Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I've been drinking coffee since my adolescence. I was the guy in grad residence at Carleton in Ottawa during my Masters' who had a french press and drank coffee in my student room rather than the dreg they served in the cafeteria.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Suppose you were going somewhere that couldn't get real coffee. Would you bring along No-Doz, or, instant coffee, in order to ward off the inevitable headaches?

No, actually, I wouldn't. In fact, I either forego it completely, or, if I am in one of those strange countries I frequently work in, I buy a French press and real coffee (in bulk) in the capital, and brew my own.

I have been known to include a French press and coffee (real) in my suitcase. And, in my current location, since I was unable to locate a coffee pot, I ordered a beautiful (and sturdy, yes) rather elegant Bialetti French press - something of a new departure for them, as they normally make exquisite espresso pots (one of which I have at home) from Amazon; the cost of the Bialetti French press was worth it; but that was only the beginning. As it happened, the cost of the transport - by post - exceeded that of the French press, and that of customs, taxes, and other excise duties exceeded that yet again. Yes, we coffee lovers will willingly pay stupid money to indulge in our, ah, little caffeine habit. However. This is one French press that has a fair bit of work to do to earn its living, but it is soldiering on pretty well and is used regularly.

You're certainly part of a large crowd! Lots of folks can't stand coffee.

I didn't drink coffee until I entered grad school. For some unexplainable, and likely drug induced crazy reason, I decided that I wanted to learn to do 2 things...finally learn to study, and learn to drink coffee.

Well, I learned to drink coffee!;)

But it is understandable that others eschew coffee...:D

I've been a connoisseur since adolescence and was one of those moody, philosophy reading, coffee drinkers; only real coffee was ever served in our house; I was taught to make real coffee as a nine year old kid and encouraged to join my parents when they had a post dinner pot at week ends.

I've only been drinking coffee for the past 9 months and now that I can brew my own fresh coffee, I'm loving it!

Wow. A mere babe in arms in the coffee universe. I'm speechless. Welcome to our world again, then. You've rapidly graduated
WOW!:eek:

I didn't realize that you only started drinking coffee so recently!

You've come a long way, baby!:cool:

:D

I've been drinking coffee since my adolescence. I was the guy in grad residence at Carleton in Ottawa during my Masters' who had a french press and drank coffee in my student room rather than the dreg they served in the cafeteria.

Yes. That was me, too. I was one of the very few who served the real stuff in pots when friends called by; I could never understand why they considered it sufficient to serve the dross we - I - term 'instant coffee' by way of reciprocity, while complimenting what I served.

Yeah, I PM'd some guy back in January or February seeking advice on espresso and this is what happened! :cool:

Little did you know what the future would bring by way of enlightenment and initiation.

Whomever it was you PMed is a dangerous corrupter of youth! :(

:p

Yes. Or guardian to the well sign-posted path to coffee nirvana......

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wow. A mere babe in arms in the coffee universe. I'm speechless. Welcome to our world again, then. You've rapidly graduated

Little did you know what the future would bring by way of enlightenment and initiation.

Yes. Or guardian to the well sign-posted path to coffee nirvana......

My father drinks coffee all day everyday. But as I mentioned once, somewhere in our delightful espresso thread, my father drinks that other stuff many label coffee, but isn't.

I tried his coffee once or twice growing up and didn't like the taste at all. Generally, I liked the smell but not the taste. That turned me off and away from coffee for many years. At the beginning of this year I was diagnosed with diabetes and had to quit drinking soda pop. Therefore I needed a new source of caffeine. This is what led me to espresso, since I didn't know anything about it, nor had I tasted it before. I don't like pure espresso, and agree with my father that "it tastes like mud." He first tried espresso in France while in the Army during the Vietnam War. LOL But I do love the espresso-based drinks and that's what I stick to.

Now that I've had a taste of 'real' coffee, not that other stuff, at the age of 35, I actually enjoy it and have found a brand/blend that I absolutely love. Adding to that, grinding my own beans and brewing a pot right away has added to the enjoy-ability of it.

I will not drink that stuff my father does and I look forward to the day when he visits and I can brew for him real, fresh coffee so I can see if he notices a difference or not.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My father drinks coffee all day everyday. But as I mentioned once, somewhere in our delightful espresso thread, my father drinks that other stuff many label coffee, but isn't.

I tried his coffee once or twice growing up and didn't like the taste at all. Generally, I liked the smell but not the taste. That turned me off and away from coffee for many years. At the beginning of this year I was diagnosed with diabetes and had to quit drinking soda pop. Therefore I needed a new source of caffeine. This is what led me to espresso, since I didn't know anything about it, nor had I tasted it before. I don't like pure espresso, and agree with my father that "it tastes like mud." He first tried espresso in France while in the Army during the Vietnam War. LOL But I do love the espresso-based drinks and that's what I stick to.

Now that I've had a taste of 'real' coffee, not that other stuff, at the age of 35, I actually enjoy it and have found a brand/blend that I absolutely love. Adding to that, grinding my own beans and brewing a pot right away has added to the enjoy-ability of it.

I will not drink that stuff my father does and I look forward to the day when he visits and I can brew for him real, fresh coffee so I can see if he notices a difference or not.

Whatever else I have had, wherever I have lived, whether or not it came with cooking facilities, I have always, always, always had a French press (at the bare minimum). This, along with a kettle, or even, decent filter paper and a plastic cone are all one needs; for this is the very bare minimum essential for a decent, civilised, quality of life....and this is what allows for real coffee to be prepared as is necessary, needed, and wanted......

