Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Completely befuddled.

I have a Seagate 2.5" drive from 2015. I don't know where it's from or how I got it as it's in my drive graveyard.

I'll just give the facts since I am probably starting with even less info than some of you guys have.

1. Disk will not mount. Partitions appear differently depending on OS. In Windows 7, it shows two disks (H and I) and ZERO information as they won't mount. In Monterey, it shows two major partitions (disk4s3 and disk4s4) but the partition diagram (the horizontal bar) is jumbled up in a mess of a dozen sections. In Leopard it shows as about six partitions. Leopard also gives some details as it claims every other partition is for booting Windows in Bootcamp or for booting OS X.

2. The most info I can get about the file structure is that it is GUID, EFI, FAT system.

3. I put the drive into my 4,1 Mac Pro and once it showed two options, "EFI Boot" and "EFI Boot". I shut down afraid to damage any of my internal drives in case things went hay-wire and since then they do not show up.

4. The partitions are an odd size. The drive is 500GB and the partitions are a few in the MB range, one about 400GB, one about 1GB.

Little background: I've dabbled in a lot of booting and boot mods. OpenCoreLP, Bootcamp, creating MacOS Boot partitions for installing, etc. I haven't touched Linux since long before this drive was made.

Any pointers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.