Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PockieLoli :3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Hello,

A few months ago one of my college's Mac Lab acquired a handy little cable. Based off memory, it connects to the school's Mac via Thunderbolt and the other end split into a charger, HDMI, and one other I can't recall at the moment. I've only had a few chances to be in that classroom and use the cable, so my memory is limited.

I've been having trouble finding this cable on my own to purchase, as not every Mac Lab at school has one but it would be a great convenience to have one. I also own a 13" 2009 Macbook (A1181), which has a DVI port for display out -- so if there's one tailored to my model that would be even better. If not I can get a converter for the display port at least.

I was thinking maybe my memory is tricking me and the the cable didn't actually split into three separate connections. Perhaps the three connections were actually three separate cables wrapped together to seem like it belonged to one. But I remember specifically checking to see that all three connections were indeed connected to the school's Mac by a single port. Several classmates have also deducted the same and connected the cable to their charging port and display port for use during class.

Anywho, I hope someone knows what the heck I'm talking about and if it exists, otherwise I'm going to look very silly.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hello,

A few months ago one of my college's Mac Lab acquired a handy little cable. Based off memory, it connects to the school's Mac via Thunderbolt and the other end split into a charger, HDMI, and one other I can't recall at the moment. I've only had a few chances to be in that classroom and use the cable, so my memory is limited.

I've been having trouble finding this cable on my own to purchase, as not every Mac Lab at school has one but it would be a great convenience to have one. I also own a 13" 2009 Macbook (A1181), which has a DVI port for display out -- so if there's one tailored to my model that would be even better. If not I can get a converter for the display port at least.

I was thinking maybe my memory is tricking me and the the cable didn't actually split into three separate connections. Perhaps the three connections were actually three separate cables wrapped together to seem like it belonged to one. But I remember specifically checking to see that all three connections were indeed connected to the school's Mac by a single port. Several classmates have also deducted the same and connected the cable to their charging port and display port for use during class.

Anywho, I hope someone knows what the heck I'm talking about and if it exists, otherwise I'm going to look very silly.

Did it connect to a Thunderbolt display?

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Did it connect to a Thunderbolt display?

As mentioned, to the best of my memory it did. It would connect to the school's Mac through the Thunderbolt port and the other end would connect to a student's MBP charging port, HDMI port, and one other I can't recall.

I apologize if my recollection is too vague.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
As mentioned, to the best of my memory it did. It would connect to the school's Mac through the Thunderbolt port and the other end would connect to a student's MBP charging port, HDMI port, and one other I can't recall.

I apologize if my recollection is too vague.

It's very vague but did it look like this?

led_display_connectors.jpg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
It's very vague but did it look like this?

Let me reiterate. I know for sure the "student-side" had a charger and HDMI connection. It's the end that connects to the school's Mac I can't quite recall being Thunderbolt or not.

Regardless, it's more a matter of finding out if such a "X-in-one cable" really does exist. I've tried doing product searches of my own but to no avail. Because ultimately, I'm looking to purchase a cable that connects to a Mac and also connects to and powers my Macbook with a split charger and HDMI (or mini DVI) cable.

Buy yes, your image looks to be something similar. Is that a product like the one I'm looking for? A cable that splits into three.

----------

The file name of the image you posted gave me some other keywords to search. Which brought me to an image gallery for Apple's Thunderbolt display monitor.

The lower cable looks to be the one my school has. Which seems to only have a charger and some sort of display port split on the end. Maybe that's why I couldn't recall the third cable, because there is none. So I'm trying to see if this cable is also sold as a separate accessory.

MC914_AV1

----------

Ah, but I also just realized the cable is built as a part of the monitor since multiple displays is the feature of the product (Thunderbolt Display Monitor). The cables at school also protrudes from the same area. So I guess there isn't such a cable I can just buy and take with me when I go to school to connect to the Macs there...? :(

----------

Yeah, it's definitely the cable featured on this monitor.

http://paulstamatiou.com/review-apple-27-inch-led-cinema-display/

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Let me reiterate. I know for sure the "student-side" had a charger and HDMI connection. It's the end that connects to the school's Mac I can't quite recall being Thunderbolt or not.

Regardless, it's more a matter of finding out if such a "X-in-one cable" really does exist. I've tried doing product searches of my own but to no avail. Because ultimately, I'm looking to purchase a cable that connects to a Mac and also connects to and powers my Macbook with a split charger and HDMI (or mini DVI) cable.

Buy yes, your image looks to be something similar. Is that a product like the one I'm looking for? A cable that splits into three.

----------

The file name of the image you posted gave me some other keywords to search. Which brought me to an image gallery for Apple's Thunderbolt display monitor.

The lower cable looks to be the one my school has. Which seems to only have a charger and some sort of display port split on the end. Maybe that's why I couldn't recall the third cable, because there is none. So I'm trying to see if this cable is also sold as a separate accessory.

----------

Ah, but I also just realized the cable is built as a part of the monitor since multiple displays is the feature of the product (Thunderbolt Display Monitor). The cables at school also protrudes from the same area. So I guess there isn't such a cable I can just buy and take with me when I go to school to connect to the Macs there...? :(

----------

Yeah, it's definitely the cable featured on this monitor.

http://paulstamatiou.com/review-apple-27-inch-led-cinema-display/

I figured it was a display. It would be pretty crazy if the school had you physically connect your Mac to their Mac.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The cable you're thinking of is the all-in-one cable for the Apple Cinema Display. Not to be confused with the very similar looking Apple Thunderbolt Display.

I don't believe the all-in-one cable is easily obtained or replaced. See page 70 for how it's attached internally on a 24" LED Cinema Display. I suspect the 27" is similar. http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/displays/led_cinema_display_24.pdf

I definitely don't think it'd work with anything other than a Cinema display.

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
I figured it was a display. It would be pretty crazy if the school had you physically connect your Mac to their Mac.

The cable you're thinking of is the all-in-one cable for the Apple Cinema Display. Not to be confused with the very similar looking Apple Thunderbolt Display.

I don't believe the all-in-one cable is easily obtained or replaced. See page 70 for how it's attached internally on a 24" LED Cinema Display. I suspect the 27" is similar. http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/displays/led_cinema_display_24.pdf

I definitely don't think it'd work with anything other than a Cinema display.

Thanks for the help you two.
Yeah, I was hoping there'd be such a cable that can be purchased, would be really convenient to have a 2-in-1 charger+display rather than bringing the entire A/C power adapter and display cable. I have a small 13" Macbook, so I find I run out of space quickly when working on web development. All the windows!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.