Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fury88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Hi all,

Just got finished flashing my Mac Pro 5,1 and following all the directions in large MyBootMgr thread. Awesome, so thank you for that! FYI I'm running the 067a release so I don't know if thats the latest or not.

Everything works great except neither Innie, nor ACHI_ThirdParty_SATA work and when I manually edit the plist file, reboot, and select OpenCore it just switches to the blank gray boot screen and doesn't move. I can only assume that I didn't do something right but I don't know what. Not sure where to go from here. Though, one question, when I open the config.plist and find the DeviceProperties the Add and Delete have no entries. Should there be other drives in there? I have two other standard SATA drives.

Machine is running Mojave
3.33Ghz 6-core
24 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 680
2TB nVME, 2x3TB SATA 7200 RPM

-MF

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Sorry, tried to keep the MyBootMgr thread small and focused but ended up being branded a "waster of everybody's time".

Anyway, the two kexts for having drives identify as internal are just for convenience and are not guaranteed to work. There are instructions in the guide on how to update the Device Properties section which is the proper way to do this.

Once you have Device Properties set up, you can use the WrangleConfig tool to automate updating it in future.

fury88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Sorry, tried to keep the MyBootMgr thread small and focused but ended up being branded a "waster of everybody's time".

Anyway, the two kexts for having drives identify as internal are just for convenience and are not guaranteed to work. There are instructions in the guide on how to update the Device Properties section which is the proper way to do this.

Once you have Device Properties set up, you can use the WrangleConfig tool to automate updating it in future.
No, you’re good! I thought I saw the thread that I should open a new one because that one was so large LOL

actually, I followed your directions to a T. The manual edit did not work either. I would assume that ALL PCI-e cards are supported or is that a bad assumption. BTW: I had this working with Innie before the use of OpenCore but when I ran the tools it told me to get rid of it. Hah.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Well, if Innie was working before, it should continue to work with OC.
The Device Properties thing should work with every card AFAIK. Might be something else is the matter.

Yeah, asks to remove to avoid a conflict.
You can always not select it in MyBootMgr and reinstall manually if that works for you.
I am half inclined to drop the two kexts and leave to users to sort out manually as they want.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
I am half inclined to drop the two kexts and leave to users to sort out manually as they want.
Version 068 will not require that users disable innie when it is already present.
So you can revert to your manual implementation and will not have issues on this going forward.

Last edited:

fury88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Version 068 will not require that users disable innie when it is already present.
So you can revert to your manual implementation and will not have issues on this going forward.
? I’ll try moving back manually this morning. I was going to paste my config.plist section to verify it looks right. Maybe I’m doing the manual part wrong.
Will the 068 version be at your same site?

Reactions: Dayo

fury88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
? I’ll try moving back manually this morning. I was going to paste my config.plist section to verify it looks right. Maybe I’m doing the manual part wrong.
Will the 068 version be at your same site?
Hmm so it appears now that I’m having a problem regardless of Innie or not. I may have hosed something. Odd though, it did boot the very first time into OpenCore. Now it just freezes at Watchdog=1 and screen goes gray. I tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling but the same problem. Not sure if it cleared everything out fully or not. Didn’t look like the EFI drive was erased. Continuing to play with it!

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
I don't see it that way at all. You've been very patient and helpful in my opinion.
Hmm so it appears now that I’m having a problem regardless of Innie or not. I may have hosed something. Odd though, it did boot the very first time into OpenCore. Now it just freezes at Watchdog=1 and screen goes gray. I tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling but the same problem. Not sure if it cleared everything out fully or not. Didn’t look like the EFI drive was erased. Continuing to play with it!
Try an NVRAM deep clean followed by resetting SMC. After, boot into your vanilla OS and look at each drive's EFI partition. If anything's there, delete it. Once satisfied everything's gone, rerun ConfigFactory and try again.

Personally, I use AHCI rather than Innie because it works better with Big Sur but if you're sticking with Catalina or older, Innie should work fine with PCIe drives.

WhiteLighter78

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2023
Hi everyone, as someone who's recently been spending HOURS and HOURS on a new (used) MacPro 5,1 (mid-2010) with Opencore Legacy Patcher, testing and trying different configurations especially for dual-booting, I found a solution at least for me. When I realized the SATA ports internally were SATA2, and a bit of googling led me to OWC Accelsior S PCIe SATA3 cards, I was like oooh sweet, give me 2 of those! $37CDN not bad I think. Well thinking this was going to be easy, hehe, I just disconnected the already booting Mac monterey/Windows bootcamp drive and hooked it up to the OWC. After a bit of a delay, she picked it up and booted. Well, MacOS booted. Windows would not boot anymore. gave couldn't find boot device. I didn't know why it was being detected as external. but after hours of trying this and that, I noticed when I re-built and installed the OCLP again, lo and behold there was something difference under device properties. and once I rebooted, then the drives showed as internal. So opencore must scan the computer and add things for you. It added a PCIRoot(0x0)blablabla thingy with "built-in" underneath numerical 1. That problem solved. Bootcamp still no go. Then I found I needed a little program called OWC dual boot enabler. Installed that and bam windows booted fine. So TL:dr figure out your device's PCIroot info and put built-in and name it number and enter 1, or let OCLP do it for you. Hope this helps anyone struggling to figure this out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.