4 - A reduced price all round, but again I doubt the price will fall by that much
5 - Superdrive standard. In a year or two it wil all be about HD-DVD & BluRay, to not have a DVD R burner as standard is just mean.
6 - Improved displays with higher resolution - not the ones from the new 15" PB's though.

I think essentially and spec wise we can expect the new ibooks to be similar to budget pc laptops, but with a larger price tag.

You just named the specs for a PB :)

Well, I don't think Celeron Ms suck as much as users purport them to be. They are still very capable chips, definitely compariable to the G4s we have right now for some applications.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
*1" thin
*SuperLight
*13" widescreen or larger
*DVD+R/RW drive standard
*updated graphics card
*Auto-on technology
*6+ hour battery life

That's about all I want. Anything else is just a nice addition

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
I should add beter battery life then current ibook offerings and of course beter performance from the cpu.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
A lot of people seem to be listing thing that are in the PB range.

I dont really follow intel stuff so i have no idea what they would use in the iBooks and PB but...

ibook:
1. i would like to see widecreen (12in and 14in)
2. dvd would be nice all around (not DL)
3. pentium m about same speed as now (maybe 1.4 and 1.5)
4. not integrated graphics and 64MB all around
5. maybe a price drop but not nessecary.
6. better battery life

PB:
1. a 13in widscreen version
2. DVD DL all around
3. pentium m (maybe dual core, and at about 1.7 and 1.9 <--for single core)
4. again no integrated graphics and 128 all around
5. maybe a price drop
6. better battery life

As i said i dont really know what intel offers so these might be way off.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Cooknn said:
My wish - A Mighty Mouse style Trackpad so I can right click and left click if I choose to ;)

i cringe at any mention of the mighty mouse. worst mouse i've ever bought. i'm a bit more form over function, but when there is no more function... -.- paperweight.

i'd like to see, in order of importance:
1) vastly improved battery life
2) higher resolution
3) widescreen
4) improved form factor
5) backlighted keyboard
6) no built-in ram

i don't really see too much of a need for a better graphics card or significantly faster processors. the usability's great. i just want to be able to use it longer, get some more real estate, and then enjoy some perks. (thinner form factor, backlighted keyboard...)

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I doubt we will see a backlit keyboard on the iBook anytime soon the 12 inch Powerbook does not even include it as of yet. Same with the higher res. screens. And i dont think the clock speed on any of these new rumored intel Macs will exceed 2 GhZ

Mikael

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden
generik said:
Well, I don't think Celeron Ms suck as much as users purport them to be. They are still very capable chips, definitely compariable to the G4s we have right now for some applications.
People seem to just throw around "Celeron sucks!", just because they think Celeron is supposed to suck. Fact is that the Celeron M is the same CPU as the Pentium M Dothan, with the only differences being 1MB L2 cache instead of 2MB and no frequency throttling. So, naturally, the performance of the Celeron M is very good and in many tasks it will be more or less indentical to the Pentium M (since cache doesn't critically affect performance in many programs).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.