Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savingsomemoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
Hello!

What are the benefits and differences between using a NAS vs. a Mac server?

I was recently listening to Todd Olthoff and the MPU podcast where they talk about NAS and a Mac server, and much of what they described was similar.

What the benefits of each, which one did you opt for and why?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Hello!

What are the benefits and differences between using a NAS vs. a Mac server?
For file storage, backup etc. I think the key question is whether you already have an old Mac Mini with ample storage sitting around that you want to re-purpose as a server. Otherwise, it probably makes more sense to get a NAS, many of which support things like TimeMachine (the support is now in the Samba software, which most NASs use).

None of the recent (last 5 years or so) Mac models are particularly suited for server use compared to a purpose-built NAS (low power processor, multiple internal hard drives, friendly web-based interface so you never need to connect a display) - the M1 Mini comes closest, but then you’ll be paying a lot of money for total CPU and GPU overkill, and relying on external boxes for storage. If you’ve got a spare M1 Mini there are better things to do with it (like, sell it for cash!)

The only exceptions for home/personal use are things like iTunes/Music sharing - there have been third party iTunes-compatable media servers, available with some NASs, but in my experience they tend to break with OS upgrades and turn into abandonware - so if that is important it might be a reason for using a Mac server. However, Music etc. is now pushing everybody to the cloud and if you have an extensive local media collection you will probably be looking at things like Kodi/MrMc and Plex which can happily use NAS as a media store. One case for having a more beefy processor in the server is for systems like Plex that can do on-the-fly transcoding, but even that’s not such a big deal if you’re serving modern devices that support most formats over a fast network.

For office “workgroups” etc. I seem to recall that Mac Os Server (even after it turned into an App) had some features for managing Mac workgroups with user accounts, iphones, mail etc. but a lot of that is obsolete or taken over by cloud services now, and for serious business there are various cloud/Linux-hosted Mac/iOS “fleet management“ tools available now.

Personally, years ago, I got a cheap HP “home server” box, installed Linux on it and used that, and it’s still going strong - but then I like messing with Linux... buying a ready-to-go NAS seems more practical.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I looked at NAS devices back around 2014 when I was getting serious about ripping a large DVD collection and watching on a couple Apple TV's. Was not impressed with the inexpensive ones, and decided that a Mac Mini would really be better for me, just run iTunes with home sharing and use regular file sharing to transfer media/share screens. That has worked really well for me, starting with a base 2012 Mini, moving to a base 2014 Mini and now on a 2.8ghz/8gb 2014 Mini with my media library on a 4tb USB SSD. I am still running Mojave so I can use iTunes, am reluctant to upgrade further since it all works well. It's more than adequate for what I need and really easy to manage, since it's just a Mac.

Turned my old 2012 2.6ghz quad-core i7 Mini to a file and time machine server a couple years ago. Already had 4 - 5tb external hard drives, so just plugged them all in (nice thing about a headless Mac is that all the USB ports are available to connect storage). I just use the built in MacOS features of file sharing and making it a time machine destination. It's just archival storage plus redundant backups with Carbon Copy and Time Machine. You could argue that NAS would be better for this, but I already had the Mini and the disks, so the only thing I spent was something like $9 for a dummy HDMI monitor plug. :)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
The iTunes server is only for music though and movies were one of my primary needs. Yes, you could use something like Plex as an alternative, but I setup my server when the Apple TV 3 was the current model and it didn't have an app store. Even if I did switch to something like Plex, it wouldn't play the movies I purchased through iTunes (due to DRM).

Reactions: Yodabeesh

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
Consider looking at TrueNAS

1. Open source (free)
2. Great documentation and community support
3. Widely in use
4. Runs on almost any x86 HW (check before you build/buy)
5. Built in integration with any number of cloud storage providers

Last edited:

savingsomemoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
Thanks y'all!

I am inching closer to a NAS, but every time I think about getting one, I feel it is a burden I don't really need. What's nice is it can manage my family backups and play home videos and photos cross-continent as a Plex Server.

