Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
Yosemite 10.10.5, oldschool Mac Pro flashed to 5,1.

This behavior started a while ago.
First, it's just been TextEdit: occasionally, when I've had TextEdit document(s) open in the background and the app is running, when I activate TextEdit again in order to bring the document window visible, nothing happens. It's out of sight for no reason and there's no way I can bring it visible again. If I right-click TextEdit in dock, I see which document(s) are open and indeed what I'm trying to bring forth IS open, but it just won't show up. In that menu, if a document was currently frontmost, you'd have a little bullet on the left side of its name, but when this odd behavior happens, there is no bullet, only the file's name or names, if there's multiple documents open. And yes, I am indeed referring to the section of that menu where it lists *currently open* documents, I'm not mixing it up with the section above that which lists recently opened documents which are not currently open. The only way to overcome this is to quit TextEdit and start again. If I activate it and it won't bring the document visible, I can save the document by hitting cmd+s first but it feels awful as there's no way of knowing or remembering if I'm saving over something that shouldn't have been saved in the form that it happened to be while left open.
I only have one display, and no additional spaces. Dashboard is treated as its own space, though. If I hit mission control in order to see all windows and all spaces, I can confirm that there are no additional hidden spaces to which those documents could've hidden into. They just won't show up.

Yesterday it happened with Finder. Windows were open and visible in its menu but I could not bring them forth so I had to cmd-w to close them, then start again.

And right now, this just happened with iTunes. It was just playing normally, I had minimized it out of the way, and the next time I tried to bring it forward again, clicking it does not do the trick. If from the dock icon's menu I click "show all windows", I get a view of my dock and blurred view of wallpaper image with no windows, nothing to pick.
If I activate iTunes, then from the Window menu choose anything, such as "MiniPlayer", I will see it. But if I pick "iTunes" again, it won't show. If from Window menu I pick "Minimize", I will see where the iTunes application frame was supposed to be, and I see the minimizing genie effect animation as it gets minimized. Clicking the dock icon in order to maximize it again, I see the animation but then when it's supposed to be fully maximized, that view just disappears.

I made some hotkeys that bring a window to the top left corner of the display and it works for applications that work normally, but it won't do the trick to applications if they go to that weird hiding state.

Any ideas of what's going on here and how to try to fix this?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.