Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
madmaxmedia said:
It's not hairsplitting at all, it should have been pretty clear that the DRM was not cracked. Bypassed would have been an obviously better choice of words...

BTW- With the Winamp output stacker or Audio Hijack Pro, does the quality of the resultant WAV file depend on the quality of your soundcard?

I am not familiar with the details of what is going on, but I'm curious as to how good the produced WAV files are (basically how close they are to the original WMA.)

If you re-encode of course there is further loss in quality.
With Audio Hijack Pro, no - it only works on Macs, and all Macs have identical sound hardware (no dedicated sound card comes with any of them) (except possibly the Mac clones, which I'm ignoring for the sake of simplicity). On the Winamp side, your soundcard might make a difference in what you hear on your computer - regardless of your soundcard, what you hear in Winamp is the sound data that gets written to the WAV file.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
wrldwzrd89 said:
With Audio Hijack Pro, no - it only works on Macs, and all Macs have identical sound hardware (no dedicated sound card comes with any of them) (except possibly the Mac clones, which I'm ignoring for the sake of simplicity). On the Winamp side, your soundcard might make a difference in what you hear on your computer - regardless of your soundcard, what you hear in Winamp is the sound data that gets written to the WAV file.

Thanks. So that means there is essentially no quality loss when the WMV file gets converted to WAV? I understand of course that the WMV file itself was lossy. But from your description the WAV file should be the de-compressed output with no other changes.

If you then rip the WAV to CD, you have the same CD that you would've otherwise paid an extra .99 a track for. If you re-compress, you will have some further sound quality degradation (sort of like re-saving JPEG files.)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
madmaxmedia said:
Thanks. So that means there is essentially no quality loss when the WMV file gets converted to WAV? I understand of course that the WMV file itself was lossy. But from your description the WAV file should be the de-compressed output with no other changes.

If you then rip the WAV to CD, you have the same CD that you would've otherwise paid an extra .99 a track for. If you re-compress, you will have some further sound quality degradation (sort of like re-saving JPEG files.)
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! ;) :p :)

midgetwarrior

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2005
hey wrldwzrd89

wrldwzrd89 said:
You probably didn't know about Audio Hijack Pro, did you? With that, you don't need to monkey around with all this third-party soundcard business, and it works on any Mac. It does much the same thing this hack does with Winamp, only this is infinitely more flexible.

heh thats awsome!!, and no i didnt know about auido hijack pro.. sounds like a nifty tool that could come very in handy, about time someone out there did that for mac....
later...

midgetwarrior

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2005
well it gose like this

madmaxmedia said:
It's not hairsplitting at all, it should have been pretty clear that the DRM was not cracked. Bypassed would have been an obviously better choice of words...

BTW- With the Winamp output stacker or Audio Hijack Pro, does the quality of the resultant WAV file depend on the quality of your soundcard?

I am not familiar with the details of what is going on, but I'm curious as to how good the produced WAV files are (basically how close they are to the original WMA.)

If you re-encode of course there is further loss in quality.

i have no clue as to the world of auido hijack pro, but when it comes to this meathod resampling the quality loss kinda has to do with both the sound card and the machine it self. The really expensive sound cards have better "insluation technology" form interference caused by the noise your machines generate.
Now on a mac this really is not a problem cause there super quiet but PC's often sound like jet engines in your office due to there fans and other noise.

(pc side here) That noise caused by all thouse fan motors spinning and junk causes electromagnitc interference (inteference and wav sound being recaptured= bad) and in the end any recaputred auido usually will have a really annoying HISSSSSSSSSS or faint crackling noise. The sound quality in the end usually is less than the origional file and in order for it to sound the same as the origional you have to put though some crazy cleaning progam.
now if you re-encode this resampled file with out cleaning it first you will encure further loss of sound quaily unless its like an mp3 at 320kbps... then it will sorta be the same- slightly less than before......

hope this helped...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.