I do wonder, I have an old Dell PC, that should do a decent job as a file server and a plex server, but using Windows to set it up is garbage. Plus I'm unsure of Mac's compatibility with a home Windows Server.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Thanks y'all!

I am inching closer to a NAS, but every time I think about getting one, I feel it is a burden I don't really need. What's nice is it can manage my family backups and play home videos and photos cross-continent as a Plex Server.

I do wonder, I have an old Dell PC, that should do a decent job as a file server and a plex server, but using Windows to set it up is garbage. Plus I'm unsure of Mac's compatibility with a home Windows Server.
What you’re trying to do isn’t demanding at all, so an old PC should be fine. My only advice is don’t use TimeMachine for your backups in this case. Carbon Copy Cloner and other solutions exist which will work much better over your network.

If you were editing video over your network, you’d want something higher performance, but you truly don’t need much performance for backups and streaming videos inside your home.

Reactions: savingsomemoney

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
If you have an old x86 machine, you might be able to run TrueNAS CORE, which has Plex plugin and supports TM.

Doesn't hurt to try before shelling out more coin$ for a new NAS.

savingsomemoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
What you’re trying to do isn’t demanding at all, so an old PC should be fine. My only advice is don’t use TimeMachine for your backups in this case. Carbon Copy Cloner and other solutions exist which will work much better over your network.

If you were editing video over your network, you’d want something higher performance, but you truly don’t need much performance for backups and streaming videos inside your home.

Do you happen to know how Carbon Copy Cloner would work with a Windows PC? I know they don't have a PC app, just like Time Machine.

savingsomemoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
If you have an old x86 machine, you might be able to run TrueNAS CORE, which has Plex plugin and supports TM.

Doesn't hurt to try before shelling out more coin$ for a new NAS.
I understand the point of saving $$$, which is really important. I've never heard of TrueNAS and wonder where I go if I have any issues. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time configuring and troubleshooting.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Another vote for Synology...mostly for ease of use and flexibility. The BTRFS file system includes snapshots, and Hybrid RAID allows easy drive redundancy as well as the ability to non-destructively grow volumes. All that trumps any desktop (Mac or Win), plus a 2 bay like the 220+ sips power, so probably less than half the power/cost to run too.

Add on all the extra possible functionality and a compelling tool for backing up and file syncing, including mobile devices and easy internet access.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
I understand the point of saving $$$, which is really important. I've never heard of TrueNAS and wonder where I go if I have any issues. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time configuring and troubleshooting.

Excellent documentation

Excellent forum developer/community support. Better than an OEM NAS forum.

Might take a bit to get it configured, but not much more than an OEM NAS. Once you have it configured, you can "set it and forget it!" - Ron Popeil

savingsomemoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
Excellent documentation

Excellent forum developer/community support. Better than an OEM NAS forum.

Might take a bit to get it configured, but not much more than an OEM NAS. Once you have it configured, you can "set it and forget it!" - Ron Popeil
Thank you! Looking at your enthusiasm I believe you'd be happy to help me set this up too :D

Reactions: ddavid

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Do you happen to know how Carbon Copy Cloner would work with a Windows PC? I know they don't have a PC app, just like Time Machine.
You mean backing up from a Mac to the Windows-based backup? I assume it would be just fine. I’d just run the trial version of CCC to be certain.

Yodabeesh

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
The iTunes server is only for music though and movies were one of my primary needs. Yes, you could use something like Plex as an alternative, but I setup my server when the Apple TV 3 was the current model and it didn't have an app store. Even if I did switch to something like Plex, it wouldn't play the movies I purchased through iTunes (due to DRM).
I’m in the same boat - I have a lot of locally stored media (music and home videos) that i manage with iTunes. I ran out of space on my old reliable 2014 MBP which I just use as a media jukebox at this point to access on my Apple TV. So I have an external HDD plus a TimeMachine HDD occupying both USB ports. I figure that a NAS would be an easy solution.

My concern is whether my NAS media can still be managed using my MBP iTunes without the media mappings being broken all of the time. It’s a pretty basic use case. All of my “regular” files just sync to iCloud, so I’m not worried about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.