Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I am not talking about at home either but at a friend's or family member's house instead so if there is a weather event at your location the data is still safe.

Of course you would have to make sure first both of you have fiber internet at least and unlimited data.

I think the biggest advantage is you can fix any issue yourself if a hard drive dies.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
The biggest advantage is speed and personal security for me, but I would have to answer your question by simply saying no, running your own cloud is not always better, and there are few situations where it is.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
The biggest advantage is speed and personal security for me, but I would have to answer your question by simply saying no, running your own cloud is not always better, and there are few situations where it is.

Why is running your own cloud not always better though ?

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002

Hello max2,

On paper, it would seem like running your own cloud would be cool!

However, are you prepared to do the initial (and continual) work of IT security, privacy, anti-hacking measures for your private cloud? It is not that easy to do. There are many "bad actors" out on the internet, constantly probing/attacking weak servers, weak clouds, weak networks, etc.

Personally, I would never expose my network to such a thing.

richmlow

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Hello max2,

On paper, it would seem like running your own cloud would be cool!

However, are you prepared to do the initial (and continual) work of IT security, privacy, anti-hacking measures for your private cloud? It is not that easy to do. There are many "bad actors" out on the internet, constantly probing/attacking weak servers, weak clouds, weak networks, etc.

richmlow

Your right but yes. I love security.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I think the big issue here is that having your own cloud is being conflated with backups or availability of data should there be any catastrophic event.

That said, having your own cloud is viable, as long as you think about how big you want that cloud to be. Personally if you are having a NAS, you will not want to have your personal data exposed to anything outside of your personal network. If having that cloud expand to your friend's house for the sake of availability of data, you are already risking your network being exposed to the public, making your data at risk for being hacked. If you were going to do that, unlimited data and speed isn't just the problem; you'll have to think about firewalls and VPNs to protect your data and your network, let alone accessibility to that data also over VPN. There's a lot more to consider than just speed and a big pipe, plus weigh those considerations against the sake of convenience.

Personally? I have a NAS and my own cloud. Like my NAS, my cloud does not leave my network. If I need to get documents from one machine or device to another, I do it while connected to my network, and no where else. If you're talking any weather related event affecting your accessibility to your data, what is more important is to have backups of your NAS and your data. Keep in mind that like RAID, a NAS is not a solution for backups.

Also, for the record, I've had my NAS (Synology DS213j) since it came out. I'm coming up on 10 years of it without losing a single disk out of it.

BL.

Reactions: max2

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Cost. Remember backups of your cloud too...

And like the previous guy, I have my own NAS (actually I have 2 of them), both synology. They are not exposed to the internet though, it's just local usage. Not sure I'd do it this way again if I had to start over. (and I'm an IT guy)

Last edited:

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I think the biggest advantage is you can fix any issue yourself if a hard drive dies.
I'm not really following how this is an advantage. I mean, it's not like a cloud service goes down because a hard drive containing your data died and you need to wait for them to fix it.

I'd have to agree with the others and say no, unless you're okay with putting in the time, effort, and costs associated to running your own.
  • Making sure security updates are applied all the time.
  • Making sure things are configured correctly, such as user accounts, open/closed ports, SSL, etc. so you don't open yourself up for attacks.
  • Managing backups, ideally in another location.
    • Using multiple disks in some sort of RAID setup does not count as backup. An attacker could mess with your data or lock you out; or the NAS could be stolen or lost in a fire/flood/natural disaster.
  • Having a backup power source like a UPS, so the NAS can shut down safely in case of power loss.
  • Costs associated to replacing the disks. Ideally, they should be replaced every 3-5 years.
I bought a NAS in late 2018, primarily to use for Time Machine and to store my GoPro videos and movies. I thought it would be cool to open it to the web so that I could access my files anywhere, but realized it'd be more daunting than I thought...so it's only used internally on my home network (and backed up to Backblaze). I work with computers and servers all day, I didn't want to come home and still have to maintain my NAS. Also, not not mention, a hard drive just started failing after 3.5 years of use.

Now if all this still sounds exciting and you want to run your own personal cloud... I'd say run the NAS at your home, and then another one at your friends/family only to be used to store your backups, not as an alternate source to access your data. Or if you do have a 3rd place to store your backups, then the one at your friends/family could be replicating your primary NAS and used as an alternate source.

Reactions: bobcomer

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
What are your uses for running a NAS server remotely? Are you mainly interested in a cloud app or network drive? Cause you'll only have access setting up network drives using a VPN, if you're not on a local network. Also, if there's a service or electrical outage at the NAS server's location, you're screwed, until service is back up. Do you live in a high risk area? Floods?

I recommend that if you're that worried, follow the suggestion from iStorm and run a NAS from your own home, and another from friends/family location. Or just make an offline backup one or twice a month and store that at your friends/family location.

I use a Synology Nas (DS1621+) and love it. I use Authy for 2 factor authentication and changed the default http(s) ports to a differ number. I also disabled Quickconnect and use Open VPN for complete remote access.

I loaded six 10Tb nas drives using shr-2 for 2 disk redundancy. And backup my media and important files to offline storage once a month or when needed. I have 35Tb of useable storage. Also two 500gb NVME drives for cache and 32gb RAM. Overkill, but it's been running 100% flawless.

I started off with a DS720+ (2 bay). I upgraded to the DS1621+ for more storage space and PCIE slot to install a 10gb card.

My uses are ...
Using shared folders as network drives on my desktops and mobile devices.
Auto backup of my Google Drive and Onedrive files.
Plex server.
TimeMachine and Windows Backup.
Surveillance Station for home IP cams.
Windows and Linux VMs (rarely use though)
etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.