Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taomation 2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2023
Hi All,

First post. I am wanting to replace my 10TB Sata 3.5 7200 RPM drives with something larger, (at least 12TB), but it seems that everyone I look at is an NAS drive, and I am wondering if there are any problems associated with using one of these drives in a desk top, but I'm also wondering if the two 10 TB drives I have in there are already NAS drives. I'm not sure if there is a way to find out without opening up the machine. If there is I haven't found it. I'm in the middle of a big project so don't really feel like disturbing the machine if I don't have to.

Any knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You may join this thread (of course, read before you ask)

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
NAS drives are generally of higher reliability and vibration tolerance for mounting in a multi-drive chassis. This is no problem in a Mac Pro.
some of them have mounting holes in different locations. Check the article mentioned by the previous poster.

Reactions: arw

Taomation 2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2023
Great. That's kind of what I figured through what I was reading, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks, haraids. I appreciate the response...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.