Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jw77777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Hello MacRumors people!

I just received my Nanoleaf Lightstrips, and I've been trying to set them up for 3 days, with very little help from their Tech Support. For some reason, when I try to add the accessory through the Home App, it recognizes the Lightstrips, but then it will say the Accessory is Unresponsive.

If I add it through the NanoLeaf App, I get a bunch of errors, yet, I'm able to control the lights, but it should work in the Apple Home App, since it's Matter based. I followed every instruction to the T, and nothing seems work and I can't operate it through the Apple Home App, especially since it is Apple HomeKit supported.

Can anyone shed some light to this? Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_2965.PNG
    IMG_2965.PNG
    93.6 KB · Views: 181

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I don't know this equipment personally, as I don't have any, but maybe throw up some screenshots of the error messages you are getting through the native app and perhaps that will help point people in the right direction to help you?

Also, maybe remove the items from your Nanoleaf app, restart devices including all of your home hubs and add them again?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Have you checked for firmware updates in the Nanoleaf app? I assume you have reset the light strips before trying to add it to the Home or Nanoleaf app (holding the power and brightness up buttons on the controller for five seconds)? What are you using for a Home Hub, and is it up to date?

Reactions: jw77777

jw77777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Have you checked for firmware updates in the Nanoleaf app? I assume you have reset the light strips before trying to add it to the Home or Nanoleaf app (holding the power and brightness up buttons on the controller for five seconds)? What are you using for a Home Hub, and is it up to date?
Yeah. I’m up to date with the firmware updates. It’s my first time using Nanoleaf, I had always heard good things. But I usually stick with Philips Hue, so easy to install. But Nanoleaf is waaaaay more affordable. And they’ve incorporated Matter which is obviously going to be the standard.

Here are some screenshots:

Attachments

• IMG_2967.jpeg
    IMG_2967.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2966.jpeg
    IMG_2966.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 59

jw77777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
I don't know this equipment personally, as I don't have any, but maybe throw up some screenshots of the error messages you are getting through the native app and perhaps that will help point people in the right direction to help you?

Also, maybe remove the items from your Nanoleaf app, restart devices including all of your home hubs and add them again?
I deleted the Nanoleaf App all together, as you’re able to just add the accessory through just the Home App with no issues. I’ve done all the restarts with my HomePods, Bridges and restarted all my iOS devices. So I don’t know what else it could be. :(

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Hmm, that does seem odd. I've got the Nanoleaf Essentials bulbs and they work fine. Was able to add them via the Home or Nanoleaf app. You didn't let us know what you're using for a hub though. I'm using a HomePod mini as my hub, so they are running on the Thread network. (You can view how it's connected in the Nanoleaf app.) Do you have have a Thread border router as the Home hub (Apple TV 4K, HomePod mini, or the new HomePod)? If not, then the lightstrip would be communicating using Bluetooth instead, and perhaps you have a poor Bluetooth connection.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

jw77777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Oh. I’m using HomePod Minis. HomePods original. Apple TV.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Oh. I’m using HomePod Minis. HomePods original. Apple TV.
Your original Homepod does not have Thread in it, but your minis do. Your Apple TV may or may not. It depends on the exact model you have. And since Apple likes to bounce control around from hub to hub without your input, that could be the issue. What specific model of Apple TV do you have?

jw77777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
I have the 2021 4K one. Funny thing is, it seems like it sorted itself out. I changed a few settings on my router. Like the channels that the the 2.4ghz and 5GHz were on. And Nanoleaf seems to be working without issue. Who knows? Thread is a funny thing but I’m into it. Recently bought some Thread/HomeKit rollershades. Anyone heard of Smart Wings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.