Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

617arg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
After some researching, and some recommendations, I went ahead and bought a NAS drive for my home/office. I got a Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo.

I am having some issues with it though, and have not been able to set it up.
Can someone who has this drive help me out?

I have the drive connected to my router, which is connected directly to my Mac Pro. When I click on NASNavigator 2 it sometimes can not find the IP address. A strange thing is that I have to either click on "OK" or "Cencel". Yes, Cancel is spelled wrong. Either button that I click on will just cause those same two options to slide down again. Eventually the program freezes up and I have to force quit.

When it does happen to connect it seems pretty slow. On the "Info" part of the drive mount there is only one folder named "Japanese", where all the manuals are, you guessed it, in Japanese. The box did not include a manual with how to set up the drive after installation, so I have no idea how to set up its RAID configuration or anything.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I have one of these drives and I didn't fully understand how to set it up at first. And yes, pretty much all of the documentation is on the drive itself, in the Info folder. However, I did get a printed quickstart guide in the box, and I believe the Info folder on mine has more languages than just Japanese.

I had to use the software on the CD to set up the drive (both in OS X and Vista), but after setting it up the one time both OS's will connect to the drive without trouble.

If your drive only has Japanese docs on it, you might consider returning it for another one. You could also try connecting it directly to your Mac to see if there's anything else on it.

It's a great NAS, though, once you get it set up.

617arg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

A friend of mine actually ended up passing by and helped set it all up. It turns out that for some reason the IP address it was trying to assign itself was wrong. He ended up manually entering the correct IP address and got the drive recognized on the Mac side.

Then, on Windows through Fusion, we had another funky IP address issue. There were somehow three different IP addresses that Windows was trying to access.

So far things seem to be working pretty smoothly with it. I'm impressed with the speed. Accessing through my direct connected Mac Pro works flawlessly. We then connected to the drive from a MacBook Pro wirelessly and I had no problems accessing my cad files through Fusion on that machine.

I'll be setting up the other laptops at another time but as of now I am very happy with how everything is working. Feels good to finally have a RAID setup for these files........with access throughout to boot!

617arg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Feels even better when you get remote access set up!

I was thinking of attempting to set it up myself, but think it might be wise to wait for my friend to stop by again........just so I don't screw anything up.

But, just so I know, do I first need to set up my ISP for remote access, or can everything be done through the Linkstation's web interface?

If it is easy enough, care to elaborate?

Remote access would definitely be sweet :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.