Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purplepalace205

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2024
Somewhere in Canada
I have a Mid 2011 iMac that is displaying weird graphics behaviour. Any guidance would be appreciated. This usually happens at the start of the work day and dissipates through the day.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
What version of Mac OS on your 2011 iMac? Can you post some specifications of your iMac?

purplepalace205

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2024
Somewhere in Canada
Sure. Here's some deets: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5.... 16GB ram, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB OS 10.13.6 High Sierra.
Other than this annoying graphics issue the machine sings along. I'm a photographer shooting for commercial jobs, so I kind of need a properly functioning system.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
so I kind of need a properly functioning system.
You are going to have to replace the GPU as it is starting to fail. Next stop on this train will be a black screen.

Here is thread discussing upgrading GPU to newer compatible GPU.

purplepalace205

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2024
Somewhere in Canada
This helps me with my decision to swap this machine for a modern Mac Mini as I have zero interest in fixing anything that is essentially outdated. I'll probably pull the 1TB SSD drive and recycle the rest the machine. I paid only $700 for it about 6 years ago, so I'm not overly concerned over the expense.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
This helps me with my decision to swap this machine for a modern Mac Mini
Big jump from Intel 2011 to M2 2023 Macs. Make sure your crucial software has updates compatible with macOS Sonoma before you pull the trigger. It’s not just the cost of a new Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.