Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubstir

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
I have been using Gmail through iOS 10.3.3's native mail app and I removed the account yesterday. I tried setting up the account again today and no luck. I've tried Google, Exchange, and Other; none work. Did Apple and/or Google change server settings that would prevent me from signing in?

When I use the Google default setup, I enter my email > then Password > 2FA code > and the iOS screen goes immediately back to the email choice screen. I have done this several times with the same results. I would prefer to NOT use a third party iOS app for Gmail.

dubstir

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
Also, does anyone know how and where to delete the information saved by iOS regarding Google accounts?

Meaning... I can reset my phone to factory, then signin with my Apple ID as NEW, then download Google Drive and sure enough, both my Google acccounts are listed with an on/off toggle. So that means iOS is saving those two accounts somewhere.

alitek12

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Also, does anyone know how and where to delete the information saved by iOS regarding Google accounts?

Meaning... I can reset my phone to factory, then signin with my Apple ID as NEW, then download Google Drive and sure enough, both my Google acccounts are listed with an on/off toggle. So that means iOS is saving those two accounts somewhere.

I just recently acquired a new iPhone 7 running 10.3.2 and I had the same issue, my solution was to restore an old 10.3.x backup back to the phone which contained the gmail account. After doing this, I had my accounts back and was able to even add new gmail accounts. Weird but that fixed it for now.

dubstir

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
I just recently acquired a new iPhone 7 running 10.3.2 and I had the same issue, my solution was to restore an old 10.3.x backup back to the phone which contained the gmail account. After doing this, I had my accounts back and was able to even add new gmail accounts. Weird but that fixed it for now.
That's odd, makes it debatable on which company's end the issue resides. I've been using 10.3.3 since it's release, and I cannot remember a setup issue and I have deleted the account and setup the account many many times. I'm wondering if Google changed something (yet again) with the release of the web redesign.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
I have the same problem. I changed my Gmail password and when I tried to update it on my iPhone it wouldn't take it. So I thought I just delete the account and redo it and encounter exactly what dubstir was saying above. After the SMS-Code from the 2-step-verification it goes back to the screen of adding a new email. I am stuck :(

dubstir

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
I turned off 2FA for my Gmail account thinking maybe, just maybe... nope. I am still unable to setup Gmail within iOS 10.3.3. I suppose this is jsut another reason to not use Gmail as my primary email provider.

dubstir

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
I gave in and updated to IOS 11.4, now Gmail is working again :rolleyes:

Oh man, I feel sorry for you, lol. Gmail working on iOS 10.3 just isn't that important to me, as Gmail is not my main email account and iOS 11 has nothing important to offer.

I still wonder which company broke iOS's Gmail connection.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Well I did the update because I wanted to make sure my phone is secure and also, well at some point in time one has to... and IOS 10 was never that great IMHO anyway, quite buggy and many crashes. I sometimes feel IOS 8 was really the 'prime IOS', but anyway, off topic :) And frankly IOS 11 is not slower on my 7+ than IOS 10, so far so good. And I guess i will get used to to new layout (which I am not the biggest fan of).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.