Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Okay, Panther gave me a new preference pane...I don't think this was supposed to happen:

Attachments

• picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 902

Taavi

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
what does show control in menu bar give you? (screenshots if you would please, this is interesting)

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Interesting. I haven't ever seen anything like this on the rest of the net.

I'd say you should contact Apple and ask if it's a feature or a bug.

Dan

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by Taavi
what does show control in menu bar give you? (screenshots if you would please, this is interesting)

Absolutely nothing.

Also, I can apparently use the menu by L2 Cache to turn the L2 Cache on and off. I keep turning it on, but it just goes back off!

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Some more info: I upgraded over 10.2.8 (the second release) on a 15" PowerBook G4 Aluminum, 1.25 GHz processor (although the Hardware preference pane tells me they cheated me out of 50 MHz; those bastards!), stock except a slight change in RAM configuration.

Also, I think this just mysteriously appeared after awhile!

Taavi

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
If your want to delete it go to Computer/(Hard drive)/System/Library/preferencepanes/ and look for something saying hardware.

I'd take a screen shot of it and send a bug report to apple just for good measure too.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
I was perplexed when it appeared for me, too, but then I remembered that I has just installed the Developer CD and had checked the CHUD Tools option. I'll bet it's part of that.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by bankshot
I was perplexed when it appeared for me, too, but then I remembered that I has just installed the Developer CD and had checked the CHUD Tools option. I'll bet it's part of that.

Oh, damn, you're right! You're right! That's exactly what I did!

Time to uninstall and reinstall Xcode! (I could just delete the preference pane...but I won't.)

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
That preference pane shows up when you install Xcode Developer's Tools. On my machine, a dual processor Power Mac, it also gives me the option of shutting off one processor. When I shut one off, even in Apple System Profiler it only shows one processor. Interesting stuff.

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 836

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
no, no, no

i remember this being discussed in some of the forums when panther was still being seeded to developers,
it was originally for the g5 and to use or dis-use(??) the daul processorism

i don't know it's late
but it was discussed before (a while ago)

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
nap

Originally posted by macfreek57
no, no, no

i remember this being discussed in some of the forums when panther was still being seeded to developers,
it was originally for the g5 and to use or dis-use(??) the daul processorism

i don't know it's late
but it was discussed before (a while ago)

You can also use it to turn off "napping", which was causing some sqeaky/cricket noises on some Dual G5s. I remember reading about this on some other thread here, but I can't find the link right now.

...ah here it is:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41217&nap+hardware

Scroll down to the posting by KentuckyApple.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
It's a sign...

The option of switching from dual processor mode to single processor mode may be a sign: Dual Processor PowerBooks coming soon!:D

Just turn off the second processor for improved battery life.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Re: It's a sign...

Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep
The option of switching from dual processor mode to single processor mode may be a sign: Dual Processor PowerBooks coming soon!:D

Or it may be a sign that it already works on dual processor Power Macs.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Re: Re: It's a sign...

Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Or it may be a sign that it already works on dual processor Power Macs.
But what would be the use of turning off the second processor of a Powermac?

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: It's a sign...

Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
It's a part of *developer tools*. Testing and benchmarking, anyone? It is NOT a part of the normal install!
Okay, you have a good point. Well, I'm still hoping for Dual Processor Powerbooks, even though they now seem just as unlikely as before.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Re: Re: It's a sign...

Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep
But what would be the use of turning off the second processor of a Powermac?
Just a wild guess, but maybe it helps sometimes when debugging code. If you are following low-level execution in a multithreaded program, I can imagine it might make the processing more predictable if you allow only a single processor to run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.