I hope that your father will really enjoy the coffee you are so clearly looking forward to preparing (with that loving, insane, attention to detail that is the hallmark of serious coffee drinkers; even here, in my current location, it is a ritual marked by a sequence of precise actions, which, carried out slowly, with care, means that it does take a little time.......and that, in turn, makes the whole experience of drinking the coffee, when it is finally ready, all the more enjoyable.....)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
You can tell you do not know your coffees. Pitiful statement really.

I will, immodestly, assert that I know a bit about coffee. And knowing a bit about coffee, I know that different folks enjoy different coffee preparations and different drinks.

The assertion above that someone who doesn't enjoy straight espresso doesn't know about coffee is...ah...how to say this and not get Banned...less than well informed.

What is pitiful about not enjoying straight espresso, might I ask.

Addendum: Not that it will make any difference, but just to let you know that the coffee enthusiasts who post on the coffee threads all work to create friendly, welcoming, and helpful post. We have created a welcoming and friendly atmosphere on those threads, and would appreciate it if you would follow suit.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I will, immodestly, assert that I know a bit about coffee. And knowing a bit about coffee, I know that different folks enjoy different coffee preparations and different drinks.

The assertion above that someone who doesn't enjoy straight espresso doesn't know about coffee is...ah...how to say this and not get Banned...less than well informed.

What is pitiful about not enjoying straight espresso, might I ask.

Addendum: Not that it will make any difference, but just to let you know that the coffee enthusiasts who post on the coffee threads all work to create friendly, welcoming, and helpful post. We have created a welcoming and friendly atmosphere on those threads, and would appreciate it if you would follow suit.

Great post, and may I endorse every word.

I'll add that the espresso (and coffee) thread are a splendid addition to the MR universe, warm, welcoming, full of knowledge and lore, funny, informative and wonderfully free of exchanges that smack of ill-humour, invective or sheer bloody-minded bile.

And this makes it a warm and welcoming and witty universe, an exceptionally pleasant place to step into with a view to paying a brief or lengthy visit, while stopping by for a virtual cup of espresso and chatting with online friends. A rare and charming pleasure.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm glad there is more to being a coffee connoisseur than the perceived requirement of liking pure, or straight, espresso in order to have knowledge and experience of coffee.

There are so many variations on coffee from the roasts, blends, grinds and brewing methods that the possibilities of finding what one likes best is near endless.

In addition, the equipment involved in all of these processes is so great that it also adds a delightful dimension to the experience as each machine brings it's own nuances and quirks to the individual preparing a cup.

Regular brewed coffee and espresso-based drinks are my favorites and I'm always eager to try new brands and blends and recipes for them.

ItalianRacer

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
Espresso is simply the best variation of coffee and anyone parallels it to 'dirt' does not deserve to even consider themselves a lover of coffee. That is just plain and simple. Sorry we do not dress it in whip-cream and add in little sprinkles of vanilla. I thought this forum was for men, not for girls who Instagram their Starbucks coffee cups.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Espresso is simply the best variation of coffee and anyone parallels it to 'dirt' does not deserve to even consider themselves a lover of coffee. That is just plain and simple. Sorry we do not dress it in whip-cream and add in little sprinkles of vanilla. I thought this forum was for men, not for girls who Instagram their Starbucks coffee cups.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

I would suggest, however, that there are many who enjoy their espresso in different ways, and there is a general agreement among the coffee lovers who post here that what pleases someone is all that matters.

Among the coffee freaks we are committed to treating each other with courtesy, respect, and an acceptance that different folks like different drinks.

The post above is rude, arrogant, and insulting. Equating your coffee preference with masculinity is...well...sad. And since there are women who post on the coffee threads...it is even more insulting and foolish. This thread is not for men, or women, but rather for coffee lovers.

You might consider joining the coffee enthusiasts in the respectful and welcoming atmosphere we have all worked at creating.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir

u mad bro?

Back to the friendly discussion... my favorite way of drinking coffee is Vietnamese coffee via French press, served with condensed milk. YUM!

My next favorite is... French press, sans condensed milk. :D

Can you tell I love French pressed coffee?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
u mad bro?

Back to the friendly discussion... my favorite way of drinking coffee is Vietnamese coffee via French press, served with condensed milk. YUM!

Once again I get to display my ignorance...

What is Vietnamese coffee? Is is a particular bean? Or a style of presentation?:confused:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
u mad bro?

I have a press stashed in my desk at work. Suffice it to say it has been around the block a few times!;)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Once again I get to display my ignorance...

What is Vietnamese coffee? Is is a particular bean? Or a style of presentation?:confused:

Both. If you ever get a chance to try it, do. Authentic Vietnamese restaurants serve them. I had some of the best in Little Saigon in San Francisco.

I admit I want to go visit Vietnam JUST to see how delicious it is at the origin.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It is a sad day when a coffee thread has to get moderated. :(

Yes, it is, isn't it? Coffee (in the popular imagination - I'm thinking of the early 17th century coffee houses) always seemed to me to have been conceived as a sort of space for quiet contemplation, and interesting conversation........

Some of my very best times (and memories) as an undergrad were spent in the various university coffee shops....those long Meaning of Life conversations......where you discussed books, music, politics......and The Meaning of Life....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.