Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

admwright

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
I am thinknig of moving files, images, email to a local network storage system. Most of the NAS systems mention supporting a Mail Server but this seems to actually host your own email rather then using an external suplier. What I am wanting to do is to keep using the email system from my provider but have the NAS download from the provider and make the emails available to any Mac or iOS device on the local network. Is this possible?

Thanks
A.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
No. is the Short answer.

if you want multiple mail clients to connect to a single depository then the depository is a mail server.
that would entail you running your own mail server, with all that entails and many home internet provider won‘t permit it on a home service.

whikst in theory you could direct multiple macs mail location to a NAS folder you can’t do that for an iOS deviCE.
also your Mac if left the home would redirect the mail location to local drive or say cannot access it so no mail out on the road.

which is why would end up running a local mail server and unless you have some very niche requirements is not worth the aggravation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.